1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Theories of the Atonement

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's quite clear. He was punished for our sins. We won't be. Your pedantry notwithstanding, that's a substitute.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. The chastening was for our sins. I agree. He was sinless and became sin for us.

It is obvious, I think, that you (and a few others here) cannot see what you presuppose (that God was punishing Christ with the wrath due our sins).

So we can just move on with the understanding I absolutely agree with Isaiah 53 while rejecting Penal Substitution Theory as a humanistic corruption.

3. MichaelBoryAlis

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 11:36 keeps it simple -
    "For out of Him and through Him and to Him are All Things"

Or, I Cor 15:28 "And God shall be All in All"

"All Things" is an interesting Bible Study.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Throught Christian history all Christians have confirmed Isaiah 53.

But throughout history most Christians have not interpreted the passage to mean that God was punishing Jesus instead of punishing us.

Advocates of Penal Substitution Theory typically defend their interpretation of the passage by offering up the passage and saying "that is what it means".

But that is not what the text actually states, and historically that interpretation is held by a minority (within Christianity as a whole, it is a majority view with Reformed churches and Baptists).

So my question was not what verses were used but how do you interpret those passages to mean God punishing Christ instead of punishing us when most Christians have not come to that conclusion.

The reason I get aggravated in these discussions is thus far no member has explained how they get from Scripture to Penal Substitution Theory (they just pretend there can be no other interpretation).

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then let the Law teach you again those things which be the first principles of the doctrines of Christ.

Lev 1:4 And he shall put his hand upon the head of the burnt offering; and it shall be accepted for him to make atonement for him.
    NIV: accepted on your behalf
    This act of identification is repeated in the offerings for sin, and offerings for the debts of sin, trespass.

Whether one is coming for acceptance, to atone for one's sins, and to pay the damages, one brings a substitute, and that one is Christ, and it is all accomplished in Christ's one act on the Cross.

for he that is hanged [on a cross] is accursed of God. Deuteronomy 21:23

Now that it has been established, that all things due our sins, even the penalty, are visited upon the sacrificial victim, it only remains for you to determine whether or not the sins of the elect deserve God's wrath, or if His wrath is even a penalty for sin. If it wasn't poured out on our substitute, then it wasn't due us to begin with.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are still missing the target. I believe Christ is the guilt offering on our behalf. Deuteronomy 21:23 relates to Isaiah 53 - if Israek considered the man accursed under the Law and was because of a crime killed then the body was hanged in a tree as a sign, but removed prior to sundown.

Christ did come under the curse for us.

I an asking you to connect Scripture to the unbiblical myth that God punished Christ (something Peter rejected in his sermon) and that Jesus died instead of us dying

You cannot because no evidence exists in Scripture. It is a form of Roman Catholicism carried over by some Protestants who do not realize just how Catholic they have remained.

Penal Substitution Theory owes just as much to Roman Catholic tradition as it does to Scripture.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I'm dead on. It's just the kink in yer think that enables your fence-riding.

If Christ didn't suffer it, it wasn't anything we were headed for.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure what fence you imagine I am riding (that seems to be a silly claim - I just disagree with your position).

You are just creating a bit of a strawman. I never claimed Christ did not suffer the fate we are all heading for. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I disagree that our redemption was founded on God punishing Christ instead of us. Scripture only addresses the "punisher" a few times, and then as "wicked nen" by the "preordained plan of God".

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    C

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless Jesus paid and atoned to the Father our obligated and due sin debt, how can any get saved?

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The divine wrath of the Father towards sin has to be propiation by someone!

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We can show MANY verses supporting it for the scriptures, but you would just reject them!

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NO, the Father punished and judged our sins in the Person of Jesus, as God was in Christ providing for our reconciliation!

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guess main sticking point is that God placed divine wrath against Jesus, but Jesus was a willing participate of that happening!

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did Jesus become our Sin bearer while upon that Cross, was he forsaken by the father?

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying that the Father is greater the Jesus?

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Spirit Himself was brooding over the Earth in Genesis 1, and he is not Jesus!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus experienced while upon that Cross the very same all lost sinners will in Judgement by God for their sins!

20. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to the OT Law sin must be punished to satisfy the wrath of God against us sinners. Jesus the Lamb of God took the punishment upon Himself and became a curse on our behalf. This is what Substitutionary Atonement means.