1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Were Old Testament Saints Placed in a "Holding Cell" Before the Cross?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, Jan 20, 2023.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: by Abraham's bosom is meant heaven, a phrase well known to the Jews, by which they commonly expressed the happiness of the future state: of Abraham's happy state they had no doubt; and when they spake of the happiness of another's, they sometimes signified it by going to Abraham ...

for as it was usual with them to represent the joys of heaven by a feast, so the partaking of them, by sitting down at a table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; see Matthew 8:11 and as their manner at meals was by lying along on couches at eating; he that lay next another might be said to lie, or lean, in his bosom: hence Abraham's bosom came to signify the near and intimate enjoyment of happiness with him in the other world. The ascension of Christ is expressed by a being "carried up into heaven", Luke 24:51 and here he is entered, and has been received, and will be retained, until the time of the restitution of all things; here he is glorified in human nature, sits at the right hand of God, and appears in his presence, on the behalf of his people; and indeed, the ends of his going there, were to receive gifts for them, to be their advocate and intercessor, to take possession of heaven in their name, and prepare that for them, and them for that; and hither "he was carried by angels": these were the chariots in which he rode; and these the guard that attended him, when he was seen, looked upon, and gazed at by them with adoration, faith, and wonder; which shows the ministration of angels to him, and seems to set forth the glory and magnificence in which he ascended; and this agrees with the notions of the Jews, that when good men die, their souls are immediately received by angels, and taken under their care, and carried to heaven."

- from John Gill's Bible commentary on Luke 16:22

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Abraham's bosom is not paradise. That is a mistaken doctrine.
    The 3d heaven and Paradise are used interchangeably.
    "Jesus' resurrection" occurred spiritually the day He died, as the Thief and Jesus went to heaven spiritually. The tomb was empty bodily on the third day. Thus Jesus physical resurrection occurred before the tomb was entered on the third day.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see someone claimed Abraham's bosom refers to "heaven" but since no one went to heaven before Christ, that claim is unbiblical. John 3:13

4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    True. And without question, was since Christ's ascension.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those who are advocating that Old Testament saints were placed in a "holding cell" or some such place, whatever they might call it, until the cross, when Moses and Elijah appeared with Christ at His transfiguration, where did they come from and where did they go back to?

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Abraham's bosom!

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you imagine "Abraham's bosom" consisted of? What do you think the experience was like? Do you think God was being worshiped by the residents? Do you think it still exists?

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does this poster deny the existence of "Abraham's bosom?"
    Did this poster ask what scripture passage teaches of its existence?
    Just read Luke 16:19 and following!

Does Abraham's bosom still exist? I do not know, but would guess, although empty of any persons, it still exists and will be destroyed per Hades destruction as described in Revelation. I think those led captive by Jesus were the former inhabitants of Abraham's bosom. Yes, I believe all the inhabitants "gained approval" by faith, and thus were believers in God and His promises. I think Jesus, after He died on the cross, preached to them and they all trusted fully in Christ.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not deny it. "Abraham's bosom", in the parable of the rich man and Lazarus, was a Jewish colloquialism or idiom for Heaven, as explained by John Gill in his Bible commentary.

"Abraham's bosom" exists. It is called Heaven.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When were the OT saints in heaven, if no one went to heaven before Christ came to earth. Folks, no answer will be forthcoming.
    The fiction that Abraham's bosom is paradise exploded years ago.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 10:14-16 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

Folks, please notice that Christ already had His sheep. They were not potentially His sheep. He calls them "my sheep". He says He will lay down His life for His sheep. Who are His sheep which He possessed even at that point in time and for whom He would be laying down His life? ALL of His sheep - His sheep before that point in time, His sheep at that point in time, His sheep after that point in time.

Thus, Abraham, David, Samson, ALL of the Old Testament saints were already Christ's sheep for whom He would be laying down His life. The Old Testament saints weren't in some "holding cell" or "Limbo of the Patriarchs" waiting to become Christ's sheep. They were ALREADY Christ's sheep.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My sheep refers to those individuals who believe into Christ. Of My Sheep refers to potential candidates for salvation. Thus My sheep refers to those God has credited with righteous faith. The Old Testament Saints were indeed in Abraham's bosom.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "My sheep" includes ALL of those whom God chose before time began to bring to glorification - including Abraham, David, Samson, ALL of those for whom Christ laid down His life as the Good Shepherd.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are no "potential candidates". There are sheep and there are goats. Goats don't turn into sheep. Sheep don't turn into goats.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Utter nonsense. No individual was chosen for salvation before time began. 1 Peter 2:9-10.
    Folks, all they do is repeat their claims and ignore the scripture that falsifies their claims.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van, what you quoted even says "chosen". So who did the choosing, Van? You or God?

Furthermore,

Ephesians 1:3-6 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: according as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, to the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

2 Timothy 1:9 who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

(emphasis mine)

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God says individuals were chosen after, repeat after, being not a chosen people. Thus individuals were not chosen before time began, otherwise we would have always been a chosen people.

No need to go "furthermore!"

Folks, note the endless parade of verse after verse, while ignoring each and every rebuttal. This is all they have.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I answer your rebuttals. You just don't like the answer from the Scriptures.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another claim something sound was said in the past, but no quote or reference to what was said is included. That is like me saying I have proven something is unbiblical, like the claim God cannot do something, but not providing the reference to Romans 4:23-25.

Folks, these guys have no answers, so they twirl an empty sack.

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? I replied to your post.