Trump blasts NFL kneelers

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Calminian, Sep 23, 2017.

1. carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

2. Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I've done it in detail before, so feel free to look it up here on the board in my past posts. But I'm not going through all the research again when I've definitively proven that there is no systemic racism on the side of police officers. In fact, comparatively speaking, police officers shoot white people roughly 5% (if memory serves) more than black people in the same situation.

Off the top of my head, I want to say that the numbers were that black people commit about 33% of the violent crimes in America, but only account for about 28% of police shootings. Which means that it is impossible to claim systemic racism. Literally impossible.

All someone has to do is look at the facts rather than sensationalism and the outcome becomes obvious. The current outcry can be simply attributed to the fact that when a black person gets shot it gets more attention than a white person. I don't have the numbers for how many are shown on the media, but I would wager that black people getting shot by police account for roughly 90% of media attention, based purely on my own observations.

3. Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or the main excuse for crime. In comparing black crime v. white crime, slavery also has to be considered as the main excuse. One who sees it that way:

We have a telepath here!
    I doubt if Colin Kaepernich drives a Ford Focus. But anyway, is it wrong to presume what's on the mind of people based on their color?

4. Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Those football players have the right to free speech ON THEIR OWN TIME. I say shame on the NFL and the various teams for not nipping this in the bud and proclaiming that on team time everybody stands for the national anthem, and the first one to violate this rule gets either suspended, fined, or fired.

5. Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He can call out injustice on his own time.

6. Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    FWIW, MennoSota was temporarily banned for a rules violation. He then attempted to return before the ban expired as Finlandia. That earned him a permaban. And of course, Finlandia was permabanned. So, y'all can stop replying to posts under those names.

7. rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe you are an honorable man, but the facts are otherwise.

I won't say that there is "systemic racism," but the fact is that if you are a black suspect you have a much higher chance of being killed at the hands of police than if you are white.

If you want to criticize the TV folks, go ahead. But it's also true that young, white females who are kidnapped or missing or presumed murdered get much more attention than dark-skinned victims on TV. Think of the case of Natalee Holloway in Aruba. It was all over TV, hour upon hour.

Yes, the killing of young black men has received more attention lately. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Maybe it's about time.

8. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Romans 13 is about governing authorities. Paul said we owe our nation taxes, fear and honor.

And I do not believe we are a racist nation. If we were, non-whites would not be trying to come to our country from every part of the world.

The problem in America is not racism in this day and age. It is sinful people in a fallen world. Life is hard wherever you go. And life in America is much easier than most places.

Noted.

9. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Larry Elder is a syndicated talk show host (happens to be black). He says this is not true, you're actually more likely to be killed if you're white. I'll try to find some info on this. I've only heard it on the radio.

10. Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

For some clarification, I was not speaking of raw numbers. Obviously, in raw numbers white people are killed more often than black people, with black people accounting for roughly 12-13% of the population. My numbers were in comparison to crime rate. So, I'll move on to the next statement.

This is the type of myth I was dispelling with my numbers. As everyone knows, raw stats mean nothing. My point was that black people are shot at a lower rate than their involvement in violent crime, while white people are shot at a higher rate than their involvement in violent crime.

In other words, if you are committing a violent crime, you are more likely to be shot if you are a white person. The piece you quoted made the first year statistician's mistake of using raw numbers which tell you nothing. Either that or they purposely skewed the numbers to make a false point.

This may very well be the case. If so, it shows racism in media, not the police. Which is my entire argument, that there's no systemic racism in the police force.

Maybe. But not in my opinion.

11. rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it shows what sells, what people want to see. Most viewers are white and they like a good retelling of the "white slavery" story.

12. rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, if you heard it on the radio it must be true. Especially if you heard it from a black person.

13. carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you narrow it down even further to black males, the crime rate statistics become even more alarming. But no one wants to talk about how bad it really is.

14. rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone is talking about how bad it really is. But what do you propose to do about it? Put more people in prison? That's worked so well, you know.

15. Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Some of the latest tweets from our Prez. He's on a role.
    1. Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 6h6 hours ago
      Roger Goodell of NFL just put out a statement trying to justify the total disrespect certain players show to our country.Tell them to stand!

46,622 replies25,628 retweets92,048 likes

2. Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 10h10 hours ago
      ...our Great American Flag (or Country) and should stand for the National Anthem. If not, YOU'RE FIRED. Find something else to do!

49,972 replies31,631 retweets115,235 likes
    3. Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 10h10 hours ago
      If a player wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL,or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect....

16. rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am so glad that The Donald is the arbiter of patriotism and feels free to demonize those who disagree with him (if he really has any opinion on this that isn't driven by a desire to play to his "base".)

Maybe he should be paying attention to Afghanistan, Syria, North Korea, health care, taxes, etc. Nah, that's asking too much when he can take cheap shots against an institution that's much more popular than he is.

17. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We now know where Calminian gets his information. Talk radio. He says he heard info about the DACA deal on Rush Limbaugh and here he says he listens to Larry Elder. In most markets Sean Hannity is on between Limbaugh and Elder, so I'm guessing Calminian gets six hours a day of Rush, Hannity, and Elder.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

18. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    President Trump: If you don't stand for the national anthem you should be fired.

Gee, that's not authoritarian at all. No siree.

Maybe throw them in a gulag. That'll teach 'em.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

19. carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No they're not. They're in denial, just like you.

20. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seriously....who pays any attention to Trump? I know I don't. 5 deferments and yet he's a patriot?!? please... ;):rolleyes: