1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is Drunkeness?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Mikey, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What defines buzzed etc.?
    My friend used to say "I ain't buzzed till I puke and ain't drunk till I pass out."

2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, but Noah and Lot sure got tore up drunk on it.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not while there is good scotch & micro brew & Guiness.

4. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think Jesus turned water into wine because he never wanted anyone to ever be tipsy or buzzed.

Sober had a totally different meaning when KJV was written and it is a poor translation in modern American to many of the passages in my opinion.

If you can drink without getting buzzed, you might have an obesity problem which can be far worse on your health.

Of course some will insist that 2nd Addendums Chapter 3 verse 12 says "Thou shalt not get buzzed."

I tend to disagree with the book of Addendums.

Marty

5. John D. Wright

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the primary verse is says to be controlled by the Holy Spirit and not by drink. There are many proverbs about drink ruining someone's life. So obviously that is bad. Being out of control is bad.

Ephesians 5:18
    And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

There are also a number of other negative references to the drunkard. So when you are affected by your drinking such that you lose control then you are over the line. That line may vary for different people. We should never want to hinder our witness either as christians.

I do think though we should be very careful being overly judgmental. Jesus turned the water into wine at a wedding party. They'd already drank all of the wine on hand. So they probably were not stone cold sober. Jesus drank wine at the last supper and told us to drink wine in remembrance of him.

So on these matters, I think we are best to leave it to the individual unless it is obviously a big problem for them and then we should try in love to help our fellow brother or sister in Christ.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mikey, a few years ago I wrote on How does the Bible define drunkenness? It's somewhat long to paste here, so I've linked it instead.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a bit of personal experience with this subject as a believer...
    If one has a problem with drinking, then don't drink.
    If one can have one drink and walk away without being tipsy, then to me, it's OK.

How do I know this? Because I wasn't always obedient to the Lord. :Frown

The U.S. Navy had a program some years ago to educate their sailors who had....become entangled in the use of alcohol. ;)
    It's acronym was "NADSAP", and its purpose was to shed light on what one ounce of alcohol did to the body.

The effects of alcohol ( how the human body reacts to it ) depend on gender, body weight ( mass ), contents of stomach before alcohol consumption, and several other factors I don't remember. For example, a 90 lb woman gets tipsy on one beer...a 300 lb man can have two or three without really feeling it. That same 90lb woman can eat a full meal and not really feel the effects of one beer, while that 300lb man can eat a full meal and probably drink most of a 6 pack before getting tipsy.

Essentially, one 12 ounce beer at 3.2%, is equal to 1 standard 4-6 ounce glass of 12% wine, is equal to one "shot" of whiskey as a rule of thumb.
    The average human body takes roughly an hour to process one standard ounce of alcohol...from stomach into the blood stream and back out into the sweat glands and other methods of disposing of toxins ( because alcohol is a mild poison ).

Alcohol impairment is a function of BAC, or Blood Alcohol Content, and how much alcohol is in the blood is what makes a person "drunk", as it deadens the senses and judgment in its effects on the brain. There's a lot of science behind it, and it is reasonably repeatable in its observations. Basically put, if alcohol never hit the brain, it wouldn't be a problem.

Recommendations:

If one has a drink, always have that drink on a full stomach, not an empty one. This slows the body's absorption of alcohol, because it has to be processed along with all the other things in the "tummy". So, having a glass of wine with a meal constitutes a very small risk, while having a glass on an empty stomach is a sure-fire way to get that alcohol straight to the head.

There's something else to think about when having a drink...your spiritually younger brothers and sisters in the Lord who are watching you:

To avoid the appearance of evil, then to me, it's best not to have any.:)

8. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deuteronomy 14:22-26
    22You shall surely tithe all the produce from what you sow, which comes out of the field every year. 23 You shall eat in the presence of the Lord your God, at the place where He chooses to establish His name, the tithe of your grain, your new wine, your oil, and the firstborn of your herd and your flock, so that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always. 24 If the distance is so great for you that you are not able to bring the tithe, since the place where the Lord your God chooses to set His name is too far away from you when the Lord your God blesses you, 25 then you shall exchange it for money, and bind the money in your hand and go to the place which the Lord your God chooses. 26 You may spend the money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen, or sheep, or wine, or strong drink, or whatever your heart desires; and there you shall eat in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe you may have some insightful thoughts on this topic. We should meet up at pub or saloon and discuss this further.
    :Laugh

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only if your buying.:Biggrin

• Like Like x 1
  11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, OT.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

13. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anything that takes you out of your normal state of mind for the purpose of pleasure/happiness.

Drugs, moonshine, any addiction, etc = Drunkenness