Tithing the Lotto Winning to Your Church???

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, May 20, 2015.

1. HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely, if the local church won't accept it give it to a worthy organization or needy individuals who will.

HankD

2. OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've read this comparison in the past, and do not think it's all that valid. Owning stocks is owning a piece, however tiny, of a business which one would hope is producing goods and services for society, and most folks who so invest are looking for a gradual, modest return, not a get-rich-quick objective. When my state's lottery was created thru citizen referendum 40+ years back, I voted against it, out of conviction that it was a poor way to fund state services, mainly because it encouraged the get-rich-quick-without-working mindset, but also because it would prey on those least able to afford it. Shortly after the start of the state lottery, I was twice given a ticket by friends. Because of the thought behind the gift, I accepted and checked for the results, and would gladly have offered a share of the winnings (there were none) to my church.

Having said that, I also have participated in the drawings for the moose season and for any-deer permits, as I see these as the fairest way to allocate a limited resource, and because "winning" gives one merely the opportunity to hunt a particular type of animal. When the state changed the one-only chance in the moose drawing to one-for-$5/three-for-$10/six-for-$20, I dropped out due to that conviction. I've never criticized anyone for continuing in the moose drawing (which just returned to one-only) or in the state lottery, but intend never to participate in the latter.

3. HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here in WA State most of the proceeds go to the school system (or so we are told). They call it a voluntary tax. so there are two reasons that one can use to justify the purchase of a ticket and hey you might win.

Actually if it were a voluntary tax wouldn't (or shouldn't) all the money go to the school system?

BTW, I lived in Maine for 15 years in Montville about 20 miles out of Belfast - close to Liberty and Freedom Maine.

HankD