1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is your thought on washing feet in the church.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by charles_creech78, Jul 13, 2007.

1. CheeseCrackerKidd

CheeseCrackerKidd New Member

Not so, Mike.

They not only met in homes, but they also met in synagogues and temples... why even Jesus went to the synagogue and temple!

In Paul's Epistle to Timothy (not to the Church), he spoke of a woman possibly washing feet of strangers. But this could not have been speaking of a Church, for Paul said she was to teach children at home, and possibly lodge strangers, wash their feet, and even go as far as taking care of them in their affliction (all physical needs and not spiritual). Nowhere is it mentioned preaching or teaching the Word of God to these strangers. These spoken of being ministered to physically were said to be strangers, not Christians.

No, the foot washing was not in a church.

#121 CheeseCrackerKidd, Jul 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2007
  2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Naive is thinking the church is a building!
    He said to Peter, upon this rock I build my church. Where do you get the idea that the "church" is a building?
    Also, do you not consider the twelve Apostles "the church"?

#122 Brother Bob, Jul 31, 2007
  3. CheeseCrackerKidd

The Church was founded upon the Apostles with Jesus Christ being the Chief Cornerstone. The Apostles were members of the Church... as all true Believers are.

Even so, the passages that speak of the foot washing are not in the Church.

Christ washed the Apostle's feet in the Upper Room. They were not the Church, but members of the Church. No, the Church is not a physical building, It is a building not made by hands; it is a spiritual building... all true Believers in Christ Jesus as one Body, the Church.

The Church was not assembled in that Upper Room, only Jesus and the twelve Apostles... the foundation for the Church.

4. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

the laver and footwashing

to save me from reading 13 pages of responses, did anyone address:
    • how the laver (the washbasing thingie in the tabernacle) typifies the foot washing?
    • And how the priest in service were to wash on an ongoing basis?
    • And how the priest that needed cleansing is a type for believers that need to confess sins on an ongoing basis?
    • and how about the placement of the foot-washing story in the gospel of john? up until the footwashing, Jesus was in public ministry, after the footwashing He is amoung His true believers, then in chapter 17 He is one-on-one with the Father. This all is typified with the placement of the laver in the tabernacle (inside the outher court, just outside the Holy place). the outer court typifies Jesus's public ministry, then the laver symbolized the foot washing, then the Holy place is chapters 13-16 where Jesus in with His true believers. and then He enters the the presence of His Father, one on one, like he high priest of old, entering into the Holiest of Holy place, "once a year"...
    i could go on, but i think you get my point....

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, according to you then, man or the devil can burn the church. Sorry, but the church is "believers in Christ". If the devil, could burn the church, it would already be gone.
    The "church" is spiritual, not natural.

BBob

#125 Brother Bob, Jul 31, 2007
  6. CheeseCrackerKidd

Apparently you are not reading what I wrote. I said these exact same things!

The Church is made up of the true Believers... it is a spiritual manifestation of Christ in the earth.

Yer getting away from the foot washing Bob. Where does it say it is to be done in the building we call a Church?

Old Testament passages that Richard used come close, but not close enough, as the only one's doing washing were priests... and they were not washing feet of congregation, but rather their own feet and hands. So the laver does not apply.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am not getting away from feetwashing, as a matter of fact, just setting it up. Don't you believe that Christ and the Apostles were the "church"?
    I have tried my best not to judge others who do not believe in feetwashing, even though I believe it was set up in the church by Christ Himself.

BTW, I am pretty sure the FWB around here do wash feet.

#127 Brother Bob, Jul 31, 2007
  8. CheeseCrackerKidd

If yer setting it up, set it up. present the verses that emphatically state that footwashing is to be done in the building we call Church.

Neither John 13, nor 1 Timothy 5 show it.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

John 13
    12: So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?
    13: Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.
    14: If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.
    15: For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
    16: Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

Jhn 14:26 But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Jesus said He had given us an example.
    He said, if I have washed your feet you also ought to wash one another.
    The greatest thing He said is "The servant is not greater than the Lord", how do you feel?

If it is not binding then why was it going to be brought to their remembrance?

#129 Brother Bob, Jul 31, 2007
  10. CheeseCrackerKidd

If the foot washing was to be done in the buildings people think of when they hear the word 'Church', why did not Peter, Paul, Barnabas and others preach foot washing in all the Churches they wrote Epistles to?

Corinth surely was in need of footwashing with all the faults they had. Galatia also had it's problems... why no footwashing mentioned?

Paul preached only that which he received of Christ, why did he not teach and preach foot washing?

Because the foot washing was not a Church thing, but a servant thing to be done to all who needed that area of physical attention.

The twelve met in that Upper Room, not to worship, but to celebrate the Passover and to partake of one last supper with the Lord Jesus Christ. It was there Christ washed their feet. It was not taught of Christ to be practiced in the building where the assembly met to worship.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

How do you know he didn't. He said I preach Jesus Christ and Jesus taught it, so how you know he didn't.
    Also, do you believe in the Great Commission and where did it come from?

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

We did a foot washing one time.

It's amazing how many soles were touched that night!

:D

13. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Good questions. I was going to ask about the ongoing confession of sins, myself.

I would add to that the question, how is it possible to help cleanse our brothers and sisters in a humble way? I see posts about prohibiting people from partaking communion, church discipline, etc., as if these are the ways to help our brothers and sisters stay "clean". But these are all assertions of church authority, not "foot washing as a servant".

14. npetreley

npetreley New Member

That was one of the worst puns I've ever heard. And I wish I'd thought of it first. ;)

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

No, but as an act of humbleness and love.

Good thoughts.

#135 Brother Bob, Jul 31, 2007