1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wedding ideas...We're having a wedding!!!

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by annsni, Jul 11, 2017.

1. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A check for $10,000 and an elopement.

• Like Like x 2
  2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

YEARS ago, (like around the time we got married which was 1985), a man we knew had 4 daughters. He had a white ladder that he started painting each year and decorating it with bows and flowers and he promised his daughters $10,000 if they used it to elope. LOL He said he'd be happy to pay for a wedding if that is what they wanted but this was another choice should they choose to use it. None of the girls did. LOL

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife and I were not so generous but it was offered and not accepted.

Rob

4. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My husband and I spent a whopping 60 dollars on our wedding, not counting brunch. 30 bucks for the license, 30 bucks for the justice of the peace and I went to work at 4pm that day and he had duty that weekend. That was 20 years ago. The wedding is one day, the honeymoon is maybe a couple of weeks, but a marriage is forever.

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My grandfather offered my dad 50% of the wedding cost if he and mom would elope.

6. Paco

Paco Member

Invest in a professional wedding photographer who will have a second and a third shooter and will provide albums for the couple and the couple's families, ... and provide for you images ready for you to share on social media. Don't skimp on a novice or a family member or friend to shoot the wedding. These are precious memories and are worth a substantial investment to get the best images of the entire day for both the bride and the groom.

I would also suggest that the entire ceremony and reception be set up to honor God with Scripture and prayer.

I have had some fundamentalist and staunch Southern Baptists argue with me about it, but there is no way I was not going to dance with my daughter at her wedding. The Shag is the state dance of South Carolina. My wife and I took Shag lessons for a couple of months before the wedding. I was very happy to dance the Shag with my daughter to the Motown hit made popular by the Temptations, "My Girl."

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Photographer is a given. We had a friend take pictures and they didn't turn out that great and I regret that.

This is absolutely a given. :)

We can save a lot of money by having the reception in the church and it would be easy to do....but there is no dancing allowed and I feel like we should at least be able to have the father/bride dance and the mother/groom dance. I don't mind that there is no other dancing but those are traditionally important to me and so we won't do it at the church.

8. Eric Hickman

Eric Hickman New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just before the vows I read the following to the couple...

Will you join hands and face each other

These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you, that you are holding you on your wedding day, as you promise to love each other, today, tomorrow and forever….

These hands are the hands that will work alongside yours as together you build your future.

These are the hands that will passionately love and cherish you through the years.

These are the hands that will give you comfort like no other with just the slightest touch.

These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief fills your mind.

These are the hands that will wipe the tears of sorrow and tears of joy from your eyes.

These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it.

And these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged, will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with a touch.

• Like Like x 1
  9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That is beautiful!

10. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

First of all, congrats to you all! One of the most beautiful (and unique) weddings that we've attended in the past year was held on the 18th hole at a very nice resort. The groom is quite the golf enthusiast and actually paid for a college with a golf scholarship - so the location was a natural. The wedding date was in off-season; as a result, the costs were much lower. Not sure if this could apply in NY, but just a thought.

The one item that seems to drive up the costs more than anything are the open bars at the receptions. (My guess is that you probably won't need to worry about this.) I understand the champagne (or sparkling juice) toasts, but the open bar is totally unnecessary and costly - and has hidden liability.

Overall, I would keep it as simple as possible and save the money for the honeymoon. We went on a cruise (many years ago) and it was a great decision.

BTW, along the same topic -- here is one of the cutest proposals I've seen:

www2.baylor.edu/baylorproud/2017/06/this-flash-mob-baylor-proposal-is-going-viral/