What Greek text did Jerome use?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by rlvaughn, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not have and had not read a copy of Houghton's book 8 months ago. I only obtained it a little over one month ago and then had to find time to read it.

2. Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since you sometimes post in defense of the KJV and post some comments negative towards those who disagree with a KJV-only view, quoting KJV-only authors would be answering the question according to the perspective or side you seem to favor. Thus, I was answering the question from what seems to be your perspective while also properly acknowledging that the KJV-only claims are "generalized" and are "claims", thus not facts.

3. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good, and I thank you for that reference. My point in relation to the discussion, however, is that in December 2020 I could not have known that you would provide quotations from a leading authority concerning the Latin New Testament. I could only respond to what you had already posted.
    Yet, an answer to the question in the OP does not depend on my perspective of the KJV. You admit that you view those quotes you gave as "generalized" and "claims". I was hoping/asking for recent, detailed, and/or specific (which Houghton fits quite nicely).

4. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looking at what I can see of Houghton's work on Google Books, I found the following interesting on this topic.

Speaking of differences in Jerome's translation of the Gospels and the Old Latin, Houghton writes, "Some of the differences in Jerome's version derive from the Greek text on which he relied. It has often been observed that the Vulgate moves away from the so-called 'Western' text towards a form closer to the later standard (koine or Byzantine text), although attempts at more detailed classification tend to founder."

This is accompanied by footnote 47, in which he references some other works and then states, "It was once thought that Jerome's Greek text was similar to Codices Sinaiticus and Vaticanus, but this is no longer the case."

The Latin New Testament: A Guide to Its Early History, Texts, and Manuscripts, by H. A. G. Houghton (Oxford University Press, 2016, pp. 33-34)

5. Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Point taken, and I ask your forgiveness for my negative attitude.
    I've no wish to paint anyone on this forum in a bad light, even though we may disagree on some subjects.
    As I've said before,
    I disagree with your position and am content to refrain from addressing you further on it.

What I see is you stating your opinions, emphasizing the observations and claims of various authors with whom you tend to agree, and others on this forum stating theirs...
    No more and no less.

I respect that your views on this subject are the truth as you see it.
    Mine are mine, and I have the same privilege to state them as you do.

That said, I wish you well as always, sir.
    May God bless you.