1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Time is not an Eternal Concept

Discussion in 'Creation vs. Evolution' started by rockytopva, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Angels and heaven itself werethe first creations of God!

2. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We have no account of the creation of angels, only that there are a lot of them!

But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, - Hebrews 12:2

My mother used to tell me that God has the big picture and we have the small. Believing generalities is easy, but there are specifics in which our mind cannot comprehend,.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everything was created, only God Himself is eternal!

4. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: - Genesis 1:22

I would bet you that verse refers to much activity that befell the eternities.

5. Brad H.

Brad H. New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Time is only a concept. It is how we measure the space between events or a space within which any event may occur. Matter does not have to exist in order for time to exist because time is really actually only a conceptual thing. If you could some how exist within some black nothingness where no matter was present you could not measure time. Time on earth is measured by the rotation of the earth and its location in its orbit around the sun. Absent any of these how would you know a moment of time had passed or a year of time had passed? Answer...you wouldn't. Therefore if time is only a human conception then we can conceive of time existing infinitely in both directions from this present moment. Therefore conceptually time would be infinite or eternal.

This will blow your mind... When John was transported into heaven, from the isle of Patmos, and given the things he was to write in the book of Revelation, he was transported into "future" heaven and not current heaven. That would mean that John was the first and so far only known human time traveler. It's not entirely inconceivable that in heaven he even saw "future" John and spoke to him. But again time is only a conceptual thing and in eternity has no real meaning. That's why God says a thousand years to Him can be as one day or one day can be like a thousand years. In other words our concepts of time have no intrinsic value to Him. In Isaiah 48:12-16 and Hebrews 1:1-10 the Lord speaks of a time in which He was stretching out the heavens, forming the worlds, and laying the foundations of the earth. If the Lord can conceptually speak of time before the universe existed then why can't we?

6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matter and energy as we know them are time related entities. Neither of them for us exist without their element of time.

7. Brad H.

Brad H. New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes absolutely. I didn't think that I implied that they could. What I am saying is that time itself is just a human concept. Consider the mayfly which I am told only lives for 24 hours. When my wife asks me to clean out the garage and I tell her I will, she expects it to happen within the next month but the mayfly doesn't expect it to happen in his entire lifetime. That's just a silly little analogy to show how we are so entwined with our concepts of time that we have convinced ourselves that it is a real tangible property. It is not. We live around thirty thousand times longer than a mayfly so our sense of urgency for something to get accomplished is much less. Likewise if a creature lived thirty thousand times longer than us (about 240,000 years) his sense of urgency is diminished even much more than ours. Now consider someone who is eternal and does not ever die. To Him our concepts of time have absolutely no meaning. He would only care that something did or did not, will or will not happen. An event that happened billions of years ago or only seconds ago are just as relevant. The point here is that time is only a concept and not a physical tangible thing, and as a concept there is nothing wrong with talking about time before the formation of matter or after its destruction. A concept is just that.

8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalms 90:2, ". . . from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. . . ." Psalms 119:89, ". . . For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven."

• Informative Informative x 1