1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wedding ideas...We're having a wedding!!!

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by annsni, Jul 11, 2017.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My 25 year old daughter got engaged last week to a wonderful, godly young man and we are thrilled. This will be our first wedding of one of our kids (3 girls, 1 boy - we have a few more to go!) and we are thinking things through. We are on Long Island so things are EXPENSIVE for wedding venues so I just told her that we could possibly do a backyard wedding and she's so excited. So that would mean a caterer and a tent and all. We've done 2 weddings in our yard of friend's daughters but that was over 10 years ago and now our house needs work and maybe this is my sneaky way to get some things done! Hey, saving $20,000 on a wedding venue? I can get new carpet! LOL

So what are some neat things you've seen done at weddings? We went to one that was for a girl at the camp I work at and they did an outdoor wedding with a BBQ and it was western themed. What they did was the bride and groom actually served the guests on the buffet line. It was so sweet because they spoke to the guests beforehand and explained that each and every one who came had served them through their lives in some way and this was a way for them to give back. They had adorable aprons and they served each and every person there! I thought that was so sweet. Both Nicole and Jeremy are in ministry together and separately. They are both strong believers and really want to honor God with this wedding. So I'd LOVE to hear some ideas that I could pass on to them that they might want to incorporate into their wedding reception (I think we are good on the ceremony - Dad will NOT do the ceremony because he will just cry through the whole thing - LOL). :)

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep the wedding simple spend all the money on the honeymoon

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The problem is that they also want a nice big party - which is why we're thinking backyard so we can afford to have more people. :)

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lots of pictures.

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Three weddings and the house is now empty!

The first was a backyard reception with a large tent and BBQ - 4th of July theme

Second was a firehouse reception

The last was a destination wedding in the Outer Banks - short pants and barefoot

None was cheap but we didn't go overboard either.

Rob

6. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, after years of seeing how much is spent/wasted on weddings -- including us as well -- I guess I'm a scrouge and would recommend a private ceremony. But I realize most people don't go for that. Just keep your head, don't good overboard and do the nice things that you can. The backyard venue sounds like a good idea!

7. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My suggestion is pick the most important things you want and than work down from there. My biggest expense after the venue, which you thankfully won't have, was the photographer. And she was worth every penny and more. The next biggest was my dress. All the other big expenses that people think of (cake, invitations, decoration) I asked people that I knew were talented in that area to do that for me as the wedding gift. So one lady in my church made the cake, another made my invitations, and a group of ladies did my center pieces/decorations. All told my wedding cost around 7500, with 3,000 being the venue/catering (thanks to a lot of issues I could not get married at my church so I was stuck having to shell out for a venue) 2500 for the photographer (again she was worth every penny) and my dress was around 1000. Which means I was able to do everything else around thousand dollars. Those little things, gifts for the wedding party, postage, flowers, keepsake, can add up so just be aware of that.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do what will make your family happy.

My wedding was a shoestring affair. Neither of our families had any money. The church was free. She and I paid for her wedding dress and I paid for the flowers. I paid for the photographer. Our friends made the cake and supplied the reception supplies.

My daughter's wedding was a bit more elaborate. We rented a 1901 building for the wedding and rehearsal dinner. We paid for the dress, which was exactly what the wife and daughter wanted. We paid for the professional photographer (never, ever scrimp on the photographer. Lots of people can snap, but only those with experience can do justice to the occasion). Dad cooked and served the wedding dinner. Everyone had enough to eat and drink. The wife and daughter were happy, so that's all that matters.

About the honeymoon: My wife and I put off the honeymoon (we went to work two days later), and so did the daughter. A honeymoon is a wonderful idea, but sometimes there's too much emphasis on the "perfect" honeymoon that no amount of bliss can fulfill. We took our honeymoon later and I don't see that we missed anything important.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, lots of pictures! Especially the non-professional and candid shots.

They are just as cherished as the professional - by the children yet born :)

But have the best professional you can afford of course.

HankD

10. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another note on the photographer, make sure that you will get the copyright for all photos. One of my friends was not allowed to post her wedding pictures on FB because of copyright nor could she makes prints to give to people.
    On the other hand my photographer made a selling point of the fact that her clients own the copyright, which means I can do anything I want with my wedding photos. Just something to keep in mind.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

11. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope, spend the money on their first house.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope spend it on the marriage (honeymoon)

13. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gone in a week. Money up in smoke.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Investing in your marriage is never up in smoke.

15. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point. We ran into that a number of years ago when our daughter participated in an event (not a wedding) and we were given pictures for her participation. When we later thought we would have some more pictures made, we found out we could not because the picture who took the picture had the rights to them rather than the person in the picture. Had never known that before then.

16. Joseph shall add

Do it like a traditional Jewish wedding. Do not buy anything as in gifts, they need to pick there own stuff. Give them money or stocks/ or better yet buy them a house/ or give them a down payment on one. Tell them good luck and bless them. Have a friend take the wedding photos. Use a church for the service. ( cost very little ). Do not be cheap but a wedding is a celebration of two families joining and the union of two people. Invite God.

17. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, maybe me and my wife should take a $40,000 vacation next week

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you really think that is the same thing?

19. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah. O
    Yeah. Our honeymoon was wasted money. We would have had the same amount of fun at any hotel with a nice room.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You and I see honeymoons in a very different light.