1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What Does Repent Mean?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by InTheLight, Dec 29, 2015.

?
  1. 1. Turn from your sins.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. 2. Feel sorry for your sins.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3. Have a "change of mind" about Jesus.

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. 4. Feel sorry for your sins and turn from your sins.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. 5. Feel sorry for your sins, resolve to quit sinning, and endeavor to live a more upright life.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. 6. Other (explain)

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Elect infants dying in Infancy , mentally defective persons, cannot be saved as far as you are concerned?
    I do not think it is impossible for God. Sorry you do.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

πιστεύω
    pisteuō

From Thayer's
    Thayer Definition:
    1) to think to be true, to be persuaded of, to credit, place confidence in
    1a) of the thing believed
    1a1) to credit, have confidence
    1b) in a moral or religious reference
    1b1) used in the NT of the conviction and trust to which a man is impelled by a certain inner and higher prerogative and law of soul
    1b2) to trust in Jesus or God as able to aid either in obtaining or in doing something: saving faith
    2) to entrust a thing to one, i.e. his fidelity
    2a) to be intrusted with a thing
    Part of Speech: verb

From Strong's
    From G4102; to have faith (in, upon, or with respect to, a person or thing), that is, credit; by implication to entrust (especially one’s spiritual well being to Christ): - believe (-r), commit (to trust), put in trust with.

I have put my faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    I have trusted the Lord Jesus Christ.
    I have put my confidence in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    I believed in the Lord Jesus Christ.

All are the same.
    There is no difference.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes, without the gospel no man can be saved. That is what the word teaches.
    The situations that you bring up are simply red herrings. We put them in God's hands.
    Jesus said: "I am the way the truth and the life; no man comes unto the Father but by me."
    Either He was telling the truth and He is the only way (i.e., the gospel) or He was a fraud and a liar. Which one?

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No red herring. ....real situations..How does that work?

5. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First off let's talk about what it is not:

1. Repentance is not doing penance. Many Catholic Bibles translate “repentance” as “do penance.”

2. Repentance is not reformation or changing one’s life.

Repentance isn't changing your life and giving up sin in order to be saved.

3. Repentance is not mere remorse for wrong actions.

2 Corinthians 7:10 KJV

[10] For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

A lot of people feel bad for the consequences of sin and they feel bad about how they have lived, this is not repentance.

We see this in the Prodigal Son. He was not merely remorseful of how he had lived and of the consequences he had suffered; he came to the place where he acknowledged first and foremost that he had “sinned against heaven” (Lk. 15:18).

The word repent is one Greek word: metanoio

Two Greek root words here

Meta-change of place or condition

Noio-to exercise the mind, to think, to comprehend

The word repent could be defined as change your mind.

there are three areas people must have a change of mind about:

1. Sin must be acknowledged and confessed
    Psalm 51:3 KJV
    [3] For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.

Psalm 51:4 KJV
    [4] Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight:

2. Self must be realized and admitted to be wicked and that my works mean nothing in the eyes of God:
    Rom 3:23, 3:10, Jeremiah 17:9

Hebrews 6:1 KJV

[1] the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Repentance is saying "God I am not good and I can't make myself good, I need you to give me a new heart"

Luke 18:9-14 KJV

[9] And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: [10] Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. [11] The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are , extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. [12] I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. [13] And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. [14] I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Luke 5:30-32 KJV

[30] But their scribes and Pharisees murmured against his disciples, saying, Why do ye eat and drink with publicans and sinners? [31] And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick. [32] I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

3. And lastly the Saviour:
    John 14:6, ACts 4:12, John 3:16

I believe a great example is the Thief on the cross:
    Luke 23:32-33 KJV

[32] And there were also two other, malefactors, led with him to be put to death. [33] And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left.

Luke 23:39-43 KJV

[39] And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us. [40] But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation? [41] And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss. [42] And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. [43] And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

6. BrotherJoseph

BrotherJoseph Well-Known Member

Brother DHK,

In other words you have no answer with your system of doctrine that offers no hope for such as those Brother Icon mentioned can be born again (the aborted, infants dying in infancty, the mentally handicapped who cannot comprehend the spoken word, etc.). If you truly wanted to be consistent with your gospel regeneration position you would just admit all such are dammned to Hell. The only way around it is if you have two different methods of becoming born again, which we probably both agree this would be foreign to the scripture. Incidently, how did John the Baptist have the Holy Ghost from his mother's womb?

#66 BrotherJoseph, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. BrotherJoseph

BrotherJoseph Well-Known Member

He has no answer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Hi Jordan,

That is a nice bit of information that you've given and a list of things that a person can do. What happens when a person does all the things you've listed?

9. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said, there is, but then what I see as a difference, you don't.

And it is a little matter.

Perhaps in my study of trust as compared to faith used as "faithfulness" in the NT, I see the significant difference. Trust was not used as I recall as trustfulness. (is that a word?)

And there is the aspect of compliance, bold confidence, and complete assurance, abandon of all doubt that was not available in the use by Luke of faith, or in other passages of faithfulness. Faith was just a far weaker work. More fitting with the Greek sensibilities of Luke and the early churches of what is now Turkey.

#69 agedman, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Of course I have an answer. But that is not the topic. If he wants to start a topic on infants, and the mentally challenged let him do so. We all know that is a red herring to the preaching of the gospel, and our response to it.
    There are some here that think they go and sit in the middle of the forest without ever having heard the Word of God and somehow, someway God will come and mystically, supernaturally, magically, sprinkle fairy dust upon you like tinker bell did, and you will magically and esoterically be born again. Have you ever heard such nonsense. I never did until I came on this board.
    There is no such thing as regeneration taking place until one has heard the Word of God. Apparently Icon doesn't believe in that. Let him believe in his "magic" instead.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So your man centered error now has you refer to the Spirit's work in regeneration as sprinkling fairy dust on people? Or Magic?.......interesting Redface

12. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, you have to determine to develop a view from what scripture actually says, rather than human reasoning. Scripture never says anything about "children of the elect"

To be quite fair, this "back door" notion from DHK is even worse because it's self-contradictory. If they're born guilty, and God requires faith to be saved, and for whatever reason they can't believe, there is no second way or side entrance.

But you have to dump the notion that they're guilty of something, because scripture never says that. Our body will die because of Adam, but our spirit comes from God.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Not at all. It is the man-made doctrine describing regeneration as a work void of the Word of God that I equate as a myth, a fairy tale, totally unbiblical. It is contrary to the Word of God.
    1Pet.1:23 speaks directly against it. "being born again by the word of God."

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Read the topic of the thread at the top of the page:

Infants and the mentally challenged have nothing to do with this topic.

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Both of you error because you do not take into consideration that salvation is of the Lord .
    God has determined who will be saved and who will be left justly in their sins

• Like Like x 1
  16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well first you have to read my statement correctly the statement I quoted from the confession of faith says elect infants dying in infancy it did not say anything about children of believers
    the question is the group that I mentioned how does God work repentance and faith in those persons who are incapable of any outward profession profession as is the normal mean that God works through the word of God preached

17. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, so why did one of your posts include your thoughts on the matter?

18. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    knowing that Christ, having been raised up out of the dead, doth no more die, death over him hath no more lordship; Rom 6:9 YLT
    'And that He did raise him up out of the dead, no more to return to corruption, Acts 13:34 YLT

Regeneration is, "the word of God". The man above was dead. The man above was given life again, regenerated, from the dead, incorruptible. That is the gospel. 2 Tim 2:8 Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel: 2 Tim 1:10 Darby: but has been made manifest now by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who has annulled death, and brought to light life (eternal R6:9) and incorruptibility (no more to return to corruption A13:34) by the glad tidings; (gospel) Paul's gospel, the gospel of Jesus and the gospel of the Father.

“Therefore being exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He poured out this which you now see and hear. Acts 2:33

Did that in bold actually take place? Did Jesus of the loins of David, actually receive from his Father, God, the one who conceived the virgin Mary, by his Spirit and she brought him forth, give him the promise of the Holy Spirit, after raising him from the dead? Was it Jesus who was regenerated from the dead and renewed with Holy Spirit and then the Spirit was shed forth? Exactly as Acts 2:32,33 states and so also Titus 3:5,6 Raised from the dead, received the Holy Spirit, Spirit shed forth - Regeneration, renewing of Holy Spirit, Spirit shed forth.

The word of God can give life to whosoever God so chooses, because he has given it to his Son who died for man.

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He reserves the right to interject those kind of thoughts on any thread and then when he gets answered and he cannot respond to the answer he calls the answer off topic .
    you can go back and look at most any thread you see how often this thing takes place..

Lol

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

They didn't. The subject was brought up by Icon. I told him it was a red herring. Start another thread if he wants to discuss that topic. I have said consistently that this thread is not for that topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.