1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Is Wrong With Small Groups?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Dec 3, 2007.

1. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Yeah, where else can you go eat for free almost every night of the week? Not only talking about vittles either. Spiritual food is the best!

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'll give you one BIG benefit to a small group meeting in a home as opposed to a Sunday School class - the loss of the title of "church" in inviting someone. Here are 2 examples:

1) There was a woman at our grocery store who worked in the meat department that a friend of mine struck up a friendship with. She invited her to church numerous times but the woman didn't want to go. She then invited her to the small group that was going to meet in her own home - no pressure - just 10 people coming over from her church to do what we do - worship, pray, discuss. The woman began coming to the small group because it wasn't "church" and less intimidating to her. She was able to experience TRUE Christianity in everyone at the small group who were able to be genuine with her in a different venue than church. She's now attending our church and growing in the Lord, having come to Him in one of the home meetings.

2) A woman attended our church who's husband was not saved. He wouldn't set foot in church because of some bad experiences as a young man so he had no way to know what this church was like (wife kept saying "It's not like that honey, it's different" but he wouldn't believe her). So she joined a small group and it was finally time to have group at her house. Her husband left for that night. The next time it was at their house, he stayed to meet people then went into the other room to watch TV. The third time it was at her house (understand that this is about 6 weeks between times that it's at her home), the husband sat in on part of the meeting - and even contributed to the discussion a bit. It was found out that the DH was a guitar player and so they asked him if he could play guitar for them for the worship time rather than listening to CDs and he said sure. He took the CD, learned the songs and began to go to the small group so he could play the guitar. Fast forward 12 years now....this man came to the Lord, grew in the Lord, became a deacon and is now attending seminary. He's had a tremendous change in his life and he wants to work for the Lord! WOW!! He says over and over that he wouldn't have ever set foot in church if it was not for the love displayed by those in that small group 13 years ago.

Right now, in our small group, we have one husband who is not saved. We're praying and he will attend the group when we have it at his house. He's asked some great questions, he's gotten friendly with the other men and someday, who knows! Through this little ministry, this man might just give his heart to the Lord. In my experience, small groups have a GREAT place in life of the church - DIFFERENT than Sunday School. To me, it's like comparing Sunday School and the service - different purposes altogether.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Why didn't the early believers just meet in the Temple courts and forget about homes altogether, if there were no benefits to small grouping? (Acts 2:46) They had the option. But they utilized both.

#83 TCGreek, Dec 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2007
  4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

It's amazing how the Lord works!

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You have hit on one of the most important benefits. Good job.

6. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Acts 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, According to the passage you sited they "continued in the temple" and ate in the homes. This does not support small groups in the homes. (Not that I am against it)

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

They continued in worshipping at the Temple...and...broke bread from "house to house". How does this NOT support small groups? Remember how many people were added to the church initially (5000+). I doubt they all could fit into one house :laugh:

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

It doesn't have to support SGs in homes---it is SGs in homes---this is so painfully obvious, even Stevie Wonder can see it.

9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs: I like that, brother !!

10. 2 Timothy2:1-4

The only thing that scripture says they did was to eat in the homes. To add that they did anything else together in these homes other than eat is eisegesis.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What's eisegesis about...

...with gladness and singleness of heart,

Was the "singleness of heart" only hunger...or did this gladness and singleness of heart stem from something else? Hardly eisegesis...

12. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Singleness of heart speaks to unity and doesn not speak to the study of scripture.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Now who's eisegeting? ;)

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Then you need to read Acts 12 where a praying gather was conducted at John Mark's mother's home.

15. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Great break it down for me and correct my eisegesis. How does singleness of heart tell us that there was study of scripture?

16. 2 Timothy2:1-4

First of all I was speaking to the Acts 2:46 passage. And a meeting for prayer in a home does not support some mandate of small groups in the home setting.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your eisegesis was in your implication that they were not doing this. Do you study and pray with other believers? You don't consider this sharing in the same heart Christ has given us?

18. 2 Timothy2:1-4

So let me get this straight. You are saying the the phrase "singleness of heart" tells us that they were doing all the things you believe a small group should be doing ie. scripture study, praying etc?

#98 2 Timothy2:1-4, Dec 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2007
  19. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

wow...10 pages in a few hours...wow

for what it's worth, I lead the small group ministry at the church where I get to serve. Small groups, when done effectively and practically, are the backbone of a healthy church.

Anyone who opposes them must have purely methdological issues for they are expressly New Testament from my perspective.

I love our small groups and group leaders, we like to say we are big in small ways. The only way to maintain a healthy church after you reach a larger size is to have effective groups ministry. :)

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you need to read verse 12:
    many were gathered together praying

How does "many" equal a "small group"?