Tracking Bible Sales

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Dr. Bob, Mar 11, 2006.

1. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you consistently attribute false motives to anyone who disagrees with you?
    And I said it was meaningless. It would be like the bookstore at FBC Hammond publishing their stats and claiming that the KJV outsold every other bible version 100% to 0%. Meaningless statistics.
    Then it is no more "interesting" than the sales stats for FBCH.
    Nobody has questioned the accuracy of the CBA statistics. We questioned the worth of the statistics. And as soon as we did you began to, once again, ascribe false motives to us.
    The stats are meaningless, just as I said. For a self-styled “logic professor” you seem to have great difficulty with logic!

2. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tend to agree. And it may even be sooner than 20 years. Perhaps the NKJV/2 or some such, but the time is coming, and coming soon.
    Again, I agree. The perception that the ESV was a second generation RSV prevented it from getting a fair hearing.
    I doubt it will be the NIV. Even some strong Critical Text proponents have found fault with the NIV. Its reputation has been badly eroded by a whole series of articles in the past 5 years or so.

In my opinion a successor to the NKJV and the ESV will probably be #1 and #2 in 15 or 20 years, each being the best representative of its respective textform.

3. Brice New Member

Bob, you just gotta learn to pay attention! If they only count bibles sold in retail stores, and don't count the local church bible publishers, and don't count internet sales and downloads, how can you make any claim to accuracy of the stats? It is not a case of "Since it showed something other than the KJV as #1, it is meaningless" as you falsely claim, but an observation that the data is incomplete.</font>[/QUOTE] The observation is not incomplete nor is it inaccurate. The statistic was the amount of sales from Christian retailers, nothing more nothing less. If the statistic was Bible sales at FBCHammond, then it wouldn’t be erroneous or inaccurate because the statistic would be Bible sales from Hammond. I don’t see how this is hard to understand? The statistic was sales from Christian retailers and the trends that follow this stat.

4. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, now pay close attention. I will type this very s-l-o-w-l-y so all of the developmentally challenged will be able to follow. Here is what I said, "In fact it may be that retail sales stats have become meaningless and obsolete." Then, after Dr. Bob's ad hominem attack, in my follow-up post I clearly pointed out the reason I believed the data was meaningless.

I could go down to the local used book store and get the sales statistics on books sold and come to the conclusion that the all time best seller was a novel by Clive Cussler, but that statistic would be meaningless simply because it is an isolated sampling that does not reflect the general statistical data curve.

Got it now or should I dumb it down some more?

5. DesiderioDomini New Member

It never ceases to amaze me what happens when we dont bow before the greatness that is before us. Dr. Bob, what were you thinking?

I dont see how these stats are meaningless because I am sure they cover every state in the union, many different types of bookstores, and over an entire year of time. There will never be a way to gather up the information for all sales of all types, so I think it is not too far of a stretch to assume that these stats will be a fairly accurate representation of those stats not gathered. Simple fact is USUALLY if the NKJV is the best selling bible in the bookstores, it stands to reason it would be the best selling online. Its really not that hard to understand.

Now, of course, it is possible that those online stats are different, but I would be willing to bet that this list is pretty accurate. This seems like another thread derailed by that ole ego!

6. NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Havent a clue why the NKJV tops sales at bookstores, but nowhere else. A peculiar stat.

If I were a cynic I would say that those who shop at bookstores instead of online or through other means are the least educated and have all heard that the NKJV is an "easy to read" version of a translation that they are familiar with. However, not being a cynic, I won't say that.

7. Bob Alkire New Member

Most folks who buy online know what they want and so many who buy from a store might not. I know I've picked up a book at a store that seemed to catch my eye but when I buy on line I know what I want. That could make a difference, but I don't know.

8. Boanerges New Member

I spoke with a friend who runs a fairly large Christian bookstore. He said that the KJV is the best seller, and then next is the NIV. The NKJV is up there as well, and the message is barely requested.

9. Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Odds and ends picked from the net.

Zondervan’s web site states that the months between fall and Christmas are the biggest purchasing months of the year for Bibles.
    I’d hazard to guess that those are purchased for others and not themselves.
    I use the NAS, but I have never purchased it for another person, usually preferring the NIV or more rarely the NKJV (based upon what I know about the person I’m getting it for).

American Bible Society notes that people turn to the comfort and guidance contained in the Bible more often during the times of great difficulty.
    Could troubled times also influence the version purchased???

American Bible Society, (1996 Publisher's Weekly)
    · NIV 40%
    · KJV 20%
    · NKJV 10%
    · NRSV 5%

· Evangelical Protestant Christians primarily use the NIV & KJV
    · Mainline Protestant Christians primarily use the NRSV & NIV
    · Orthodox Protestant Christians primarily use the NRSV & KJV
    · Roman Catholic primarily use the NAB & NJB

Lastly the OeBF 2004 eBook Bestseller List includes the bestselling eBooks reported from the leading eBook retailers and distributors including eBooks.com, eReader.com, Fictionwise.com, Mobipocket.com and OverDrive.
    The only bible listed (and #6 on the list) was the Holy Bible, New International Version - International Bible Society

Rob

10. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't. That is the point. The NIV is still the #1 best selling bible over all. Bob's "statistics" relate to only one group of retailers (members of CBA) and thus are meaningless regarding which bible sells best. I tried to tell him that but he got all nasty on me.
    There may be some truth to that, or that CBA member stores push the NKJV, which is probably the more accurate guess.

11. PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Come on now, that type of language is not needed.

Discuss the issues. Disagree with each other. But no need to say things like this.

12. mcdirector Active Member

When I go into a Christian book store, I see many, many Bibles. Obviously there are lots of folks who don't buy them online. I buy most of mine at conventions, which is where I got my latest (ESV).

I was surprised to see the NKJV at the top of this list. I thought it would be NIV because I've seen it pushed so much. Most everyone I know uses the NIV with a few KJV thrown in. Actually, the average church goer seems a tad unknowledgeable about versions. When I mention the NASB, most people say, "What's that?"

I haven't written for Lifeway in several years, but back when they were still The Baptist Sunday School Board, the change was made to use only NIV quotations. I do think the Family Bible series stayed with quoting the KJV for a while longer. I wonder what other publishing houses use and how that plays into sales.

13. mioque New Member

:confused:
    The RCC is a rather large denomination in the US. It has its own translations.
    American Catholics only buy their Bibles on the internet?

14. Brice New Member

Okay, now pay close attention. I will type this very s-l-o-w-l-y so all of the developmentally challenged will be able to follow.

I could go down to the local used book store and get the sales statistics on books sold and come to the conclusion that the all time best seller was a novel by Clive Cussler, but that statistic would be meaningless simply because it is an isolated sampling that does not reflect the general statistical data curve.

Got it now or should I dumb it down some more?
    </font>[/QUOTE]I can feel the Christian love flowing from your soul. :eek: I hope that you can put aside your malice and enjoy some good fellowship. God bless.
    Now back on topic – If the statistic was sales from your local book store then it wouldn’t be erroneous to show a statistic from that sample. This statistic was clearly sourced and could be clearly read, so the confusion should be non-existent. Now I helped put myself through college by working at a major Christian bookstore chain. Our biggest seller was the NIV and then the NKJV. The KJV was not a big seller and most customers didn’t like or didn’t know of the NASB.

15. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe you need to lighten up and not take the discussion quite so seriously. Dr. Bob and I have known one another for a long time, and most of the time we are poking fun at one another.

16. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or American Catholics don't buy bibles at all.

17. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Malice? Malice! Heavens to Mergatroid! There's no malice, brother, just some good clean razzing!
    Once again, nobody said the data was wrong, only that, in the context of the general trends, meaningless. All the available data which takes all retailers into account (and not just those who are members of CBA) say the NIV is the best seller.

18. gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some folks need to read the book " How to lie with statistics' by Darrell Huff.

19. TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL! Now that was funny! I wish I had said it! :D :D :D

20. Brice New Member

Once again, nobody said the data was wrong, only that, in the context of the general trends, meaningless. All the available data which takes all retailers into account (and not just those who are members of CBA) say the NIV is the best seller. [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Meaningless? Maybe to you, but don't speak for others; unless of course you have the ability to define what's meaningless for everyone. If the stats are contrary to general trends then wouldn't the real question be why? That seems to be a meaningful aspect of the statistic, but then again I don't speak for everyone.