1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What can wash away my sin?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Aubre, Jun 9, 2006.

1. standingfirminChrist

When someone drives up beside me when I am riding in a car and they have a boom box going, I pray God will

1. cause their speakers to suddenly and miraculously turn down, or blow up
    2. provide money for them for hearing aids so they can hear better without
    destroying their eardrums
    3. show Christ to them so they will get rid of their worldly ways

2. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

And that's precisely the problem. You dictate, but what you are dictating has nothing to do with the scriptures. You throw out verses about "worldliness", but your whole definition of what is worldly and godly is based on culture, generation and your own associations, rather than anything in scripture. That is dictating your own understanding, and reading it into scripture, and then judging others over it. Sorry, but nobody has the right to do that. And Christ tells people who can see others' blindness, but refuse to admit their own, that because "...you say 'We see!'; therefore your sin remains!" (John 9:41)

3. standingfirminChrist

According to God's Holy Word, I do not judge others except through 'righteous judgment.' Righteous judgment is made by lining up people's lives and actions with the Word of God. I have indeed judged, but righteously according to the scripture. As Daniel told Belshazzar on that day that his kingdom fell, 'You have been weighed in the balance and found wanting,' so I am able to say as well by the authority of God's Holy Word that those who are drinking from the table of the Lord and the table of devils, those who will not separate themselves from worldliness, are also weighed in the balance and found wanting.

4. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

I see the prideful and judgmental attitude has not changed. Not one verse has been given in any post that a style of music is of the devil. Not one verse has been given as to what type of music God prefers. All styles of music were in the world before they were in the Church. The church has not invented nor has it been inspired to create a style or type of music. SFIC you are not the priest of the Word of God---you can believe anything you want, but your beliefs are yours, they are not biblically based.

As for you last statement----"do not esteem oneself more highly than we ought"

Bro Tony

5. gekko

gekko New Member

no no no SFIC... this is what i asked:

i did not ask you what you would pray for them...
    i asked you what your flesh nature does... you still havn't answered yet.

hmm... SFIC... dont you think you're gettin a little prideful there?

at least i dont claim to know better then you. i agree with some of what you say. what i dont agree with is what i talk about. i dont go saying that 'according to God's word i can dictate to others what his word says' - cause really. im not perfect and so i dont go dictating to others what his word says. its just safer that way.

have i ever said that rock music is ok by scripture? no. why? because scripture talks nothing of it.
    have you said that rock music is of the devil? yes. why? because YOU THINK scripture talks about it. when really it doesnt. its very slim pickins when it talks about music.

you cannot prove that rock music appeals to my flesh. quite the contrary - christian rock brings me to a closer relationship to the God of Israel. in fact - i'll tell you this - if there was no music in my life - i wouldn't be where i am right now. that is only 10th on my list though. if Jesus wasn't in my life - (thats the number one) - i wouldn't be here. if the word wasn't - if prayer wasn't - if friends weren't - if family weren't etc...

so. what does your FLESH do when somebody drives up beside you with their boom box blastin away? (notice it does not say "what are you going to pray about when they pull up beside you?")

does your flesh say "OH YEEEAAH! get it on! mmhmm!" ??

well... i've had the scenario of boom boxes many time in my short spanned life so far. and i'll tell you this: --- never once have i had ungodly desires when i hear rock music - or hip-hop - or surf - or any kind of music.

how can i say that? because Jesus Christ has saved me from my sin - and i am saved - and souled out for Him.

6. gekko

gekko New Member

you keep on forgetting one vital part of that argument:

ALL music was created by God in heaven
    - THEN it came to the world - the world decided to mess with it - BUT GOD STILL MADE IT - AND MADE IT GOOD.

7. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Show us the Scriptures (chapters and verses) where ALL music was created by God in heaven. --- Tell us where it specifically shows us that God created rock and roll music.

8. gekko

gekko New Member

oh linda linda linda... you need to learn how to read... thoroughly.

here's what i said
    scripture says that God prepared the instruments of music. no? (anybody have the reference?)

9. standingfirminChrist

'You are not a priest of God'

Excuse me? Last time I checked in the scripture, all of God's children were made kings and priests. As a matter of fact, Peter said I am of a royal priesthood. But aside from that, I was called of God to preach the gospel when I was saved in 1979 and after years of study and much prayer, I entered into full time ministry in 1988. I have ordination through the state of Virginia and New Life Tabernacle and also ordination through affiliates in Ohio as well.

I am not prideful as you would surmise, except the fact that my soul, as David's, boasts in the Lord my God.

Judgmental? As I said before, the Bible tells us to judge righteous judgment. Where? John 7:24.

You say I have not produced scripture to show that the rock music is of the devil? Can you show me scripture that it is not of the devil?

You seem to be spending a lot of time defending the world, I would rather warn the world than side up with them and find Christ turning me away on that great Judgment Day.

10. gekko

gekko New Member

Linda - Show us the Scriptures (chapters and verses) Tell us where it specifically shows us that God DIDNT create rock and roll music.

11. gekko

gekko New Member

SFIC... if you're driving down the road - and a pimped out poser ride drives up beside you with the boom box blastin away...

what does your FLESH nature do? im quite curious actually.

12. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

You said ALL music was created by God in heaven--rock and roll music falls under the word ALL--or do you not call rock and roll music now? You are the one who needs to read thoroughly--begin with the Word of God. There are many references to music in the Bible---all one has to do is to look them up in a concordance.

Here are seven principles of "spiritual" music--from Way of Life Encyclopedia of the Bible:

Seven Principles of Spiritual Music

(1) It must be understandable (1Co 14:15).
    (2) It must be under the control of the Holy Spirit (Eph 5:18-19).
    (3) It must be "to the Lord" (Eph 5:19).
    (4) It must be thankful (Eph 5:20).
    (5) It must be in the name of Jesus Christ (Eph 5:20).
    (6) It must be based on the Word of Christ (Col 3:16).
    (7) It must be sung with grace in the heart to the Lord (Col 3:16).

The Origin of Music

Satan is mentioned in connection with musical instruments before his fall (Eze 28:12-14). The mention of "thy tabrets and of thy pipes" in v. 13 is a possible reference to the fact that Satan, as the "anointed cherub" (v. 14), had the ability to produce music for the glory of God prior to his fall.

The angels sang together at the creation (Job 38:7).

Cain's offspring made musical instruments The first mention of music among men is in Ge 4:21. Cain's great-grandson Jubal "was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ." Thus men have made music from the earliest days after creation. God put music in the heart of man, but sin has often corrupted it.

David made many musical instruments and established the music program in Israel (1Ch 23:5; 2Ch 7:6; 29:26; Am 6:5).

13. standingfirminChrist

What would I do?

If you are looking for me to say I give in to the flesh and enjoy such trash, you are barking up the wrong tree. I told you what I would do.

God gives me the grace and the wisdom not to listen to it.

14. gekko

gekko New Member

can you point out any true christian rock that doesn't have that?

there are christian bands that dont have that. i agree - so i dont listen to them.

can you point out any christian hip-hop artists that dont have that?
    can you point out any christian acoustic/surf artists that dont have that?
    etc.

15. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

BTW--SFIC is blind--HE DOESN'T DRIVE--how many times does he have to tell you that?

16. gekko

gekko New Member

oh. im very sorry. i honestly didn't know he was blind. i should read more thoroughly...

how is he responding though? are you reading everything out to him? how does that work?

17. gekko

gekko New Member

do you drive Linda?

if so - i lay the same question on you:

f you're driving down the road - and a pimped out poser ride drives up beside you with the boom box blastin away...

what does your FLESH nature do?

18. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Christian rock? Christian mud... Christian trees... Christian grass... Christian wildlife...:rolleyes:
    Christian rock is an oxymoron--no such thing as rock that's "Christian" no matter how you slice it.

I don't know how many times I have to reiterate --- "Christian" lyrics don't make worldly music "Christian"--- it makes the gospel message worldy and "appealing" to the flesh--and that worldly gospel does not save.

As SFIC said, God gives me the grace and the wisdom not to listen to that trash--therefore "Christian" hip-hop artists, and acoustic/surf artists do not have any of those seven principles of "spiritual" music--NONE of them.

"The Christian with a Scriptural order and balance in his life emphasizes the spiritual first (Mt 6:33), the intellectual or emotional second (2Co 10:5), and the physical last (Ro 13:14). Consider also Pr 3:5-6 and Lu 12:31."
    (Music in the Balance by Frank Garlock and Kurt Woetzel, Copyright 1992, Majesty Music)

19. standingfirminChrist

I would say I have a braille monitor, but that would be lying.

Ever hear of Text-To-Speech software? I have a program called DragonNaturallySpeaking that types all I say for me when my hands are tired. Text to speech will read back what others type.

20. gekko

gekko New Member

LINDA - have you ever heard of just answering the question?
    what's this? --
    ok. can you point out any so called christian rock that doesn't have that?

there are so called christian bands that dont have that. i agree - so i dont listen to them.

can you point out any so called christian hip-hop artists that dont have that?
    can you point out any so called christian acoustic/surf artists that dont have that?
    etc.
    ---

oh cool. i heard about that a super long time ago - i didnt know if they made better versions for it or not. that's neat.