What is Faith, so often I hear it defined in gibberish.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Charles Perkins, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    pistis

Part of Speech

feminine noun

The KJV translates Strong's G4102 in the following manner: faith (239x), assurance (1x), believe (with G1537) (1x), belief (1x), them that believe (1x), fidelity (1x).

Outline of Biblical Usage [?]

I. conviction of the truth of anything, belief; in the NT of a conviction or belief respecting man's relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervour born of faith and joined with it

A. relating to God

i. the conviction that God exists and is the creator and ruler of all things, the provider and bestower of eternal salvation through Christ

B. relating to Christ

. a strong and welcome conviction or belief that Jesus is the Messiah, through whom we obtain eternal salvation in the kingdom of God

C. the religious beliefs of Christians

D. belief with the predominate idea of trust (or confidence) whether in God or in Christ, springing from faith in the same

II. fidelity, faithfulness

. the character of one who can be relied on

pisteuō

Part of Speech

Verb

The KJV translates Strong's G4100 in the following manner: believe (239x), commit unto (4x), commit to (one's) trust (1x), be committed unto (1x), be put in trust with (1x), be commit to one's trust (1x), believer (1x).

Outline of Biblical Usage [?]

I. to think to be true, to be persuaded of, to credit, place confidence in

A. of the thing believed

i. to credit, have confidence

B. in a moral or religious reference

. used in the NT of the conviction and trust to which a man is impelled by a certain inner and higher prerogative and law of soul

2. atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a story about an aerialist that rode a unicycle across a tightrope between two skyscrapers. As he was walking through the crowd at the top of one of the buildings and preparing to cross, a man shouted out that he had faith in the famous aerialist. The aerialist then invited the man to climb on his back and ride with him between the buildings. The man declined.

Faith is not believing that Jesus can ride a unicycle across a tightrope between two buildings. Faith is believing it enough to be willing to climb on His back and ride across based on complete trust in Him.

That sort of FAITH in God does not come from deep within men, it comes from the Spirit of God living deep within us.

Just my 2 cents.

3. Charles Perkins Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Absolutely this is a good example of what faith is and is not. To say we have faith is not enough and it doesn't reveal to others and can deceive even ourselves, that faith even exists. Acting on faith we show our trust in God. There are many situations that we can know the will of God and can rest sure that God will do as he says as a faithful God. God rarely promises the when or how he will perform, just that he is faithful.

4. Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think when we consider God and his word , just like Abraham , its not difficult to believe him . Like when Jesus actually marvels at their unbelief. But of course some hold the truth in unrighteousness and refuse to believe the truth so as to be saved. And God is pleased to save those that believe.

5. Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Holy Spirit is given After belief not before. Eph 1.13-14
    13¶In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

14Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

6. Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ' saving faith ' is not a term found in the bible.

7. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That's okay. None of your "theology" is found in the bible.

8. Charles Perkins Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The English language uses the word believe in a different way than the Bible does. Many who say the words believe and hope really mean "want to" and "wish to." Are you saying then that we naturally can believe in God while in the world? Is this belief that you are describing in God's existence alone or in the character of God?

Also please explain 1 Corinthians 2:9-14

9. Charles Perkins Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So is it your belief that mankind can come to God on there own at anytime they choose? That the world is willingly blind and deaf. We just need to of our own accord stop, smell the roses and we will see God and know that we have need of him?

10. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith, that is, belief, without which one cannot know anything.

11. kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that I still don't understand some critical context well enough to tackle the topic of faith yet. I know I am getting closer to faith by not studying the topic and by not discussing it with the people that I did in the past, as I was losing what I believed was faith.

I know that the other children have taught me some things that don't come from our father, even if I don't fully understand what the father did say. I know what faith is NOT, more than I know what it is.

Young children don't understand time. They do not understand that Mommy was alive before they were alive. Some will scream and deny that Mommy was ever a little girl. Others were parrot back that Mommy was a little girl, but have no concept of how that is possible and what that means.

I'm still too little to understand some things. I am focusing on what I do understand and trust I will grow into those other things in time.

I don't know much about this thing called faith, but I have learned to trust God beyond the things that I can understand. I have learned that it is not a sin to wait to understand.

12. Charles Perkins Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks for your contribution to the discussion. God works with all of us differently giving us different gifts. Faith is a gift of God's grace which you probably know quite well. We can ask God for more faith and even a little faith can move mountains. The parable of the talents Matthew 25:14-30 is something to consider. God gave different talents to these individuals. As long as we exercise the faith God gives us we can grow and bear fruit increasing the talent God gives us. What we don't want to do is to bury the talent or gift that we have received.

Faith can grow it must be exercised though 1 Timothy 4:8.

13. atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Irrelevant. FAITH is part of the Christian Life from Justification through Glorification and the Holy Spirit begins His work even before Justification. So my statement that Faith is from God and the Holy Spirit stands. [verses available upon request]

14. atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But “dead faith” is ... and he was not speaking of a dead faith, but the opposite ... a faith that CAN save you.

15. Charles Perkins Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  16. kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This the primary thing that has my attention, now, and it is what originally caught my attention as a 10 year old child. I saw lives transformed.

17. kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seeing transformed lives is like seeing the effects of the wind. You do not need to know the science of wind to know it is real and powerful.

18. Charles Perkins Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, sometimes it's a case of taking the time to smell the roses. These are harder times with the Covid scare, but when we can gather together again and meet fellow Christians it is helpful to let the Spirit show you the faith and love at work around us. It is a wonderful thing to know that God is at work.

In a way it is like developing the artistic eye. Really seeing the color variations around you, the natural highlights were light hits, the shading were light does not fall, the illusion of perspective and other subtleties we find in the world around us. Only through spiritual eyesight and the taking of time to truly see can we see the evidence of God at work.

God is with us all.

19. Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since I've been on here I've yet to see a calvinist use context. Not once , which is quite remarkable.

20. Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's nothing in the entire bible that says man cannot respond positively to the gospel. As calvinists do not know their bibles, they fail to see this. 1 corinthians 2 is talking about believers unable to understand the deeper mature wisdom that is spoken amoung the mature ( v 6 )