1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Undercover Christians" on BB?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salamander, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

[​IMG]There are no secrets on the net. [​IMG]

2. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

I personally can't take one very seriously that can't tell me who they are. I think it has a lot more to do with being undercover than most will admit.

3. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it has to do with being smart. Even Jesus said "Do not put the Lord your God to the test." (NIV)

4. Rachel

Rachel New Member

There are alot of nuts out there in cyberspace. I see that more and more. Even from people that say they're Christian's. I was pretty naive when I started using the net. Not anymore.
    So it's only wise to not go telling the whole web everything about you.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I have no problem with those who choose privacy online.

Saying that, as stated above, all anyone needs is an IP number to start finding out who we are.

6. Petrel

Petrel New Member

I personally can't take someone very seriously who can't take me very seriously merely because he or she doesn't know who I am.

I also question whether knowing someone's real name and where they live counts as knowing who they are. Especially on the internet, where I could say that my name is Xavier Pierce and I live in Montana, but you would have no way of knowing whether or not that was true. (It's not, by the way! :D )

7. Servent

Servent Member

I could say that my name is Xavier Pierce and I live in Montana, but you would have no way of knowing whether or not that was true. (It's not, by the way! :D ) [/QB][/QUOTE]

You mean you dont live in Montana

8. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I agree Petrel.

I believe we tell each other on here "who we really are" all the time, through our opinions, what we react to, how we talk to each other in general.

Just because ya'all don't know my real name, my phone number, my address, and my bank account number does not mean that you don't know who I "really" am.

:D

9. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is just hilarious...lol

10. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I've found that people are bolder on these boards (because they are relatively anonymous) than they would be if they were speaking in person. I believe things are said on this board that would not be said in a one on one personal conversation.

Please do not ask me to cite examples. All you have to do is look through the threads.

11. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Salamander,

No, we are not protected from all harm. In fact, Christ warned us that the world will hate us, the world will try to destroy us, and the world can and will destroy the flesh of Christians.

The manner in which the apostles died is proof that the world will be extremely cruel to Christians.

Christ promised not to give us more than we can bear. Christ promised to protect our souls. He told us not to worry about what we will eat or wear. He never told us that it was not a dangerous world.

That said, I've had the unfortunate experience of stalkers: Off line and on line. It is very, very dangerous to give out personal information of any kind on the web. The person you speak to may be acting nice when in fact they are not nice.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Why do we Christians think we have a "right to know" personal and private info? We don't If someone shares that, it's a privilege that they've entrusted that to us. As for bring protected against all harm, I think applying that in this arena is taking a scriptre out of context. I'm not one to put the Lord my God to the test.
    I asked him to leave me alone and respect my privacy. He eventually stopped coming to my church (as far as I know) and hasn't posted here since. IMO, he's welcome to attend my church, so long as he respects my privacy.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

I remember that Johnv, I couldn't remember who that was though it happened too. I was telling someone about it recently in an effort to warn them about being careful on the internet.
    You do have to be careful online who you talk too, or give information too, even here. There are people who abuse what they learn about you. And even if they call you friend, don't give them too much, they can turn on you. You don't really know anyone online, not even here on the BB, and online they are anonymous and can be anyone they want to be, no matter who they really are.
    So it's not undercover anything, it's safety, and beleive me after having problems with someone who pretended to be a friend I am a lot more leary about telling anyone anything now.

14. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I once told my pastor (who has since retired) that I used to believe everyone was basically good until I came onto the Internet. He said, "Well, remember hon, the internet attracts the dysfunctional members of society more than it attracts the functional members. A functional individual has a family, friends, church outside the web. A dysfunctional person who cannot be accepted by real people around them creates a fake persona for on line."

15. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

Someone on the BB actually accused me of being Rick Warren one time. I choose to remain anonymous for a variety of reasons -- the primary one because the BB is merely an escape for fun and entertainment.

I won't tell you who I am but I will give you my initials -- R.W.

Just kidding of course.

16. Glory-to-God

Glory-to-God Guest

Thanks Rachel for that advice...I have experenced first hand on this board that it is not wise to give out personal info. Lots of people who call themselves Christians....who don't act like it. I have been told on here I am someone else...I already feel my reputation has been ruined. I hope it isn't too late :(

17. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    hoo boy........

18. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Is that why you post on here so much? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry I couldn't resist...just kidding :D

19. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Pastor SBC - lol I wondered who would catch that. Glad it was you. [​IMG]

But - I have families, friends and a church.

I also have a real talent for multi-tasking. [​IMG] I am one of those cursed individuals who thinks better if I'm doing two things at once. Or as my sister says, "The two halves of her brain don't play nice together so they both have to be entertained at the same time." (And to think she says she is my biggest fan.)

20. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Thanks Rachel for that advice...I have experenced first hand on this board that it is not wise to give out personal info. Lots of people who call themselves Christians....who don't act like it. I have been told on here I am someone else...I already feel my reputation has been ruined. I hope it isn't too late :( </font>[/QUOTE]You're right...there are many people who call themselves Christian's who don't act like it.