1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What did Jesus do? A Biblical case for using the Law in evangelism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jan 8, 2016.

1. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I meant is that we expose people to their unrighteousness and the Spirit convicts them via the word of God we speak. Here's an example. My wife loves to watch 'Real Housewives of Orange County'. The lead woman, Vicki Gunvalson, has emphatically said many times she was going to heaven when she dies. Yet she curses like a sailor, has been divorced three times, was shacked up with her boyfriend(she cheated on her third husband with this guy) having out of wedlock intercourse with him. And she thinks she's going to heaven. She doesn't consider herself lost. Unless someone exposes these wicked deeds of her unti her via the bible, she will not think she's lost. You expose people's sin to them via the Law. You show them their sinfulness by showing them they sinned against a thrice holy God. Sin is violating God's Law(s).

You preach the gospel, telling people that being outside of Christ, they're lost. They need reconciliation. You can preach the gospel and the Law without quoting the 10 ver batim. Many verses point to those 10 without being word for word. Paul.did that in Athens in Acts 17.

What I mean is He uses us to bring about this work of the Spirit. We are the instruments which the Spirit uses to bring conviction of sin.

Here's the thing...how does any of us know these tears were from conviction? Here's what I mean. Back when Desert Swarm was in full force, I had a sister in Saudi Arabia in a field hospital in the middle of the action. Mom and dad were both lost at this time and went to church one Sunday, and I tagged along, also being lost. At the end of the service, a preacher was preaching and during the sermon(towards the end of it), he mentioned his son being there in Desert Swarm, and mom started crying. It wasn't conviction by the Spirit, but the thought of her daughter and my sister being in harm's way. Now, some may have seen her crying and pounced, trying to 'save' her. So, when we see tears, some times these aren't from conviction, in my opinion.

I'm gonna hafta disagree with you here, Monsieur. I'll leave it there. Love you my Brother.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many reasons.

(1) Any debate about evangelism is good.
    (2) To promote a theology of evangelism based on the Holy Spirit's work and not human attempts at convicting of sin.
    (3) To promote a theology of the true contents of the Gospel.
    (4) To point out that Gentiles have the Law written in their hearts and do not need it quoted to them.
    (5) To show the Biblical mistake of saying that using the law is the "preferred method" of evangelism. The "preferred method is the one that actually gets done.
    (6) Etc., etc.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the regenerate ones do, as do regenerate Jews also. Those Gentiles in Ro 2:13-15 are described as doers of the law and justified.

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that's a pretty good answer. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now, are you give me a 'thumbs up' or pounding me over the head with your fist? I know it's a 'thumbs up', but looks like a fist, too...with a thumb outta place.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I certainly agree with using Scripture about sin so that the Holy Spirit will use it to convict. (Never one time say "Real Housewives...probably never will. O O) Once again, what I am disagreeing with on this thread is that somehow there is special power in quoting the Decalogue in evangelism (though the Word of God always has power). People have the law in their hearts. We don't have to quote it to them to see the Spirit convict them.
    Okay, very good. I agree. But then you are not agreeing with the OP and Evan. and the WOTM method.
    In my experience it is usually pretty easy to tell if tears are from conviction of sin or not. The Holy Spirit gives discernment.

Just this morning we had our "testimony chapel," and one young freshman talked about witnessing to a big, scary guy after work for about 20 min. At one point he said, "I'm never going to ask Jesus to forgive my sins!" Another time in the conversation she said she would be praying for him, and he said, "No, don't do that, I'll read the whole tract if you just don't pray for me!" :D Now that is clear conviction of sins. By the end he had tears of conviction in his eyes.
    Alright, brother, have a great day. :)

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, no no no. Just a thumbs up! Thumbsup

• Like Like x 1
  8. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want to point out a major misconception that JOJ and others have. This misconception can be corrected if people would read the book The Way of the Master cover to cover and look at all the footnotes. But the misconception is that the principle of Law to the Proud and grace for the humble is original with Comfort and this is false. Plenty of books prior to 1989 when Hells best Kept Secret was published taught this principle. So sad that so few will do their homework on this one.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not the way of the master method it's called the Biblical method of evangelism and by the way the 10 commandments and using them in evangelism is not original with Comfort.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please give some quotes from the books you mention to prove this.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So for me to find out if your assertions are Biblical or not I should read a book about evangelism, is that it? In my life and ministry I have gone to the Bible directly, examining every single passage in the Scriptures (OT & NT) to develop my own positions on evangelism. I urge you to do the same.

I have made post after post directly from sources in the Bible on this thread (which you started so that you and I could discuss evangelism), and even though you said you would answer them you never did. Bottom line: I'm depending on the Bible for my view of evangelism, but you are depending on an uninspired book written by a man.

Case closed. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why listen to you? You are a man and your posts are not inspired.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Are you inspired?
    Is Comfort inspired?
    Is the WOTM inspired?

It is the Word of God that is inspired. If JoJ has given an answer from the Word of God that you are unable to refute then it really doesn't matter what Comfort or your other books say. They aren't inspired. Our authority is the Word of God, not Comfort.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    EXACTLY!!!!! Don't listen to me, don't read books about evangelism, read the Bible about it. That's what I've been saying all along!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have given enough scripture and no question Comfort has used enough scripture to persuade me. But as for you WOTM is simply what you do not want to hear so you reject the scripture that is used.

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then stop going to church and hearing sermons.

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a wicked, false charge. You are disobeying the Ten Commandments you claim to love, specifically, "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor." You know good and well that I have not rejected any Scripture whatsoever, but only disagreed with your interpretation. I have been reading and loving the Bible ever since I was a little boy, over 55 years now. I love and cherish every single verse of the blessed and precious Word of God, and read it in two different languages every morning, often doing Bible translation work in a third language in the afternoon.

With this kind of disobedience of the Decalogue, you are in no position to advocate using it in evangelism until you repent of your wicked disobedience of it.

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excuse me?????? It's my opinion on you and why you reject WOTM. You do not agree with the interpretation so the scriptures used you reject.

#378 evangelist6589, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lean in close to the screen. Listen carefully. I want you to get this and get it good.

I do not reject Scripture, and you are breaking the Ten Commandments by bearing false witness when you say I do. That is wicked sin.

I absolutely dare you to show a single place on this thread where I have rejected Scripture. If you can't do that, then my statement stands. You are sinning.

Come on. Do you have the character and guts to back up your charge of Scripture rejection? This is an easy charge to prove. Simply give the post number on this thread where I rejected Scripture.

#379 John of Japan, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a simple misunderstanding JOJ so stop jumping the gun. You reject the WOTM interpretation of scripture which I should have said.