Training for Translators

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Mar 28, 2018.

1. OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks.
    My guess is that BI would not send out missionaries (though their translators often act as such when in country), but their parent organization, BMM, certainly does so. Whether their numbers are increasing or (like so many boards) decreasing, I do not know. (The homegoing noted in my post, above, is on the front page of the website.)

2. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been meaning to get back to this, but events intervened, including two procedures this week on my right hand to correct the weirdly named Duputren's contracture.

Let me introduce our own brand new MA in Bible Translation at Baptist Theological Seminary (BTS). We are aiming at a high academic level, so to even get into the program you must have the typical two years of undergrad Greek, and a credible introductory course in linguistics, and a course in personal evangelism. Fortunately, we can provide those undergrad opportunities for an applicant.

Our faculty has discussed leaving out some of the theology courses, but we ended up believing all are needed for a translator, so we kept them, making it a 40 credit degree. Other degrees for a translator ignore theology. We require NT Intro, OT Intro, and 12 credits of systematic theology.

We require the ancient languages of the Bible, something the linguistics-heavy degrees skip, though I can't see how a Bible translator can be the best translator possible without them. So, needed are 6 credits of Hebrew and 3 credits of Greek exegesis (all taught by my son).

We require 9 credits of translation linguistics and theory. Right now I'm teaching Bible Translation Theory and Practice. We also offer Morphology and Syntax, Translation Linguistics and Discourse Analysis (these two taught by our resident linguist, who speaks 7 languages), and Translation issues in Greek and Hebrew (team taught with my son).

Finally, we require an internship for 2 credits. This will take place in a genuine Bible translation effort somewhere on a mission field. It can be researching a tribal language in preparation for an effort, revision of a known foreign language NT or OT, or perhaps even updating a translation here in the USA, such as a native American Bible or a people group version (Hmong, etc.).

3. Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    JoJ,

You should tell of this new venture in the College/Seminary thread as well. IMHO.

rd

4. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the idea, Rhet. Maybe I can get to that on Monday.

5. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, et al.,

I don't have anything to add to the conversation, but I want to say that I found the thread interesting and useful.

:Thumbsup

6. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Been meaning to get back to this.

Recently I was at a Bible translation conference, where I learned that Bearing Precious Seed in Ohio is going to start a new school with a master's in Bible translation. I had a great time talking about the young pastor who will lead the effort. He is planning a 60 credit degree with loads of original language, linguistics and translation classes. I advised dropping some and adding some theology. As I recall, a soft start is planned within two years.

7. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bob Jones U. has an M.Div. in Bible translation and linguistics. The list of courses can be seen here:
    https://www.bju.edu/academics/graduate-programs/master-of-divinity/

All in all, it looks like an excellent course. They have two lady profs with Ph.D.s in linguistics. I'm not sure who teaches their translation courses. Troy Manning of Bibles International has taught some (https://proftroy.com/tag/bju/), but is not listed in the BJU faculty list, so maybe he's just adjunct. But he's a top translation consultant.

At one time BJU had a well received summer linguistics program, but I don't know about that now. Here is a list of courses, but most are not being offered right now: https://www.bju.edu/academics/courses/#!Linguistics

8. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had heard that BIOLA has a Bible translation M.A. in their "Cook School of Intercultural Studies." It's actually called an "M.A. in Linguistics and Biblical Languages." Here is a link: M.A. in Linguistics and Biblical Languages | Cook School of Intercultural Studies, Biola University

So, being heavy on the linguistics side, they take the path that linguistics are the key to Bible translation. Looking at their curriculum (http://cook.biola.edu/programs/linguistics-tesol/ma-linguistics-biblical-languages/curriculum/), I do note that they have a class in Bible translation, and options of concentration in either Greek or Hebrew. So, their obvious goal is to produce Bible translators.

Our own M.A. differs in that we require Bible intro courses, more systematic theology, etc. Our philosophy (1) a good knowledge of theology and intro is vital for a translator, and (2) the missionary should not be just a translator, but a soul-winner and ultimately a church planter.

Having said that, we do have provision for a young lady to take our course, and she would not necessarily be a church planter.

All in all, I'd say that the BIOLA M.A. is not the best around, but looks pretty good, though I would structure it around translation rather than linguistics per se. Our own linguistics courses are designed to support translation.