1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Is Wrong With Small Groups?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Dec 3, 2007.

1. dan e.

dan e. New Member

oh my goodness....this is getting pathetic. Are people really that opposed to small groups? What, are you afraid nobody will gather in silence to hear your lectures anymore!?

Why don't we break it down further, and let's debate the word "were" in the phrase "were gathered". I think we can solve the problem then, if not, we can continue to break down the word into its letters "w e r e"...blah blah blah.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

AMEN!!! It's so true. In a larger church, it's so easy to get lost but in a small group, there's still the ministry to each other in a way that you just can't get in a larger setting.

3. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Apparrantly you don't need it as long as you have the glorious lectures of the master teachers.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

How much is many, my friend? And what size should a SG be?

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

As you would notice, Acts 2:42-47 is a summary text of what the early believers engaged in---they met to share a common meal and of course to pray and share the Word.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How many were in Jesus' "small group"? ;)

To me, that's the max number, but I've seen them with 4 member.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Isn't that what one heart and one accord entails, or am I missing something :confused:

8. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Someone forgot to tell you people that anytime there is a change in a Baptist church..... it is next to blasphemy! Even if that change is reverting back to an earlier time when the church may have been the correct example. :praying:

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Here are some texts that you might want to consider:

"Give my greetings to the brothers at Laodicea, and to Nympha and the church in her house" (Col 4:15).

"To Philemon our dear friend and fellow worker, to Apphia our sister, to Archippus our fellow soldier and to the church that meets in your home:" Philemon 1, 2)

2. Now, here are two houses churches in Colossae. Do you suppose that there were more such gathering in Colossae? Of course, there were more.

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Tell me! SGs reflect more the biblical model than SS. Is that blasphemous?

11. reformedbeliever

No brother....... I hope you detected sarcasm in my previous post. :)

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

RB,

I hope you understand that I'm not taking a shot at you---rather, I am echoing the same. :thumbs:

13. reformedbeliever

Ok, I didn't think so..... but wanted to make sure. Sometimes sarcasm is hard to recognize in this electronic medium. To be shot by another Calvinist would be horrible...... dying of friendly fire. :laugh:

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

RB,

How can I do such a thing, when I need you in my corner! :laugh:

15. Allan

Allan Active Member

Remember web, they were suggestions but they were suggestions that stemmed from churches who were almost torn apart or nearly ruined because of small Groups. So there is a balance to know what to expect and judge what is needful.

Not true at all brother! In fact in every case (church that is) where it is done there is a greater trust in their SG leader and the Pastor in them as well. Do most do this, I'm not sure, but those I know who do have had great responces for it. But again, they are only suggestions.

Then someone didn't understand that small groups (or cell groups) are 'voluntarily' joined. The SG leaders and Pastor encourage the mixing up of the groups, you do not 'assign' people to groups. This helps keep cliques and the 'our 4 and no more' groups from forming so easily.

#115 Allan, Dec 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2007
  16. Allan

Allan Active Member

:laugh: That is not what I meant. :laugh:

Don't let your small groups BECOME church, was about not letting the people think that this gathering for bible discussion is now our church. Small groups are people OF a church body getting together in more personal groups to better meet the individuals needs (in all manner of areas)

But I know some where the SM leader was held to have more authority than their own pastor and some of the group began not attending church anymore but called the SG their new church.

17. Joe

Joe New Member

Alan, I have a question about this, if it's ok. Do you know....doesn't the bible say where three or more christians are gathered in my name it is a church? So they are technically not doing anything wrong per se, because it could be considered a church?

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That verse is in regards to church discipline, not becoming a church.

19. Joe

Joe New Member

I know about Matthew 18, but I thought it was in regards to the early church for some reason

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

from my expereince they turn into cliques, who chose who to exclude. games which I refuse to play.