1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Theories of the Atonement

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again the simple fact of Christ's propitiatory reconciliation provision is covered over with nonsense to hide the simplicity of Christ dying for all humankind, those to be saved and those never to be saved. His birth, life, death and resurrection provides fallen humankind with the means of salvation, and for those placed into Christ spiritually by reason of God crediting their faith as righteousness, eternal salvation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the discussion is (should be) very simple and kind even as the topic can become complicated.

1. Christians agree with the same passages but not with one another.

2. This means there is no ground to be gained by quoting Scriprure (because we all agree with the text of Scripture offered).

3. What is to be discussed is where we differ.

4. That is done by explaining how we get from the text to our differing conclusions (not by simply repeating our views over and over again ignoring the fact that millions have read the passage and walked away with a different conclusion.

1. The chastisement of our peace was upon Him.

I believe this means that the chastisement for our peace was upon Jesus. That is how I read the passage. Jesus took upon Himself thus chastisement ("became sin for us").

Others say this means God was punishing Jesus instead of punishing us.

How do you conclude that this chasening was Hod punishing Jesus?

Where do you get that Jesus suffered this chasening as a punishment instead of God punishing us?

2. Yet it was the Lords will to crush Him and to cause Him to suffer.

I believe Christ suffered and died by the hands of the wicked in accordance to God's predetermined plan. It was the will of God that Jesus suffered and die, He offered Himself as a guilt offering.

Others say this verse means God was pouring out His wrath on Christ instead of on us.

Where do you get the idea to put God in the role of "the wicked"? Where do you get it is divine wrath Jesus suffered?