1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What about OUR dreamers? It's time America stand for it's people ...

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by righteousdude2, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are defensive. Every job interview I had since I was married had the question about how my wife felt about me being on call, working overtime, nights, and holidays. I see it as a meaningful question, you see it as a sexist question. You can work, you just feel you are worth more than they offer.

2. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree. Try being a pilot or a doctor and not being on call, facing long hours and weekends and holidays, etc. Yep, it is a legitimate question for an interviewer to ask a potential employee.

3. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that a lot of people say that they want to work, but what they mean is that they only want to work on their terms.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

And at my age, after a job where I felt like I was someone's slave and the place was utterly insane, well, you want what I know? Then you're gonna pay me for it. You want my 20+ years of experience? Pay for it. You don't pay, I don't give away the store. I do quite well with the freelance when I want to work. I figure they're coming to me...so, obviously I have something you want. The trick is finding out how much you want to pay for it. It's called capitalism.

5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My work involved a lot of Military Contracts in San Diego... I had a leg up because I knew the jargon... I also had a leg up because I loved the graveyard shift... Traffic was a breeze, when I was going to work, people were coming home and when I was going home, people were going to work... At night there were less bosses and we were the most productive shift as we could do our work without interference... I guess I was just a night owl... How many of you other brethren love graveyard?:eek:... Probably not many... Brother Glen:D

6. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the above is true, why all the whining about "can't get a job"? If you can freelance "when I want to work" what more do you want? Sorta makes your whole pity party superfluous to your actual circumstances!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Earlier you said you could not buy a job. Now you have offers running out your ears, they just don't pay enough. Make up your mind.

8. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ok guys...
    Let's say you're an engineering director at an engineering/construction company. You get a resume for a design position submitted and you start reading it over. This person has 10 years' experience and certifications for Naval nuclear propulsion design. Certified sub-safe designer. Certified AutoCAD professional. A degree. Familiarity with multiple software suites. Wrote processes, procedures and checklists for various design disciplines to use in a certain project. Total of over 20 years' experience in the design world, mechanical, piping, etc. Your budget for this position is 40K/yr. Are you going to call this person for an interview?

Regarding offers, yes, I've turned down a few. 15 bucks an hour for what's in my toolbox? Nope. Nuh uh...ain't happening. I got offered 12 bucks an hour one place. I laughed in the guy's face.

Again, I'm a capitalist (or a prostitute)...if your bid isn't high enough...tough.

I'm not "whining"...I'm pointing out that your presuppositions are incorrect.

9. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    3rd shift for me.

10. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe its your initial portrayal of your situation that is incorrect. Can't find a job. Can't buy a job. Etc. Etc. Truth is, you do not want to work for the salary offered.

#50 Reynolds, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For a few years I had a schedule that was not quite a graveyard (my day began at 0130). I liked it. It was a fixed schedule and I was at home every night.

The worst were the on-call rotations. Seemed like I was the one who got a lot of the stuff that began at 10pm and turned into all-nighters.

I drank much coffee then.

12. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife is in much the same situation. Though, as a CAD operator, she's at the lower end of the pay scale. Yes, she looking for another position as her current employer is about to move out of commuting range. But, she has the luxury of waiting out low ball offers.

13. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

this is funny...hysterically funny. I see it as I have a skill to sell. This is the price. You don't want to pay that price, you don't get to buy the skill. Isn't that sort of what capitalism is based on?

would YOU take a 20-30K/yr pay cut? Would you? Be honest.

14. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently your price is too high for the market. Perhaps companies are buying the skill you provide for lower prices than you are asking.

No, of course not. But apparently companies are getting your skill for $20K less per year nowadays than they did when you were flying high. The market has changed.

Please do not take what I say the wrong way.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are the one who said you can't get a job. I am not having that problem. Obviously you think you are worth much more than potential employers think you are worth. Honestly, if I needed a job, I would take what I could find even if it were minimum wage. What I think I am worth is not the issue. What the man signing the check thinks I am worth is what matters. If I needed an engineer to design a light pole, why would I pay extra for submarine design expertise that I do not need?

#55 Reynolds, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. LowOiL

LowOiL Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fox & Friends: Maybe Trump’s Wall Was “Symbolic”

9/14/2017
    (No author credited)

Minutes later, Fox & Friends‘ Steve Doocy floated the idea that the whole wall might have been “symbolic” and that maybe we would get to a point where “they won’t build the wall.”

Fox & Friends: Maybe Trump's wall was "symbolic" - Hot Air
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donald J. Trump on August 31, 2016:

"We will build a great wall along the southern border," he said to cries of "build the wall" from the boisterous crowd. "And Mexico will pay for the wall."

He later said the wall would be "impenetrable, physical, tall, powerful, beautiful."

Trump doubles down on 'impenetrable, physical' wall during immigration speech

I don't understand how a symbolic wall gets 10 feet higher. Or how Mexico pays for a symbolic thing.

17. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The bottom line with this issue is that Democrats care more about the non-citizen then they do about the actual citizens of this country. The 800k number is a lie because with "family reunification" the actual number of aliens allowed to stay or come here will be close to 3 million.

18. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And why is that? Gee, i wonder if the easy to get government payouts might have something to do with it.

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, I had to wait until I was 62 to collect the SS system benefits I had paid into all of my working life.
    As opposed to SSI (A kind of Federal Welfare System "a needs-based program for people with limited income and resources" (For those who don't know). https://www.ssa.gov/sf/FactSheets/aianssavsssifinalrev.pdf

Personally I am not opposed to this entitlement for those who are truly in need.
    It is NOT for the able bodied who are abusers of the system.
    http://www.reformssdinow.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Fraud-SSDI.pdf

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1