What is the role of women in the Church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by following-Him, Feb 27, 2012.

1. DaChaser1 New Member

Do yuo mean the scholars who happen to thinlk we need to "update" the Apsotle to accomodate current thinking?

2. nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just to be accurate--there are some extremely fundamentalist right leaning holiness evangelicals that believe the Bible is abundantly clear that there were women leading churches and preaching in NT times, and that they may today.

Obviously both sides cannot be correct--yet both sides claim to "say only what the Bible says."

At some point we have to admit--both sides--that we are doing a fair amount of interpreting.

Annsi--I don't think you get my posts about the children. The determination that only men can be pastors and that pastors hold some sort of "pastoral authority" has so run amok in two churches in our area that unless a male, ordained pastor, led you to the Lord you aren't considered truly saved.

How whack is that?

Sometimes we fail to consider the long run ramifications of what we espouse.

3. Michael Wrenn New Member

That's what I've bee pointing out to those who falsely try to cast this as a liberal-conservative issue. But it's easier to try to deflect and ignore something by throwing the liberal/heretic/apostate label at it.

4. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The scripture is quite clear...You do not agree...so you went and made up your own "church". You have stated that you do not believe all scripture is of God. It should not be a surprise if some look at what you post with questions.
    Why would this surprise you?:wavey:

5. Michael Wrenn New Member

And you are a habitual liar.

6. gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It never ceases to amaze me at how those who claim that the scripture is always quite clear have never read their Bible where it makes a claim of quite the opposite in 2 Peter 3:14-16.

7. DaChaser1 New Member

ONE final time...

Please give those of us NOT seeing God allowing for women to be placed in area of pastor/elder leadership in local church...

At least ONE verse to support that He does!

8. DaChaser1 New Member

No, its more that some here tend to disregard clear teaching/position of the Bible as regarding this topic!

9. Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I've repeatedly asked honestly and in good faith for the same thing in another thread.

None has been forthcomming.

My conclusion is that no such passage exists.

If my conclusion is correct, it would seem the qualifications for female pastors is extrabiblical.

If it's extrabiblical, it must be man made.

Dangerous to hold to such a faith.

10. nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Extra biblical?

Only if you toss out Phoebe the deacon, Junia the apostle, don't have Jesus commissioning women to carry the gospel, etc.

If we want to split hairs that fine, before denouncing as heretics all in the Assembly of God, Church of the Nazarene, and other holiness groups, we need to fire all the Baptist male preachers who are not married, remarried widowers, or whose children (grown included) do not follow the Lord.

Until we do that, we are extrabiblical ourselves.

11. revmwc Well-Known Member

Romans 16:7
    Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellow-prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

Doesn't say Junia was an apostle, but was of note among the Apostles. There were only and can only be 12 Apostles so Junia definitely wasn't an Apostle. Yes I exclude Mathhias because he was chosen of men not of God, Jesus Chose Paul to replace Judas on the road to Damascus that day.

Phobe of course was a servant just as are we all, but Paul said to help her in her work.

12. DaChaser1 New Member

i do NOT hold to christians who hold to ordained women as pastors as being heretics, but do see them basing their position NOT on the Bible, but on what they feel should be done, thinking that not ordaining women somehow bigoted/sexist towards them!

13. Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Last I checked, they were not pastors.

14. revmwc Well-Known Member

Nothing tells us they taught men or had authority over men either. They could very esily have been leaders of women, not much is known of them. The greek for deacon also translaates servant and deacons are servants in the original position laid out.

15. revmwc Well-Known Member

Here is the straight english from Greek on both Romans 16:1 and Romans 16:7.

Romans 16:1 I-AM-TOGETHER-STANDING YET to-YOU PHOEBE THE sister OS-US BEING THRU-SERVitor OF-THE OUT-CALLED OF THE IN CENCHREA.

I-am-commending to-ye PHOEBE the sister of us being servant of the ecclesia the in Cenchrea
    Notice it says of Phoebe is a THRU-SERVitor or Servant. Of the CALLED OUT that is the Church.

Romans 16:7 greet-YE Andronicus (MAN-CONQUERER) AND JUNIA THE TOGETHER-generateds OF-ME AND TOGETHER-captives OF-ME WHO-ANY ARE ON-SIGN-ones IN THE commissioners WHO AND BEFORE ME HAVE-BECOME IN ANNOITED
    Greet-ye Andronucus AND Junias relatives fellow-captives who-any notable amoung apostles also Christ

Notice the "s" on Junias which means possibly Junias was a male, the "s" added making it a masculine noun not a feminine noun. Although the greek is ionian some translater add an "s" to make it masculine and there are questions as to wheterh it is a msculine or feminine noun. The biggest thing here says they were notable amoung the apostles not that they were apostles. were saved or annointed by the Holy spirit as Believers before PAul.

Neither of these versuses show them as having authority over men nor as an apostle or deacon. Phoebe was a servant of the Church in Cenchhrea. But that they were recognized by all of that period as being servants is clear.

16. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What article/book are you getting that from?

17. revmwc Well-Known Member

The one I posted is the interlinear greek bible with a straight translation from Greek to English. It is the greatest resource one can have.

18. Alive in Christ New Member

Nodak...

They cant see the truth Nodak. They have self-blinded themselves to those, and other scriptures.

These dear ones are so confused and out of touch regarding this issue. Its a really sad situation.

19. Michael Wrenn New Member

It's pointless to have a discussion with legalists. Of course they are selective legalists -- they don't require their women to wear head coverings, and wear their hair long.

20. Alive in Christ New Member

Nodak...

Excellant! Tremendous!

Yet I can guarantee you that 95% of these dear ones reading, men and women both, will be blinded to the message because of the indoctrination they have willfully accepted.

They will say silly things in response, and yet they will be unable recognise the sillyness.

And it is all so sad.