1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is Lordship Salvation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Herald, May 23, 2012.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A very good presentation of that verse. One of the best I have read!

Where some would also contend is that the faith is not human generated, but that which God implants as part of the quickening (new nature) imparting of one that will be/ is already saved.

In that view then, it is of no human condition nor of any human generated faith but totally resting upon the great unmerited favor of God.

Some would dispute that source of faith, but it might be off topic to have it discussed in this thread.

4. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Not so, my friend.

Heb 10:14 For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.

You are making the mistake of confusing sanctification with Justification. We are being "sanctified" (made Holy), while at the same time we have already been declared perfect (justified).

5. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

In a nutshell...

Its a synonym for "legalism"

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Eph 2:8,9
    For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:

Notice it is not by faith we are saved. It is not faith alone. It is grace alone when the person comes to repentance towards God ands faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. it is impossible to have faith without repentance. Lordship salvation teaches the biblical call to salvation while easy believism teaches no repentance is needed.
    Fiath is a work, but it is grace that saves.

#67 freeatlast, May 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2012
  8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Havensdad picks out one of the strongest texts in all of scripture ,if correctly understood:thumbs:

As salvation is all of God...so is sanctification

10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.

7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.

8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.

9 Use hospitality one to another without grudging.

10 As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.

11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:

13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Or some refer to it as the nornal christian life.:thumbs:

10. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So slyly the "being" is placed into the verse you quoted.

But it is NOT in the text.

The actual verse states "For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those what are sanctified."

There is no "being" in the original writing.

See for yourself:
    Heb 10:14 For <gar> by one <mia> offering <prosphora> he hath perfected <teleioo> for <eis> ever <dienekes> them that are sanctified <hagiazo> ​

Do you see "hagiazo" it is not "being sanctified" but "are sanctified."

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I am sorry to have to use such a strong word, but I believe even your Calvinistic brethren would agree with me:

To say that faith is a work, is heresy.

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The bible teaches it is a work.
    1Thess 1:3
    Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;

2Thess 1:11
    Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of [this] calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of [his] goodness, and the work of faith with power:

What do you say it is if not a work?

13. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Had he actually looked, he would have to acknowledge that "being sanctified" is not the appropriate translation.

It is "are sanctified."

Because as your post states it is "All of God" then it is not of man's ability and maturity in the Word and Holy Spirit as some progressive sanctification folks would desire.

God does not "sanctify" in part or in degrees.

One is either "sanctified" or they are not.

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Faith produces work.
    Love produces labour.
    Hope produces patience.

The object of our faith is Christ, not work.
    The outcome of faith is work.

Faith is never a work. It cannot be measured.
    If it is a work, will you pay me for my faith? Can I work for you for my "faith" that I DO? How do you measure "faith"? Faith is not a work to be quantified.

16. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it doesn't. The faith being that of the Father and not man generated is what Scriptures teach.
    Is it your faith that moves the mountains of living, or the work of the Father's faith in the believer in which the Holy Spirit exercises such an ability? Neither moral nor mortal man generated faith is not saving faith.

This is a verse that illustrates the point of the faith being that of God.

For it is His goodness and (his) work of faith with power as the next verse states is to the glory of Christ. He is Glorified, and in Him we are in turn glorified.

"That the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and ye in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ."

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Can a person have faith without works?

18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Hebrews 11
    By faith Abel offered unto God
    That is a a work.
    By faith Enoch was translated
    That is a work
    By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark
    That is a work.
    By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed
    That is a work
    Faith is not faith unless there is action. Faith is a work, but works do not save. We are saved by grace, not faith. Eph 2:8,9

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Backsliding is found in three Ot books and is used 17 times.In 14 of its usages ..it is clearly rebellion and apostasy being spoken of.It is not used of a believer drifting in and out of sin.It is used of an outright apostate.:type:

Remember in the Ot the covenant was breakable.

#79 Iconoclast, May 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2012
  20. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

As I stated in a related post on another thread sometime ago, can any mortal man's faith achieve any of Hebrews 11?

That is a rhetorical question, freeatlast, in which the answer is no.

Enoch did not have moral or mortal faith that would allow translation, that was the work of God and God's faith.
    Noah did not have the moral or mortal faith to prepare the ark, that was God and God's faith.
    And so it goes through the rest of Hebrews.

No one is stating that true faith from God does not work. It cannot help but work, but moral and mortal humankind faith are failures at both work and salvation.

I think a good verse to remember in this thread is found in Philippians 2:
    "12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
    13 For it is God which works in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure."