1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is your stance on abortion? Which statement best fits your belief?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by BigBossman, Feb 6, 2009.

?
  1. Abortion should be outlawed completely 100%. No exceptions.

43.6%
  2. Abortion should be made illegal except in the case of rape.

2.6%
  3. Abortion should be made illegal except when the mother may not live through giving birth.

38.5%
  4. Abortion should be illegal, except in the case of rape & if the mother's life is at stake.

10.3%
  5. Abortion is okay as long it is done in the early stages of pregnancy.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. The mother should have the right to choose whether or not to terminate her preganancy.

5.1%
  1. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

With that bit of information, knowing that at any stage of pregnancy a mother may indeed claim harm to herself, I'd say that it is an heroic endeavor to carry the pregnancy to term. And a heroin would not consider her life over her child. Abortion should be illegal for any reason.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What about an ectopic pregnancy? Baby has zero chance of survival - mom has a good chance of dying if the child is not removed in some way. Would this be illegal to deal with too?

3. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

That would be a no brainer, do the procedure. I know that there is a famine of commonsense these days but it would be the logical thing to do.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

However, there is atleast one poster here on BB who says that he would not have the surgery to save his wife. If God wanted her to be saved, then she'd survive the ectopic. If not, then she'd die. So common sense is not always apparent to everyone, I'd guess.

5. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that I would be that person? :)

I have no apologies. My God is good! He can do anything he desires.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,360425,00.html

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No - I was thinking of someone else.

I just read the article. Please note that the doctor spoke of how rare this is - this is the first result of a live baby from an ovarian pregnancy that they have heard of. "She said only 1 in 40,000 fertilizations implant in the ovary, and it is unheard of that one of those fetuses grow to full term, generally 37 weeks."

98% of ectopic pregnancies occur in the fallopian tube. I've heard of only one case of one of these pregnancies making it to viability. Otherwise 1/2 will spontaniously abort and the other 1/2 will kill the mother if nothing is done to end the pregnancy. In the other 2% that have occured elsewhere in the body, only a handful (seriously like 5 in 2008) have survived.

So, your wife has been diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy - in the fallopian tube. She is experiencing great pain from the child getting too big for the very small area in the fallopian tube. The doctors tell you there's no way to save the child but they can save your wife by removing the baby - and possibly her fallopian tube. What do you do?

This is not theoretical. This has occured to no less than 4 of my friends who were desperately trying to have children.

7. matt wade

I let my wife make the decision :).

Seriously though, a situation like this may be the only time I would condone such an act. It would need to be an absolute certainty that the baby is going to die no matter what is done.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I said when the mothers life is at risk.

I don't find logic in trading one life for another.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If in a medical procedure to save the life of the mother the unborn baby dies, is that truly an abortion? I consider an abortion to be when the intent of the procedure is to kill the unborn baby.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In essence, that's what an ectopic pregnancy surgery is. It is purposefully removing the child so the mother can live. It's not a side-effect. They actually will remove the child and attempt to save the fallopian tube.

I have to say that it's something I'm so grateful that I never had to deal with (both of my losses were early natural losses) because it would be so hard to KNOW that the baby was alive when I went in for the surgery. :(

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

So the life of an unborn child is more important than the life of the mother? She is expendable, but the unborn baby isn't? What if the pregnant mother was your 11-year-old daughter who was beaten and brutally raped? Would you still feel the same--that she should sacrifice her life for the baby?

It's so easy for us to sit back and piously say what is right or wrong when we have never been in a certain situation. Personally, I would not be willing to lose of my daughters just to have another grandchild.

#32 Jon-Marc, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009
  13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In the situation you mentioned, the 11 year old child will most likely not lose her life by giving birth. Yes, her life will be forever altered but it already is. No reason to add sin to an absolutely horrific situation.

14. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

How often does a pregnancy occur from such violence? Are you saying that after such a sever beating she lives 9 months to deliver a healthy baby? Then dies? Maybe in the case of a comatose woman this might happen but the scenario just don't line up with the argument. [​IMG]

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is either life more important? How do you propose to intentionally end the life of the unborn child?

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I think what he said, if medically it came down to choosing the life of his child or his future grandchild, he would choose his child. I can't say I disagree with him but hope I will never be in that situation.

17. matt wade

The problem with this situation is that there is a choice being made to kill the child. Any true parent would lay down their life for the child outside the womb. Why is it that when the child is still in the womb that many of those "true parents" start thinking differently?

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

So you are affirming the unborn life is more important than the mothers? Perhaps it's a matter of opinion. I would think God sees a soul as a soul.

Outside of the womb, the parent has a choice to lay down their life for their child. Are you saying the choice is made for them since the child is in the womb?

Remember, a "true" parent is one with a child irregardless of the quality of the parenting they provide.

19. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know what an ectopic pregnancy is.

20. matt wade

No, I'm saying that both lives are of the same importance and that we should place our trust in God that he will work things for his good. In the case of a person making a choice to kill the baby, they are workings things for their good and making the life of the baby less imprortant than of the mother.