1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Today's COPS Incident

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by InTheLight, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I would have just had to be wrong. I believe after Eric Garner, police departments all around the country made mention that as an officer you don't want to put your arm around anyone's neck. So again, you start trying to choke me or yank me by my neck, I'm going to respond.

I wouldn't tell a woman being choked by her husband to just submit and sue him. So I'm certainly not going to advocate that a young girl sit back and submit to being choked.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How did resisting work out for Garner?
    Apples and oranges. The husband is trying to harm her. The officer is trying to subdue her. The officer will stop when she submits.

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Had he arrested her at this point? If not, why was he putting his arms on her at all? if she was resisting leaving with him, did he place her under arrest? That is the only just cause, outside of her about to do herself or someone else bodily harm, that would justify him putting his hands on her to do anything.

But the Sheriff has already said he didn't follow procedure.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Got him murdered. And that's why it'll be a cold day in Hades before you see any black person who saw that video just sit or stand there and let an officer put his arm around their necks. And believe me , these kids remember that video.

It might be apples and oranges to you. But it ain't to the young lady who was being choked.

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

That's right she said no. That would justify the arm around the neck and being thrown across the room techniques officer friendly applied. Is there any circumstance in an interaction with police that couldn't be called resisting?

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wouldn't matter. The momoent you laid hands on that girl, the second guessers would be all over it.

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I don't see any legal reason for her to not resist unless he was placing her under arrest and made known that he was doing so. And if she wasn't being arrested, he shouldn't have placed a hand on her.

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct. And physically resisted when he tried to pull her from the desk.
    His arm was NOT around her neck. He had his arm around her head, which is a restraint taught in every Law Enforcement Academy in the country.
    Agreed. He went from restraint to full on body slam. Way too much way too soon.
    Yes. Had she stood up like a polite, well raised young lady and complied none of this would have happened.

I have attached a frame by frame study of the other video from a different angle which better shows what actually happened.

http://louderwithcrowder.com/spring...olice-brutality-story-changes-with-new-video/

#108 TCassidy, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Personally I blame her parents for not preparing her to function properly as a good citizen in the American police state. But I suppose as many parents are doing today they were leaving that up to the state and the school officials to do.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except the arm only went around Garners neck after he actively resisted arrest.
    The girl was not being choked. The officers arm was around her head, not her neck. A head lock is an accepted means of restraint taught in every Law Enforcement Academy in the country. :)

11. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amazing that all the Monday morning quarterbacks are using the officer's nick-name, Officer Slam I believe it was, as "proof" of his propensity to "over react".
    One would surmise that this girl would have been a little reluctant to so forcefully challenge him, having such a reputation!
    This makes me think that either this was for show & create a recordable incident, OR, she was one dumb gal.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - Umm - who started the whole thing? Right, the girl who disobeyed the rules. Then she disobeyed the teacher. Then she disobeyed the principal. Then she disobeyed the cop. Yep - it's all the cop's fault.

And let's be real. "thrown across the room" is quite different than what I saw in the video where he slid her about 4' to be out of the area of the desks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Let's be really real. If this girl's father had done the same thing to her the police would have charged him with a crime and carted him off to jail.

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

From the reports I'm hearing, they have charged the girl with disrupting the class. But considering what the officer did and the new information that seems to have been given to the media this morning( will see if I can find it. Heard it on a morning talk radio show), the young lady is a special needs student who may have been instructed to keep her phone with her at all times. She is in foster care because her mother is out of the picture. And she supposedly has an IUP which would make this very damaging for the school administration and the school system. Looking for confirmation.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Do you know what maneuver the sheriff is talking about?

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I heard someone mention this earlier in the day. He stated pretty much what TC had about using the pressure points.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"The agency's training unit determined from the videos that Fields did not follow proper training and procedure, the sheriff said.

"When you make an arrest of someone who does not have a weapon, you never let go of the subject. When he threw her across the room, he let go of her. That's what violates our policy," Lott said."

from http://news.yahoo.com/sheriff-decide-deputy-keeps-job-classroom-arrest-083335261.html

So what violated their policy was him letting go of her.

18. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

That's stupid.

I bet if he had slammed a dog against the floor, drug it and slung it across the room, a lot of y'all would be enraged.Rolleyes

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I skipped most of the pages...

FWIW, my opinion is that the real issue has been overlooked.

I believe that the use of the video is a divide and conquer ploy.

Those at the top of the heap "evil police" group are always looking for errors (or errors in judgment) by law enforcement to make public in order to incite the emotions and divide the loyalties of we the sheeple.

On one side - "she was worthy of what she received (and I, if picking sides would be there) kudos for the officer". On the other extreme "fry them like bacon".

What's the ultimate object - A civil war in which we are put under a true police state and then... (the finality of the objective).

IMO, It's not going to happen overnight (but you never know).

Ya, OK, maybe I am all wet (Baptist you know - immersion).

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has been going on for over 30 years, incrementally. Our liberty has been slowly eroded since the 1990s.

It got started under Bill Clinton. On July 14, 1994, President Clinton's Deputy Attorney General and later 9/11 Commission member Jamie Gorelick testified to the Senate Intelligence Committee that “The Department of Justice believes, and the case law supports, that the president has inherent authority to conduct warrantless physical searches for foreign intelligence purposes … and that the president may, as has been done, delegate this authority to the Attorney General.”

This “inherent authority” was used to search the home of CIA spy Aldrich Ames without a warrant. "It is important to understand", Gorelick continued, "that the rules and methodology for criminal searches are inconsistent with the collection of foreign intelligence and would unduly frustrate the president in carrying out his foreign intelligence responsibilities".

Then Bush made it worse with the so-called "Patriot Act" that further eroded our liberty. It introduced a new set of legislative changes which significantly increased the surveillance and investigative powers of law enforcement agencies in the US and significantly decreased the law abiding citizens right to privacy.

That was followed up by Obama's NDAA of 2013 that allows the indefinite detention of American citizens without being charged with a crime or having the right to legal counsel. NDAA also authorized the president to indefinitely detain or otherwise dispose of anyone, American citizen or not, that “substantially supported” our enemies or their “associated forces.” No definition of the quoted terms has been forthcoming from our government. The vast amount of information compiled on all American citizens via the NSA listening in on all cell phone conversations is a direct result of NDAA and a direct violation of the 4th amendment.

The National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC) oversees a “disposition matrix,” where “disposition” refers to disposing of human beings without charge or trial, using all the best resources the government can muster to efficiently kill or capture our enemies, real or imagined.

Add to that the militarization of local police, and the imposition of warrantless stops of vehicles at Border Patrol Checkpoints nowhere near the border, and DUI checkpoints, both without any probable cause for the stop, and the TSA, which has NEVER caught a terrorist, conducting searches that amount to sexual molestation in many cases, and it is obvious we are losing our liberty one small piece at a time.

It reminds me of the old "frog in the pan of water" illustration. As long as it is done slowly and we are given time to get used to each incremental reduction of our rights we don't complain.

• Informative Informative x 1