1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What are your views on various doctrines?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by banana, Mar 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greetings. You got it ;)
    I know it's a strange system, but I see that, since the ekklesia existed in the OT Septuagint, and dispensationalism teaches that after the present church gets raptured things revert back to the mosaic dispensation, it would logically follow that saints during that period are part of the ekklesia: the only difference being that they are now the ekklesia of Christ. The ekklesia of Christ didn't exist in the Septuagint: the ekklesia did though.

And the early church fathers were pretribularional and also believed that the church existed in the tribulation: so my belief isn't as strange to Christian theology as you may think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you put alongside (or ahead of) Scripture?

• Like Like x 2
  3. The Parson

The Parson Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So why is no one talking to Van? I hope no one minds my asking the question about Progressive Dispensationalism Squire... Is that another way of saying God acts differently in different era's?

4. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptist Doctrinally, Independent
    Biblicist (non-Calvinist, non-Arminian by their usual definitions)
    Pre-trib/pre-mill, Dispy light (salvation is always by grace through faith)
    Non-brider
    Landmarker in doctrine only, non-traceable succession of beliefs
    KJV Only
    Personal and Ecclesiastical Separation
    Hymns
    Literal 6-day creation
    I do not believe a church should submit itself to incorporation.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "no one" refers to those who advocate Calvinism. In the past, many folks attempted to defend what they claimed, not so much anymore.

Now the subject is changed to some claimed personal fault of mine, off the topic of the thread.

Ask away about Progressive Dispensationalism. Most answers will be found in Galatians chapter 3.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  6. The Parson

The Parson Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Van. Although I'm not even the slightest bit Calvinistic, I won't ignore you. Does Progressive Dispensationalism actually teach that God will re-institute the burnt offerings in the millennium? Why would that even be necessary if so?

7. John of Wood Green

John of Wood Green New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personal Beliefs:
    Five Solae.
    Scripture in context of Scripture as a whole the only authority.
    This implies cessation of sign gifts, but not necessarily cessation of miracles with servants of God involved in some way.
    Textus Receptus plus (i.e., inclusivist eclecticism, as opposed to the all too fashionable exclusivist eclecticism. Arguments based on content should be considered on their merits).
    Formal equivalent translation for personal study a must, with notes and comments preferable to "dynamic equivalent" without notes that give the formal equivalent. Accessible formal equivalent or reliable dynamic equivalent (NIV in some places not reliable) for public reading.
    Calvinistic, TULIP.
    Covenant Theology, Sign of the Covenant to be administered whole, as its OT type was, not piecemeal; i.e., Baptist. Mode of baptism should involve both immersion (preferably total) and effusion.
    As a scientist, 6-day creation, with possibility of universe expanding from singularity within the period as per Nahmanides and Grosseteste.
    Postmillenial, with millennium beginning with binding and incarceration in figure of Satan shortly after Pentecost, commonly called amillennial, wholesale conversion of racial Israel occurring at the very end of that period.
    Psalms in worship a must, other scriptures or hymns totally derived from Scripture also includable. Universalist or annihilationist implications should be banned from all worship.
    Musical instruments, if employed, as an aid to worship only, for the benefit of the worshippers.
    Open communion with fenced table.
    Presbyterian church government preferred; archepiscopal no more than tolerated with regrets - similarly married women as elders or without head covering - and long haired men.
    Nature of elements in Lord's Supper: Use common sense (wine) and ring the changes (bread).

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No to burnt offerings. Christ died once for all. See Hebrews.

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    PD would be teaching that there has only been one real people of God, and that the Church and Israel are not that farapart as claii
    think the MAIN difference between classical and pro dispy is on how they view Israel/Church...
    Classic says there are 2 Covenants in place in plan of God, and that the Church was "invisble" totally to OT authors...
    That all promises made to israel apply just to them, Church not included in those plans, will be totally fulfilled at Second Coming onward...

pros take it that OT "knew" something about Church, and that some of the promises made to Israel "blended" into Church Age... Some of OT prophecies were fulfilled in Church, but NOT having Church replacing/becoming new Israel...

Both Dispy teach still israel still has a Plan with God, Second Coming pre Mill etc

Biggest difference is they, pro dispy, tend to 'blur: clear dinstiction between Israel and Church
    Seeing partial OT prophecies fulfilled in Church, unlike Classic who keep clearly apart...
    Almost like there is jsut now 1 Covenant new one ongoing but both jews and gentiles have differing parts of it...

Jews and gentile now come into the Church, at Sec Coming National Israel than gets fulfilled and saved unto lord...

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van, we calvinists love you as a brother in Christ, and we do not try to "prove" our theology to you, as you are pretty much hating it!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See them as being memorials unto Jesus to bedone during his reigning, just as we celebrate Him by communion, the nations will by those!

12. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Philosophy, theology, textual criticism, commentary, science even, Dream interpretation, Psychology: Especially Carl Jung's psychology.

David sought extrabiblical help from ahithophel regularly. 2 Sam 16:23. This isn't the sole reason why I'm not sola scriptura though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  13. The Parson

The Parson Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then what is the substance of those offerings Van?

14. The Parson

The Parson Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to be an expert on their group of brethren Yeshua1. Just from experience, or did you once believe this also? From most of your posts I haven't quite placed you with a historical group as of yet.

15. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh be quiet Van! That's not what he was doing!

16. banana

banana Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    how does OSAS work in synergism?

17. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Disciple/follower of Jesus Christ
    I worship and serve in a local Baptist church
    3-4 points
    Pre-trib, premillenial
    Creationist, but undecided on age of the earth, I do believe 24 hour days
    Bible translations--NASB, NKJV, starting to read more ESV lately (grew up and still read KJV often)
    Believe in a literal Hell

Worship Music is wonderful, whether written 500 years ago or 5 days ago if it glorifies God
    the dress code at our local church is...wear some clothes

I've come to a pretty interesting spot in my life lately...
    I'm too "staunch" and "old fashioned" for a lot of the youth in our church,
    and to some of our elderly members I'm a little too "unrefined"...

It's quite an interesting spot to be in at times.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not an advocate of synergism. But the Arminian argument would go like this. God provides the cliff. You jump off the cliff.
    But once you jump, then your future is in God's hands.

But, to repeat, that view is not, repeat not, what scripture clearly teaches. We do not, by professing Christ, put ourselves spiritually in Christ. It is God and God alone (monergistically) who either credits our faith as righteousness and puts us into Christ spiritually or not. OSAS monergistically.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The scriptures are the ONLY inspired source of revelation from God though, correct?.
    As the doctrine is not just the bible, but that whatever other sources used, the Bible MUST be always the primary and only authoritative source!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good question! Was a teaching Elder in the AOG, then became a Free Baptist, now a Calvinist Baptist, was pre trib, now historical Pre Mil, and do like some aspects of both say PD and the NCT....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.