1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trump's Tax Reform Plan

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by InTheLight, Apr 20, 2017.

1. AwesomeMachine

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But I think the best way for government to save money is to get rid of the useless half of government workers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good luck wit dat! :Laugh

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any mathematician could solve our bloated bureaucracy problem.

The federal government employs 2,711,000 people not including the military.

2,711,000 - 1,355,500 = Problem solved.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

but from which departments

5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong question. Which departments should remain.

Defense.
    State.
    Judicial.
    Treasury.
    Veterans Affairs.

Dump the rest. And of those 4 half of the employees should be fired. And 3/4 of Veterans Affairs. 90% of VA employees are not medical personnel.

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Best way to save money is to cut a fraction of a percent off the budget by laying off some people. Well, I suppose ya gotta start somewhere.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is your reference that only 10% of the VA are in the medical field?

The Active Air Force has about 318,000 members - with only about 15,000 who are pilots or navigators. ( 5%)
    Bottom line is that 95% of the Air Force are in support roles.
    I suspect it would be the same for the VA --and the VA is more than just a hospital

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Almost all of your posts are worthless. I consider refusing to pay contractors and consorting with the enemy to change a free election a moral outrage. Also the way he talks about his daughter makes me wonder what has gone on between them. Then he fathered an illegitimate daughter conceived with his second wife while he was still married to his first something I don't consider acceptable. Maybe you do. Then talking about being able to grab any woman's [filth edited] he wants to bothers me. Maybe that's OK with you too. His practice of continuing lying and going back on commitments bothers me as well. Taking funding away from the needy and the elderly in retirement homes to feed our bloated military is against my sense of morality as well.

#88 FollowTheWay, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2017
  9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have been down this path over and over several times and unfortunately it is because we were left in a moral dilemma as to the choices for the office of president in this election.

For me and perhaps millions of others the choice came down to the lesser of two evils, namely: Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump.

Since Roe versus Wade approximately 58 million abortions have been performed in America.
    58,586,256 Abortions in America Since Roe v. Wade in 1973 | LifeNews.com

This is a STAGGERING figure of atrocities - some BB posters call it emotionalism. The Bible calls it murder of the worst kind - the shedding of the innocent blood of the helpless.

Hillary Clinton has openly endorsed abortion. The DNC is the party of death.

Donald Trump has opposed it, he promised to appoint a pro-life constitutionalist justice to the SCOTUS and came through with his promise.
    Of course, the nay-sayers, Trump haters say "Oh ya, wait and see".

OK we will.

To me and perhaps millions of others the 58 million murders of the infanticide/genocide of abortion totally eclipses the human transgressions of Donald Trump.

HankD

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And therein lies the problem. If you want an example of the use of personnel use the US Marine Corps. There are 182,000 active duty Marines, and every single one of them has a primary MOS (Military Occupational Status) of "Rifleman."

There are some jobs that the Geneva Convention considers to be non-combatants (See Protocol I of the Geneva Conventions, June 1977).

Chaplains. The are NO Chaplains in the US Marine Corps.

Medics. There are NO Medics in the US Marine Corps.

11. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because the USMC gets these billets filled by Naval personnel. IOW:
    • When a Marine is wounded in battle he\she is patched up by a USN corpsman assigned to that particular unit.
    • When divine services are held on a Marine base, they are overseen by a USN Chaplain assigned to that base\unit.

12. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that is my point. EVERY US Marine is a Rifleman. Any non-combatant role is filled by US Navy personnel.

13. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

This isn't true anymore. The Marines have their own medics. Or so I was told by a Marine last year.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

14. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 things to consider here: 1) of those 15,000 pilots and navigators, most are in "support" positions ("heavy lifters," transport, etc.). The number of pilots in actual combat-related positions (F-16s, F-22s, F-35s, A-10s, etc.).

2) There are also Spec Ops Air Force personnel who are not pilots or navigators; as well as Security Forces, who do base security and ground combat close to the base and/or AF assets; not to mention PAVE-LOW crews (SAR; officer+enlisted); or Pararescue (combat EMTs) who fly in to combat areas. "Black Hawk Down" tends to gloss over the fact that two AF Pararescue members were dropped in to the fight to attempt to pull out Michael Durant; they were overwhelmed and killed doing their career field motto: "That others may live."

So only 5%? Nah. I'll grant you 80-90% of AF personnel are FOB-lovin' back-office "weekends off" folks; but not just 5%.

Besides, we're talking about the only service that sends their officers into combat (pilots) while the enlisted maintainers, munitions, cooks, medical, etc. go home to play XBox.... <grin>

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point in using the Air Force as an example - is that if a AFSC is not direct combat - every Airman is in a critical support position.
    Cooks, supply, transportation, ect.......

And this holds true for every Military Branch (keep in mind that the USMC is in the Dept of the Navy )

16. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I understood; just saw an opportunity to educate about some lesser-known areas of the AF. <grin>

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I understand the change which was made a couple years ago is that Navy regulations now allows Navy Corpsman attached to Marine units as a Hospital Corpsmen to wear a Marine uniform as long as they conform to Marine Corps health and grooming standards.

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that sounds good, but the Marine Corps is not subject to the CNO, having their own Commandant who sits as a Joint Chief with equal position as the other Chiefs of Staff. (Maybe even more as the CNO is an administrative position and does not have operational command authority over Naval forces.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, hey! Something has actually happened!

The House approved a budget blueprint resolution that would allow a tax reform bill to pass in the Senate with only 50 votes. However, this 50 vote margin in the Senate can only be achieved if the House version of the tax plan agrees with the Senate plan on key provisions. Right now, the House version is deficit neutral, that is, any tax cuts must be offset by spending cuts. The Senate plan has no deficit neutral feature, in fact, the Senate plan would allow the deficit to grow by $1.5 trillion over the next 10 years. Unless they can reconcile these differences, the GOP will need 60 votes in the Senate.

#99 InTheLight, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That goes for all the services chiefs - they are advisors to the POTUS - and do not have any operational command over their services.

From Wiki: After the 1986 reorganization of the military undertaken by the Goldwater-Nichols Act, the Joint Chiefs of Staff does not have operational command of U.S. military forces. Responsibility for conducting military operations goes from the President to the Secretary of Defense directly to the commanders of the Unified Combatant Commands and thus bypasses the Joint Chiefs of Staff completely.