To Those Who Hate Calvinism: What is Your BIG problem With it?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Yeshua1, May 9, 2013.

1. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think you need to address each point....

2. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DRJa,

God does not elect us based on what we do, or will do....He choose us while we were yet sinners, and quite unlovely.
    You are posting a wrong view of foreknowledge. God foreknows persons.....not the actions of the persons{while God knows all possible actions and cannot increase or diminish in knowledge or understanding} the biblical language is:

For .....WHOM....he did foreknow...not WHat He did foreknow as you suggest.
    In the bible backsliding is apostasy...it is used 17 times in 3 ot books...it is always rebellion and apostasy to perdition.

What I believe you mean is when we sin...do we lose some degree of assurance...of course we do.I am not saying some small sin....but if we take sin lightly and our lives can be described as the same as the unsaved ...day after day....there is no grounds for any biblical assurance.

The scripture links the two as part of the whole. They can be spoken of separately but they are linked for most regular christians.....no fruit...no root.

Now you said i missed something...what do you want a response on...

3. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are very mistaken. Calvin was from the 16th century and Whitefield was from the 18th!

4. preacher4truth Active Member

I wouldn't be too hard on him. He probably meant he emailed him. :thumbs:

5. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DrJamesAch
    You expect a response and have gotten responses,although this kind of rhetoric demonstrates you do not understand the position....as all Calvinists teach that God has ordained the ways and means

Give any examples of any well known biblical calvinist that preaches against evangelism.This hollow post does not further the discussion at all.A biblical Calvinist reading your post does not see it is acredible at all.

Calvinists have been in the forefront of modern missions...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Carey_(missionary)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NE9CFM/?tag=baptis04-20

6. DrJamesAch New Member

Yup, wrong John. Letters to Wesley about Calvinism.

7. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DrJamesAch
    You are not answering the responses....you give an answer that does not address the issue.

Let me make it clear enough a first grader could "get It"

On a piece of paper....
    1]Draw a big Circle, write in the circle...all mankind ,dead in Adam and sinners.....all men ever born. These are ALL in Adam.....they are condemned children of wrath......if God does not save them they go into second death

2] Now inside the circle...draw another large circle....mark this circle...all who are in Christ by new birth,Spiritually alive,Elect sheep.

Those in circle two[in Christ}...were at one time in circle one{in adam}

That is what eph 2 says.....you in times past WERE children of wrath....even as others.....BUT GOD..

God in electing mercy makes the difference.
    So the text makes it clear, that while all are born sinners by first birth, only those by second birth are found in Christ. Do you see it now????

Ephesians says it is God who makes the difference.

The context of Romans 5 is Paul is explaining how those described in5:1,have peace with God, being justified. The free gift does not come upon All men in Adam...it comes upon All in Christ.....that is why he says it is unto Manyin the following verses.

15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.

19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

That is why the ALL...divides into to groups of many!!!!

8. preacher4truth Active Member

You've failed to rebut the Word of God which CLEARLY states knowing our election in 1 Thess. 1:4. Yet this is something you falsely swept away and call circular reasoning, which is another fallacious conclusion of yours. '...knowing brothers your election of God...BECAUSE...&c' There is no 'circular reasoning' there, only plain and undeniable Scriptural proof.

You'd do your soul some good to admit your error and that we can and do know we are elect which is opposite your straw man accusation.

Also in 2 Peter 1:10 ...'make your calling and election sure' (by continuing in the following actions) which equals the perseverance of Saints.

- Blessings

9. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well brother, be prepared that since you misspoke some Calvinists will beat you down until they feel you will be sufficiently scared to ever try to refute Calvinism ever again. The last post case in point.

10. DrJamesAch New Member

I called it circular reasoning because this is how your argument goes against any of my responses to it:

"I am saved because I am elect; I am elect because I am saved; I am saved because I am elect. The evidence that I am elect is because I am saved. The evidence that I am saved is because I showed a verse proving that I am elect. The reason that verse proves that I am of the elect, and therefore proves my election is because I am saved."

Just because a Bible verse states "knowing your election" does not mean that YOUR NAME is in that verse, or that YOU are elected. My original question was how do you know you that YOU are elected, and when I asked that, you quoted a Bible verse that spoke of believers in general under Paul's preaching that Paul knew were saved. I didn't ask you to give evidence about Paul's converts, I asked about YOU.

When I made the statement "is your name written in the Psalms?", for some odd reason you took that obvious rhetorical question and I assumed that I must have really wanted to know if I could open up my Bible and find names written between verses. Forgive me for assuming you were smart enough to figure that out. I overestimated you.

11. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If you were a bit more objective you might have noticed that he has jumped into the BB saying calvinists do not preach the gospel outside of church, and in fact speak against it, he like many before him then listed strawman after strawman, that he maybe figured no one would answer him back on.
    His strawmen did not come close to truth as it is found in scripture.
    So why do you act surprised? Yes...he mis-spoke....but even if he meant whitefields letter to wesley.....it indicates he is not offering sincere objections.

We would welcome any sincere biblical objections on any or all the points....but shallow strawmen....not so much.

Dr.White answered your man that you linked to from the blog page...did you listen to the brief answer?

12. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Objective how? As in have not made up my mind yet? Uh no I am not. My lack of objectivity may only be on your part not mine. If you are referring to James White no I will not listen to him. I have no respect for him whatsoever.

13. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why? Because he so cogently defends the faith once delivered on a consistent basis? Or are you an Ergun Caner fan?

14. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So tell me. What does Ergun Caner have to do with this?

15. jonathanD New Member

James White really goes after Caner for his "misrepresentations".

16. DrJamesAch New Member

Ah, they put all non Calvinists in the same category, and all KJVO's in the same categories and all IFB in the same category, so I'll exercise my liberty to put Wesley and Calvin in the same category (even though I don't remember Wesley burning heretics):) So John Calvin, John Wesley..ah..who cares, both infant baptising, amillennial heretics that never completely shook of the shackles of the Roman whore.

17. HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Icon....You will IGNORE Scripture and define it as it suits you...and I demonstrate where and how you do it here:

18. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I am just wondering why you have no respect for Dr. White whatsoever. I was putting out a possible reason you may have for loathing of him.

19. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess you really haven't read Dr. White's book on the KJV controversy wherein he lists something like 10 categories or so of varying KJV gradations.

Liberty does not = license. You are way off the beam.

20. DrJamesAch New Member

I even have Calvinist friends that don't like James White. James White is one of those win-the-debate-at-all-costs Bible agnostics and is an expert in straw man arguments against the KJVO position.