1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Translating Lamb as Pig and Snow as Wool

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Feb 18, 2013.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Crabtownboy spoke of four Greek words for love. Do you mean this, rather than four Hebrew words?

The four words (actually a few more if you count both noun and verb and compound forms) in Greek are:

(1) agape (verb agapao)--love which is a choice according to the Fribergs' Analytical Lexicon definition, which I agree with.

(2) philos (verb phileo)--the love of friendship; there are also compounds of this word occuring in the NT, like philadelphia in Rom. 12:10 and four other places.

(3) storge--natural love, like that of a mother for child, or siblings for each other (this word only occurs in compounds in the NT, like philostorgos in Rom. 12:10).

(4) eros--romantic love, physical love, a word not occuring in the NT.

2. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Yes Greek, thank you. Now which of the four applies to St. John 3:16

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The verb in John 3:16 is agapao, related to the noun agape, which in my view means a love based on choice. That is, God loved us not because of anything we are or have done, but because He chooses to. "While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

4. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Thanks John.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs::thumbs:

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

John, I just once again want to thank you for being here. You have given me insight into Bible translation that I would not have otherwise had and it has been very eye opening. You have such a difficult job and I greatly appreciate men like you who commit their lives to the preservation of God's Word and the accessibility of it for all languages. :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I enjoy being here, and I'm glad my posts on translation are helpful.

God bless.:wavey:

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I concur.:thumbsup:

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great, brother!

10. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most British of the 1500s had prolly not ever seen a camel, but their Bibles still read "camel" where that animal was mentioned in the ancient mss.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point!

12. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are probably right, but on the other hand almost no one could read in that time.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Down through history, I think it would be fair to say that translating the Bible has been the impetus for most if not almost all literacy movements. When the English Bible became available to the average person in the pew thanks to Tyndale and his tribe, IMO that triggered the modern trend aiming towards 100% literacy in first world countries. Even now, literacy programs follow Bible translation work, so that in tribes and 3rd world countries around the world missionaries are teaching people to read the Bibles they have translated.

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    (slight tangent) My sending church supported a missionary to Argentina. He came back and said one of the biggest challenges he had was to teach people there to read and understand 1611 Jacobean English so that they could truly understand the Word of God.

Thankfully, the church dropped his support for heresy. If they hadn't I would have asked them to take me off their rolls.

15. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I bet in Japan you live where there are no Jews, but they know what a Jew is. Just sayin'. I'm in agreement with you, John.

16. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Dr. Bob, I respectfully disagree. What that missionary was doing was trying to teach the people he was ministering to the Word of God according to the convictions he had about what IT IS. That is not (heresy) because an adherence to the KJV only is still an adherence to a translation that unquestionably IS the Word of God. If he was trying to teach them the NWT, the Living Bible or Good News For Modern Man or something like that then I'd join in your objection. If however,he has or did succeed in teaching these Argentinians what he was teaching them they would have learned a version of the Bible that has been blessed by God for 400+ years. That is NOT heresy and never will be. I have to take exception personally because in essence you just called me a heretic...and I am offended by that. I am no heretic. (for the record,I have already forgiven you for that) If I am then I ought to be banned from this board and thrown out of the church I attend. If that were to happen then I would go out the door confessing that I LOVE God and His Son,the Lord Jesus Christ,His Blood that was shed for me on Calvary and His precious,holy, preserved Word of God. For me that Word will always be the KJV. I just believe as a 58 year old man and nearly 40 year old believer in Christ that we need to be careful and precise when we use the label "heretic" or "heresy". As I said...I mean you no disrespect. I personally believe that the Judgement Seat of Christ will correct any disagreements or errors in thinking that we have here and that our focus in the years remaining ought to be less arguing and more about doing all we can to do our part in working the "fields of harvest" as we labor in the Great Commission. By the way...there is no such thing as "church rolls" in the NT. If there are and I maybe missed that verse, please supply same:tongue3:.

Bro.Greg:saint:

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've taught Japanese modern day English, and that's hard enough without trying to teach them 1611 English! :eek:

18. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe you need to make a belt ranking system for them. That should motivate them. And if they cannot get their thee's and thou's right, then make them watch "Superbook" and "Flying House" until they learn.

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that's a wild idea, bro!

They don't have belts for learning English over here, but they do have a similar ranking system to that of the martial arts for: flower arranging, the tea ceremony, Shogi (Japanese chess), Igo (the "go" game with white and black stones), etc.

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So when it was preached, did they say "camel" or "pony?"