1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What are You Currently Reading?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by following-Him, Jul 15, 2005.

1. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

I have almost finished Pilgrim's Progress. Not sure what I will be reading next.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just got "Brothers, We are Not Professionals" by John Piper. Started it last night.

And got Acorn's Heaven for my wife's devotion. She is enamored with PDL (Purpose Driven Life) at present, finding it a lot deeper than I had considered.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is BBF. </font>[/QUOTE]And a whole lot of it is "fiction", too!!

Actually it is more Landmark than just BBF, and not designed to be a book or an authoritative guide. Just a general guideline (which it is)

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    FH - what was your thinking of Pilgrim? I am really NOT into "Allegory" and did not like it a bit.

But my wife, kids and just about everyone considers it a "great" read and "deep" spiritually.

5. following-Him

Dr. Bob

I have now finished reading it and yes, I too like your wife really enjoyed it.

I can appreciate that it isn't everyone's cup of tea. Why don't you share what you are reading with us?

I have almost finished N.T. Wright's "The New Testament and The People of God". Not sure what will follow as I am hoping to get the reading list for my new course very soon.

God Bless

fh

6. following-Him

I have finished N.T. Wright's "The New Testament and The People of God" and am going on to the next volume in the series: "Jesus and the Victory of God".

Also reading "Skipping Christmas" by John Grisham. [​IMG]

7. HomeSchooling4Jesus

HomeSchooling4Jesus New Member

Teaching The Trivium by Harvey and Laurie Bluedorn

To Train Up a Child by Michael and Debi Pearl

Adam and His Kin by Dr. Ruth Beechick

8. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

I'm currently reading "A Framework for Understanding Poverty" by Ruby K. Payne. A great book...what an eye opener! My boss, a high school principal, asked me to order it for her; and I found myself reading it as well. I highly recommend it.

PA

9. Grimlock Prime

Grimlock Prime New Member

Just finished Witness by Whittaker Chambers. Now I'm bouncing between 1776 at work and the Essential Silver Surfer at home.

10. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian

11. Jamey W.

Jamey W. New Member

I just started reading, "When The Enemy Strikes" by Charles F. Stanley. I am actually in the third chapter...and it is very good so far.

12. following-Him

Jamey,

I have also started Charles Stanley's book but I put it down and need to finish it.

I am also reading "Between Two Horizons" edited by Joel B. Green and Max Turner.

13. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

We begin 40 Days of Purpose tomorrow night at church. We're using it in place of S/S literature through Oct. 30th.

14. following-Him

Diane,

How I wish our church would do something like that. Sunday School is restricted to the children and young people here, however Rob and I were very pleasantly surprised to see a new AWANA group set up at a church we visited recently. [​IMG]

God Bless

Sheila

15. superdave

superdave New Member

First Impressions: creating WOW experiences in your church by Mark Waltz - Interesting read, very practical nature, you may find some interesting ideas for your church in this one.

Fools Gold, from the faculty of Master's college edited by John MacArthur. An analysis of the Church Growth movement. Just started it, maybe I'll open a thread on it later.

16. hamricba

hamricba New Member

The Deliberate Church by Mark Dever. Just released this month. An outstanding, simple to follow read that takes 9 Marks more in depth. Highly recommended.

17. tenor

tenor New Member

Currently re-reading "Music Through the Eyes of Faith" by Harold Best and "True Worship: Reclaiming the Wonder and Majesty" by Don Hustad.

18. Brice

Brice New Member

Just finished Max Lucado's Come Thirsty. Reading God's Man of Influence by Jim George.

19. following-Him

I have almost finished "Between Two Horizons-Spaning New Testament Studies and Systematic Theology" ed by Joel B. Green and Max Turner and I have got to read some chapters in "Theology of the Old Testament" by Eichrodt, "Old Testament Theology" by Von Rad and "Theology of the Old Testament" by Brueggemann. That should keep me busy for a while. [​IMG]

20. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Currently Reading:

City of God- Augustine
    Holiness- J.C. Ryle
    Understanding Dispensationalists- Vern Poythress
    Overcoming The World: Grace To Win The Daily Battle - Joel Beeke