1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Were non-Calvinists predestinated to be non-Calvinists?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by George Antonios, Sep 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed, you struggle...against the Sovereignty of God as revealed by God in His word.
    Your open theology attempts to tear God down from His Supremacy and dominion while you preach that God is unaware and clueless until humans make their choices.
    When the Bible is shared, and not interpreted, you claim I misinterpreted God. See how you argue and make claims against God's word while telling me that I misunderstand. George, you have been thoroughly answered and you choose a lesser view of God. God, at this moment has ordained that it be so. May God open your eyes and may you repent of the abomination of open theism.

2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eloquent Post my friend.
    MB:)

3. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :rolleyes:The misrepresenting and high-minded spirit of Job's friends and royal suck-ups to God if you ever saw it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’ve read some of Boyd’s stuff, but not until I had realized the Bible said nothing about exhaustive foreknowledge. And I don’t like some of his opinions.

Both Arminianism and Calvinism suffer from a presupposition that leads them astray, and keeps them fighting with each other over how to defeat the other’s bad conclusions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand Job and his trials very well. You...are by no means...Job.
    Second, Job had the same theology as his friends. They rightly believed in the Supremacy of God in all things. They wrongly thought that evil from God meant the person was being punished by God. Both Job and his friends had a higher view of God than any open theists could ever have.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    What presupposition is that, Derf?

7. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know I’m not the most concise poster, but that particular post of mine was pretty clear, and not so verbose that the point was lost, I thought.

But I’ll restate it more clearly. Both suffer from the presupposition that God has exhaustive foreknowledge. They just disagree on the source of that foreknowledge.

8. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Generic truths irrelevant to what I said...just like Job's friends.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you mean by "exhaustive foreknowledge?"

10. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Parable (DEMO) > Jonathan Edwards on God’s Exhaustive Foreknowledge of the Future

11. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Specific truths that show your grasp of Job and his friends is weak at best.

12. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assume you know what foreknowledge means. Exhaustive means complete, utter, without exception.

13. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    See above.
    Open theism is a humanist view of God that seeks to minimize God and lift up human will. It is liberalism in disguise. I have watched as Greg Boyd follows the same path downward as Rob Bell. It's just sad. His church kicked him out of the pulpit and now he just scrambles to be heard by ignorant undergrads who don't know their Bible.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Re. Edwards: Without a particular verse (which no one has) that proves exhaustive foreknowledge, it’s much easier to show limited foreknowledge with examples of the absence of exhaustive foreknowledge. Hezekiah is a perfect example, where God had Isaiah prophecy two opposing outcomes within minutes of each other. Both did NOT come to pass (for obvious reasons).

Regarding Boyd, I already said I’m not a fan, just like I’m not a fan of a number of Calvinists and a number of Arminians, for various reasons (Jerry Falwell Jr comes to mind). And do you know why there are so many denominations of Christianity? Because of so many leaders that went down the wrong path in some way, usually regarding a disagreement on doctrine. Calvinist denominations might be the worst in that regard.

So, do you want to address my actual post, that said both Calvs and Arms are wrong? Or just throw out fluff that merely disparages.

15. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Post #78 addressed it already.

Daniel 4:34-35 At the end of the days I, Nebuchadnezzar, lifted my eyes to heaven, and my reason returned to me, and I blessed the Most High, and praised and honored him who lives forever, for his dominion is an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom endures from generation to generation; all the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, and he does according to his will among the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay his hand or say to him, “What have you done?”

Isaiah 14:24,26-27 The Lord of hosts has sworn: “As I have planned, so shall it be, and as I have purposed, so shall it stand, This is the purpose that is purposed concerning the whole earth, and this is the hand that is stretched out over all the nations. For the Lord of hosts has purposed, and who will annul it? His hand is stretched out, and who will turn it back?

Ephesians 1:11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see. So you think God is the author of sin, and you believe He predestines to hell, since He purposes everything?

17. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    God ordained angelic and human rebellion.
    God ordained rebels to hell.
    God ordained grace to whom he wills.
    God ordains all things according to the counsel of His will.

You seem to think God is not in control. I disagree with your view of God. You have created an image of God based on your own imagination, not based upon God's revealed word.
    I stand by the verses that I shared.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Derf, I'm with you on these points, but you need to show what you believe from the Word. Philosophy and emotion arent taken terribly seriously by many in this forum.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    On what points? I was merely stating his views, for which there is no scriptural proof.

20. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to think God had to be the author of sin to be in control. That doesn’t even fit with Baptist or Calvinistic confessions, much less what God has revealed about Himself.

You should consider where you are getting your theology from. Those verses don’t support you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.