1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is Lordship Salvation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Herald, May 23, 2012.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: Exactly!! No repentance=no salvation.

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two items.

First, I have seen some highly regarded posters who say, "progressive sanctification" is taught throughout the NT.

Yet, NOT ONE verse that has the word referring to a progression that is applied to sanctification.

I consider many who are using the term (progressive sanctification) actually are misapplying the word (sanctify, sanctification, sanctified...) to how it is NOT used, but referring to a believer maturing by the work of the Holy Spirit and growth in understanding of the Word.

I point again to the tabernacle and all that pertained to it.

There was no modification, upgrading... but a confirming, statement, declaration, title, that the tabernacle/temple and all that pertained were sanctified. WE are the "temple" of the Holy Spirit. There is no "partial sanctification" no "progressive sanctification." One is either "holy" or not. One is not half born and has to self progress to the rest.

I have in more than one post encouraged the "progressive sanctification" holders to give in context a place were "sanctify" or any of the forms (sanctification, sanctifying,...) was used by the Scriptures to show "progress." At this time NONE has been offered.

A few offered have NOT been sanctification, but the maturing of the believer.

If I am wrong, PLEASE, show by Scriptures, or make the change in your own views.

As a result of the "progressive sanctification" view, there is also a problem with desiring to "mix" some human element into salvation; which brings this post to the second item.

Second, ANYTHING (even repentance) that is "conditioned" as what saves, is NOT Scriptural.

True repentance that is Godly is a result of having already been awakened by the Holy Spirit and the Scriptures to the need to repent. If the Holy Spirit and Scriptural authority are not present - the repentance is worldly and leads to death.

Repentance is the pouring out of the results of the work, not the initiator of the work.

If one conditions repentance as a "must" for salvation, that is man work and is NOT Scriptural.

Will Godly repentance take place in the heart and life of a believer? Of course.

Will worldly repentance take place in the heart of an unbeliever? Of course.

Repentance is NOT the key to salvation; BELIEF is.

Belief does not come by the will of a person, but by the ability given by God, by God's faith implanted into the person by the Holy Spirit and Word.

"All who hear my voice WILL come."

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If the heart is always surrendered, why the need for progressive salvation, or overcoming battles? A continuously surrendered heart has no battles to overcome. A continuously surrendered heart is sinless.
    I John 1:8,10 has some harsh things to say about that position.

Regarding repentance:
    When Don asked you, in post #40 every Scripture that you answered him with was taken either from the gospels (pre-cross), or from the Book Acts (an historical account, a book in transition). Not one was taken from the doctrinal books of the epistles, even though Romans is a treatise on the the theme of soteriology. Why would that be? The gospel is clearly and succinctly set forth also in 1Cor.15:1-4; that also was ignored. Isn't it odd that those books that teach doctrine were ignored, while those books which emphasize history were used?

Repentance is needed to be saved. But perhaps you have a wrong definition of repentance. I will use the example of the Philippian jailer to demonstrate. When he asked "What must I do to be saved?" Paul simply answered, "Believe (have faith) in the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved." He did not say repent.

When Saul of Tarsus came to the Lord, he believed, but didn't repent (according to the account).

Why? What happens when a person "believes" on the Lord Jesus Christ?
    When Saul believed he immediately changed. He changed his attitude toward God. No longer was he the enemy of God persecuting Christians. He put away the letters that gave him authority to persecute Christians, submitted to God's authority, went to Annanias, was baptized and began to preach. That is what happens when a person believes on Christ as Lord. Christ becomes Lord. He becomes the object of his faith. If Christ is the object of his faith then whatever else was the object of his faith before that time must be discarded and Christ must be set on the throne of his heart. That is what faith in Christ does.

That is also what repentance is. It is the flip side of faith. The two are the opposite sides of the same coin. Repentance is a change of attitude with respect to God. Immediately Saul had a change of attitude toward Christ. He said, "Lord what would you have me to do?" He would never had previously called Christ Lord. Now his attitude had changed from rebellious to submission; from persecution to obedience. The definition is the same as faith, or at least the outcome is. They both produce the same result.
    One cannot believe in Christ without repenting. They go hand in hand.

To ask if I believe in repentance, or if repentance is necessary for salvation is redundant. A person repents as soon as they put their faith in Christ.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

5. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The answer is yes and no.

Yes, I believe therefore I am saved.

No, a believer cannot "remain(ing) in rebellion against God's authority over them."

I would observe that some seem to mix repentance as a condition of salvation. When it is not.

There is no other name by which one is saved other than Christ Jesus and that name doesn't include Repentance.

Will a believer repent? Yes.

Do all believers repent? Yes.

Is repentance a "key" to salvation? No. For then it mixes some work of man; the devil will use that as a wedge of distraction from the truth. This is why some of the IFBers and WoF folks are "saved" over and over again. They didn't "perform" or were not "sorry enough" or didn't "repent fully" or...

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Repentance is not "being sorry."
    Judas was sorry, and went out and hung himself. Being sorry doesn't accomplish anything when it comes to salvation.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes but no. I am not even sure what all that means. The bottom line is that the bible calls for repentance along with faith to be saved. Acts 20:21
    Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I agree that being sorry is not repentance. However having Godly sorrow does lead to repentance which in turn leads to faith and salvation.

10. McWilliams

McWilliams New Member

Believers come to understnd the Ordo Salutis, or order of salvation.
    They are at first elected in eternity past, then in time they are regenerated and God declares them Justified. Justification occurs one time and is for life. The believer is progressively sanctified as he learns and grows in the image of Christ. Repentance is granted to the believer by God as declared in 2 Tim 2:25 and Acts 11:18. In his book Holiness the wonderful author J.C. Ryle states that we are commanded to grow and if we dont grow the chariot wheels of our soul will run heavy! To just read this book is to challenge oneself to holiness and increase your desire to be more in the image of Christ! Soli deo gloria!!

11. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I explained exactly why the answers were yes and no.

Maybe it is that you would rather claim some lack of understanding along with the thought that Acts 20:21 presents a mixture of items (one of them human effort) to be saved; you are using proof texting and not presenting the truth about salvation.

There is nothing a person "must do" to be saved. Paul made the answer extremely clear to the jailer just as Christ had made it clear to him on the road to Damascus. Belief is not human generated faith, but the results of the completed work of the Holy Spirit and Word.

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Well then everyone on planet earth is saved if we do not have to do anything. Faith/repentance is what we have to do. We exercised a choice to repent and come to faith. If we did not have to then there is no reason to tell us to do it in the bible.

14. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is NO Scriptural proof for progressive sanctification that I have found in the Bible.

If you think there is address it in the new thread on the topic, "progress or no progress.

Prove there is progressive sanctification before assuming you can include it.

I am not stating there is no maturing in the faith; such is right and good for the believer. That is NOT sanctification, and the progressive sanctification view is a misapplication of the term sanctification.

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Try sharing that with the next person you want to lead to Christ. I will stick to repentance toward God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as does the bible.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Another passage you take out of its context, and apparently don't understand. The passage is speaking about believers, and a believer's repentance from his sin--probably the believer in 1Cor.5:1-5. He had repented and now the problem being addressed was the church's reluctance to take the repentant believer back into the church, for his sin was grievous.
    It was Godly sorrow. The unsaved does not have godly sorrow. This man's godly sorrow led him to repentance over the sin he had committed. The NT does not teach repentance of sins for salvation. That is an OT concept. It teaches a repentance toward God (when speaking of salvation). After salvation believers are to repent of individual sins and confess them to God, as this man did.

17. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, you extrapolate to a conclusion that was not implied by my post.

The RESULTS of salvation by of the work of the Holy Spirit and Word is a person who expresses belief, repentance, acceptance, ...

These items do not of themselves have authority and power to bring anything to the unregenerate outside the authority of the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit.

They cannot be expressed by the unregenerate unto any saving condition. Those verses have already been posted and discussed in the thread and shown of no saving value to the unregenerate.

To the regenerate, the items are indispensable.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

19. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am at a loss. I heard some bad things about this board before I joined, but I did not believe it, but now I see it. I have never heard any Baptist preacher suggest that a person does not have to repent to be saved. I may need to leave this board. I need to pray. I just cannot believe this. My heart is sad.

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

What ever that means. Repentance and faith are required on the part of the person to be saved and we can choose to exercise them or not.