1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Verses Misused to teach Original Sin

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Inspector Javert, Apr 12, 2014.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A brief word about consistency. If a person is in Adam, i.e. not in Christ, they are separated from God, spiritually dead. So when they are conceived in iniquity, they spiritually die.

So in Adam, we are in the realm of darkness, separated from God. Since everyone suffers the consequence of Adam's sin, we are made sinners, conceived in iniquity. We are by nature children of wrath.

Finally, why "the many" does not teach universalism, or require an inconsistent treatment of scripture. The many refers to everyone in Adam in the first case, the many refers to everyone in Christ in the second case. Two different groups whose similarity is they are "in one realm or the other." What those who deny original sin do is conflate the two groups and claim universalism.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

David was not an outcast from his family. Use the Bible not sources written by people with an agenda.
    You can't have your cake and eat it too, as the idiom says.
    The same author says this:
    She believes in Original Sin. So why don't you. If you are going to use that article for your other points, then why not for original sin as well. Be consistent. You are not.

Who is this person?
    She has not intention writing about the "Biblical David." Her audience is for women, and she is writing for the self-esteem of women especially Jews. She is very biased. Much of what she writes she cannot possibly know; it is pure fiction. Much of what she writes is not only unbiblical, it is anti-biblical.

The Bible specifically blesses the marriage of Boaz and Ruth.
    All questions to such a statement as this should be stopped with the statement:
    Ruth 4:9 And Boaz said unto the elders, and unto all the people, Ye are witnesses this day, that I have bought all that was Elimelech's, and all that was Chilion's and Mahlon's, of the hand of Naomi.
    10 Moreover Ruth the Moabitess, the wife of Mahlon, have I purchased to be my wife, to raise up the name of the dead upon his inheritance, that the name of the dead be not cut off from among his brethren, and from the gate of his place: ye are witnesses this day.
    11 And all the people that were in the gate, and the elders, said, We are witnesses. The LORD make the woman that is come into thine house like Rachel and like Leah, which two did build the house of Israel: and do thou worthily in Ephratah, and be famous in Bethlehem:

It was a civil union or marriage performed in the sight of all the city, at the city gate, and ALL the city gave their blessing to this marriage.
    The woman has an agenda. The site is flawed. It does not tell the truth. It is horrendously anti-biblical.
    Why would you turn to the site of an unsaved individual who attacks the Bible for your source of information??

4. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Y
    You may not be aware, but you've blended words from 1Cor 15 and Rom 5. "In Adam" is used only once, squarely in the context of physical death in Adam, while "In Christ" in 1Cor 15 is specifically referring to physical resurrection.

You rightly associate it with "the many" of Romans 5, where the many, meaning "all", die physically because of Adam, while "the many", meaning all, are made right because of the resurrection of Christ.

You need to back up to the beginning of Romans 5, where Paul says "having been" justified by His death, we will be saved by His life.

What life? Before He died on a cross, or His life AFTER He rose?

Considering that Paul ends chapter 4 with Christ's resurrection, it is only reasonable that he is still speaking of the resurrection only a dozen verses later.

You erroneously claimed earlier that born again is only spirit, not flesh. That is a great fallacy, then you compound that error by twisting a strictly physical passage into a spiritual death.

Get past your preconceived notions about what it means to be saved, made righteous, justified, etc

Jesus died for body and spirit, not just spirit only. Flesh and blood cannot inherit the Kingdom, you must be born again - body and spirit, or water and spirit, as Jesus told Nicodemus

5. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I have read many of his posts and have been utterly shocked by the way he attacks David's integrity and how he attacks David as an individual, a man, a person fit to be a king. It is truly shocking!
    I know that. That is not Winman's interpretation of Psa.51:5. He has David blaming his mother.
    Of course he has. He calls his mother's integrity into question, and from there he launches into a tirade against David. He calls him an outcast from his family, though Scripture says that opposite. He says that he has an inferiority complex, even though he was the only one to go up against Goliath. Everything he says about David contradicts what the Bible says about David. Why? Because of his psychoanalysis gained from secular sources. Ignoring what the Bible says about David, Winman paints him as "the black sheep" which is false. From there he goes down a trail of lies.
    Now if you read the ADD thread and take Saul's history and use it as your basis for people's schizophrenia you are doing what Winman is doing. It is wrong. That is not what the Bible is teaching. Saul didn't have schizophrenia. He was bothered by a demon which the Lord allowed. The Lord used David, a Spirit-filled individual, to cast the demon out through the Godly music which he played. Winman's defense rests on carnal psychological warfare rather than spiritual and biblical.
    Yes, they are all in the same camp, aren't they. It was Freud that was one of the most popular.
    Good bible exegesis tells us much about David's home life. He was loved as a son. He was not neglected. He was not "the black sheep," as accused. When Samuel appeared David was quite some distance away, "tending the sheep." There was an age difference to be sure. His brothers, all older, were considered "men," while David, was still "a youth," (a teen-ager), and therefore not called before Samuel. Those two reasons put together are the reasons why he did not appear.
    Jesse even gave those reasons to Samuel. He is young, tending the sheep. That is what he said. Is it difficult to believe the Bible, and rather to blame David's mother instead??
    In deference, Samuel insisted on David being called as well.
    Remember what Samuel said (in rebuke), "God sees not as man sees. For man looks on the flesh; God looks on the heart." Jesse (as well as all of Israel) chose after the flesh. Saul was head and shoulders above everyone in Israel ("a real man"). David, just a "youth," not even the age of a "real man," like his brothers. Therefore his "ungodly" brothers despised him. Especially at this time when they understood that Samuel had come for a special purpose of anointing a future king. They were envious now that David had been called to his presence as well. They knew that David was a godly person; they were not.
    God looks on the heart. David was chosen. God chose a man after his own heart. Remember that.
    Winman's accusation would be that God is an oucast; God is not loved; God has no friend; God is a tormented soul; etc., etc. His hermeneutic is horrible.
    If I can't blame the public school system who can I blame. :laugh:
    It is not a game. His attack on OS; his continued study of anti-OS sites, has led him to a an unbiblical theology mostly sponsored by unsaved individuals that have nothing better to do than attack the Bible in general. This has already been demonstrated.
    The doctrine of the depravity of man is a doctrine denied by Winman and yet held to by orthodox Christianity for more than 2,000 years. That puts him outside of orthodox Christianity. If I were him, I would be concerned about that. I am not a Calvinist, but I do believe in the depravity of man.
    But he does.
    "In sin did my mother conceive me." David is pointing to the very depths of his OWN soul; his OWN sinful condition--yes, even from conception onward.
    It doesn't matter who his mother was. That fact is irrelevant. I am sure that whoever it was, he would have loved her. He didn't play favorites. Remember, David had many wives himself. The wife that he committed adultery with was the wife that went on to become the queen--Bathsheba, and the mother of Solomon, the wisest man that ever lived apart from Christ.
    It is the interpretation of the verse that is at stake. He is not blaming the sin of his mother. He was not conceived in sin, or it was not a sin that he was conceived. His conception was not sinful. That is not the teaching of the verse. You can't get that from the verse. If you teach that it is error.
    It is a psalm of repentance; David's repentance. He is not pointing out the sins of others, only the admission of his own sin; his own sinfulness, period!

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

James 1:15 lays out original sin step by step. The end.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am aware that those in Adam die and those in Christ are made live. You can deny it, but that is straight from scripture.

Is "in Adam" referring to physical death, spiritual death or both? The answer is both. We who belong to Christ have been made spiritually alive, united with Christ. We are no longer in Adam.

Everyone, except Christ, is the many who die because of the consequences of Adam's sin. We are conceived spiritually dead, separated from God.

What life? Good question!! In Him is life, and therefore when we are transferred into Him spiritually, we are saved. Made alive. Made holy and blameless and perfect. Justified. Glorified.

It is not a fallacy to say we have been past tense, born anew. Thus, to be born anew refers at least in part, to spiritual rebirth.

One of us needs to get past our preconceived notions.

No one said or suggested Jesus only died to bring about our spiritual rebirth. Those who have been born anew spiritually will be resurrected at Christ's second coming in glorified physical bodies. Please stop misrepresenting my view.

At the end of the day, Original Sin refers to the consequences God imposed upon mankind because of Adam's sin. God subjected mankind to futility. God caused the many to be made sinners, conceived in iniquity, and therefore separated spiritually from God, thus spiritually dead. God caused the spiritual corruption that occurred when Adam and Eve's eyes were opened to spread to all mankind spiritually. We are as conceived, by nature children of wrath. And who saves us from this wretched condition? Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

DHK falsely accuses me of blaming David's mother. For what?

Just exactly what I am blaming David's mother for? I am not blaming her for David having a sin nature, because I do not believe we are born with a sin nature.

All I am saying is that David MAY have felt very ashamed of himself because of his birth. It is not known exactly what happened at David's birth, but scripture tells us David had two sisters whose father was Nahash the Ammonite. If that is so, then David's Jewish mother had relations with a non-Jew which was strictly forbidden by God's law.

There is some reason that David was treated poorly by his father Jesse. When Samuel called to see Jesse's sons, all of Jesse's sons were brought to the feast EXCEPT David, who was left tending the sheep. Twice Samuel asked to see Jesse's sons, and twice Jesse neglected to show David. This implies that David was not favored by his father for some reason. Only after Samuel insisted was David brought forth, and of course David was chosen as king.

I am not blaming David's mother for his sin with Bathsheba, all I am doing is suggesting an alternative explanation for vs. 5 where David says he was shapen in iniquity, and in sin did his mother conceive him. This verse is absolutely describing his mother, not David. It may be that David felt he was born of a "polluted" woman, or perhaps he was conceived out of wedlock, scholars are not sure, but there is some reason David's family was ashamed of him. This is what I believe David is expressing in Psa 51:5.

But I am not blaming David's mother for Original Sin, I do not believe in Original Sin. I am not blaming her for David's sin nature, I do not believe we are born with a sin nature.

It is DHK that believes David received a sin nature from his father Jesse. It is DHK that believes God cursed Adam so that the sin nature would be passed down through the father. It is DHK's view that blames God for David's sin nature that compelled him to sin. DHK believes a person MUST sin because they are born with a sin nature. And he believes all men receive this sin nature as a result of God's curse on Adam. That is blaming God for sin plain and simple whether he admits it or not. The logical conclusion of his view is that God is the author of sin. He doesn't get that, but it is absolutely true whether he understands it or not.

#50 Winman, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2014
  11. Winman

Winman Active Member

There it is, plain as day. Van believes God cursed Adam so that all of his descendants would be born with a corrupt sin nature that causes them to sin. This is making God the author of sin. Period.

DHK believes the same thing, but he is not aware of it.

12. thisnumbersdisconnected

So do a lot of us, including Non-Cals like me.
    Adam made the choice, not God. Adam is the reason we have a sin nature. God made our nature pure, Adam corrupted it by 1) failing to counsel his wife, and 2) disobeying the direct command not to eat of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Period.

If God laid down the commandment and Adam broke it, who's responsible? If by Adam breaking it, we bear Adam's image (Genesis 5:4), then how is sin not imputed?

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

God told Adam and Eve that in the day they ate the forbidden fruit they would surely die. And they did die spiritually the moment they sinned. However, they were forgiven when they trusted God, the coats of skins representing the righteousness imputed to all who believe.

But nowhere did God curse Adam's nature. He cursed the ground and his body and said he would return to the dust. God did not say one word about receiving a sin nature, and this nature being passed down, that is a pure invention of man.

If you believe God cursed man so that man would have a sin nature that caused him to sin, then you believe God is the author of sin. You should become a hyper-Calvinist, because in fact, you already are one.

14. Inspector Javert

Hi D.H.K:

One way or another, you and Winman are obviously not talking:
    Here are some things you accuse Winman of believing or advocating:

This is what Winman ACTUALLY advocates:
    Neither of the two of you are even communicating if this occurs.

15. Inspector Javert

Really?
    Freud, Jung, and Skinner were "all in the same camp???"

They couldn't have disagreed more most of the time. If it's a particular "Philosophy" which is ingrained....it was probably more Jung's doing than Freud. He's the one Bill Moyers loves to quote so much.

It was probably Jung's Philosophy which agrees with men like James Joyce and other's who's Philosophy has so shaped modern thinking...
    Freud was small potatoes at best, not in HIS day....but most people (even the most godless) take him with a grain of salt.

Could T.N.D. possibly weigh in on this assertion?

#55 Inspector Javert, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2014
  16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

For not reading and studying your Bible and giving it the proper sense.
    You can answer that for yourself. Why are you asking us?
    If, as you say, "it is not known," then why all the ungodly speculation?
    First, David was not treated poorly by his father. Give evidence.
    David wasn't called because: 1. he was tending the sheep (some distance away), and 2. He was much younger than the others. He was a "youth." There is no "maltreatment" here.
    Your account of the story is wrong.
    1 Samuel 16:4 And Samuel did that which the LORD spake, and came to Bethlehem. And the elders of the town trembled at his coming, and said, Comest thou peaceably?
    5 And he said, Peaceably: I am come to sacrifice unto the LORD: sanctify yourselves, and come with me to the sacrifice. And he sanctified Jesse and his sons, and called them to the sacrifice.
    --Samuel did as the Lord commanded. All the elders appeared including Jesse and his sons. They all came (except David)

1 Samuel 16:9 Then Jesse made Shammah to pass by. And he said, Neither hath the LORD chosen this.
    10 Again, Jesse made seven of his sons to pass before Samuel. And Samuel said unto Jesse, The LORD hath not chosen these.
    11 And Samuel said unto Jesse, Are here all thy children? And he said, There remaineth yet the youngest, and, behold, he keepeth the sheep. And Samuel said unto Jesse, Send and fetch him: for we will not sit down till he come hither.
    --Verse 11 is the first specific request for David to come, and after that David is called for. David was not there because he was not the same age as his brothers--the age of a man, and because he was tending sheep. And that is exactly what Jesse said:
    "There remaineth yet the youngest, and, behold, he keepeth the sheep."
    --Are you inferring he is lying?

1 Samuel 16:12 And he sent, and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, and withal of a beautiful countenance, and goodly to look to. And the LORD said, Arise, anoint him: for this is he.
    (ISV) So he sent and brought him. He had a dark, healthy complexion, with beautiful eyes, and he was handsome. The LORD said, "Get up and anoint him, for this is the one."
    --There is no implication anywhere in Scripture that Jesse neglected his son, David. That is wild speculation on your part.
    The psalm is a psalm of repentance not one of blame.
    The verse is not describing his mother. You are wrong. David gives no suggestion that he was born of a polluted woman; to suggest such is ridiculous. Where do you read this garbage? Nowhere in Scripture do we read his family is ashamed of him. His brothers were envious of him. Look at their reaction when he came down to give them food. David was the one to rebuke them for not fighting the giant. I fear you have a different Bible than I.
    It is a psalm of repentance, David repenting for his own sin. Nowhere does he mention the sin of any other person including that of his mother, whomever she may be. Such a thought is just absurd. He looks down into the innermost depths of his own soul and is abhorred of his own sinfulness--as far back as he can see or even as he knows.
    It doesn't matter what you believe. You can believe the moon is made of green cheese for all I care. What matters is "what saith the Lord." And you simply make things up.
    Adam sinned.
    The Bible says:
    "As by one man's disobedience so many (all) are made sinners."
    Take your argument up with God.
    David said: "Against thee and thee alone have I sinned."
    David took full responsibility. I have always maintained that.
    You say that it was his mother's fault.
    Did God curse man? Did he curse woman? Did he curse satan? Did he curse the earth? You tell me.
    I don't blame God; I believe the record of the Bible; apparently you do not.

17. thisnumbersdisconnected

Forgiveness does not negate consequences.
    Obviously Genesis 3:16-19 is a judgment, not a blessing, even though God provided the strength for them to accept the judgment. But you're right, it was not a curse from God. The curse was brought upon Adam and the whole race by himself.
    Genesis 5, NASB
    3 When Adam had lived one hundred and thirty years, he became the father of a son in his own likeness, according to his image, and named him Seth. ​
    The word "likeness" in the Hebrew is de'muth, meaning "a similitude," and it has as its root damah, meaning "to be like." It isn't in reference to his physical appearance, Win, it is in reference to his spirit. Adam, not God, corrupted the race, though the image of God underlies Adam's image, and is restored when we believe.

I know you won't accept that, but it is biblical truth. I pray you can see that if Adam's sin didn't impute sin to the race, that view, in fact, is the one that implies God cursed man with a sin nature, because if it was not imputed/inherited from Adam, then it had to come from God, since we are created in His image as He created us.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Answer this question:
    At creation God said:

Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
    --God created Adam and Eve in his own image.

After the Fall (read curse).
    Genesis 5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:
    --No longer is man made in the likeness of God. Rather Seth was born in the likeness of Adam--in the likeness of his sinful flesh, not of God.

19. thisnumbersdisconnected

Seems great minds think alike. :thumbsup:

20. Inspector Javert