Were souls created before the body is formed?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by loDebar, Oct 15, 2018.

1. SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, the Bible doesn’t say when our souls/spirits are created. But to use Genesis 2:2 for your support is iffy. Later on He made Eve from Adam’s rib. So He created Eve after He ceased from His work.

Notice how no one is backing up your new age mystical claim(s). You’re on a deserted island. Say hello to Wilson for me.

2. loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you know Eve was created ? She came from Adam. not from nothing.
    Both were created beings, like you and me. So God continued to create souls when bodies were formed in the womb?

violates Gen 2:2

The Bible clearly says God created all things and since He ceased creating after Gen 2:2. Souls must have been created before.

3. SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you’re going by assumption. The Bible doesn’t say they were all created and then placed in bodies later on. Quit making assumptions that you can not unequivocally prove.

4. tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

I agree he rested from his creation but soul and spirits are not his creation they are his re-creation... New Heaven and a new earth... I rest my case!... Brother Glen:)

5. SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please expound on what you mean they are His recreation. Thanks a bushel.

6. tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SG being born again is a new creation... I couldn't think of a better word so Re-Creation seems to fit!

Hebrews 8:8 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.

8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

8:13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

7. SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, where does our soul come from?

8. loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    new Heaven (space) and Earth has not occurred yet
    It was created as was all things, by God, when ? sometime in eternity

9. SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does the Bible say about the pre-existence of souls?

Your new age mysticism, how long will they suffer it on here.

To quote Willy Wonka, “The suspense is terrible...I hope It'll last.”

10. loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The OP list many verses that show the position.
    Try to understand what they are saying.

Rev 21:1

And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

11. loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The OP does not have anything to do with salvation, except one must be flesh then born again as spirit. Humanity is the method God chose to redeem sinners,

12. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't prove there is no Santa Claus by Scripture. So, list your supporting scripture references and I'll deal with those.

13. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stop. You aren't helping.

14. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The OP lists your presumptions. You get pre-existence from "ye are gods?" Let's see your exegesis.

15. loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    no assumptions, you are free to offer corrections.

gods in this chapter, as many others, is elohyim.

Psa 82:1

[[A Psalm of Asaph.]] God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

This had to happen in Heaven because He judgeth among the elohyim or standeth in the congregation

Psa 82:6
    I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
    אֲֽנִי־֭אָמַרְתִּי אֱלֹהִ֣ים אַתֶּ֑ם וּבְנֵ֖י עֶלְיֹ֣ון כֻּלְּכֶֽם׃

you are elohyim, children of, God or ben elohyim
    Psa 82:7
    But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

but ye will die like men and fall like one of the princes or rulers (presumed to be Satan, a prince who fell)

This was recited in John 10
    Jhn 10:33
    The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
    Jhn 10:34
    Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
    Jhn 10:35
    If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
    Jhn 10:36
    Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
    Jhn 10:37
    If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.
    Jhn 10:38
    But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.
    Jhn 10:39
    Therefore they sought again to take him: but he escaped out of their hand,

Accused of blasphemy, Jesus responded from Psalms82 saying men including the lost Pharisees were elohyim, not earthly rulers as some suggest. And if scripture call men elohyim, how can they accuse Him of blasphemy? He added the scripture must be true.

16. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Souls are mortal (Ezekiel 18:4; James 5:20). Souls do not die until the second death (Matthew 10:28; Revelation 20:15). What lives on is called their worm (singular) (Mark 9:48; Revelation 14:10-11; Revelation 21:8). Death of the soul is not annihilation. When our Lord paid for our sins with His blood, His soul died on the cross finishing the payment for sins (Psalms 22:1; Isaiah 53:10;John 19:28). And after it was finished. His soul restored He physically died (Luke 23:46; John 19:30). Matthew, Mark and Luke only record Jesus cried with a loud voice, John records what Jesus said, and Luke give the words He spoke following the cry.

So only those who have eternal life will have immortality..

17. SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please clarify by what you mean by saying the Christ’s soul died. Thanks a bushel

18. loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    your inclusion of the physical as soul is error. You statements are really messed up.

The soul does not die, Only the physical dies. Death to the soul is separation from God. Jesus died physically on the cross and spiritual because He became sin, God us Holy and cannot allow sin, Jesus was separated from the Godhead when He said "foresaken"

19. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The soul is not the physical body. Though in the Hebrew a dead body is referred to as a dead soul.

Jesus soul died on the cross being forsaken by God for our sins (Psalms 22:1; Matthew 27:46). ". . . He hath poured out His soul unto death . . ." -- Isaiah 53:12. ". . . I lay down my life [ ψυχην soul] . . ." -- John 10:17.

20. loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus body dies, just as ours will, Our eternal person will live

Hebrews include the body sometimes when using soul as the whole person nephesh , ruwach as oppossed to the different words to distinguish the use of only the body

These verses do not say soul , as the Greek pnuema uses it