1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is your thought on washing feet in the church.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by charles_creech78, Jul 13, 2007.

1. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are we allowed only one thought ? Can't we wash our feet at home ? That is unless the church has adequate shower facilities . Is it pretty dusty in your neck of the woods ?

3. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Why would I want to wash my feet at a meeting of the church? We don't greet each other with a holy kiss, we don't sell all our stuff and give it to the church, we don't tell someone to die for lying about how much they received and donated, we don't turn water into wine, we don't take 5 loaves and two fish and feed thousands ......... I could go on, but I won't, except to say that there are two observances: The Lord's Supper or Table, and baptism, neither necessary for salvation.

:wavey:

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

2Ti 3:16All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

John 13:
    8: Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.
    9: Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.
    10: Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.
    11: For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.
    12: So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?
    13: Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.
    14: If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.
    15: For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

We, as do many others practice feet washing. We believe it to be a part of the Communion. Let others do as they may, but

does not give any of you a right, nor should you, make mocking statements, to those who do practice feet washing. It shows

your humbleness, one towards another and I am glad to gird myself and wash my brothers feet and will never be to proud to

do so. God hates a proud look.

If we have the mind of Christ that He had on that day, we would have no problem whatsoever washing our brothers feet, I

wonder if any mockery includes Jesus also.

#4 Brother Bob, Jul 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2007
  5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I think the key to Feet Washing in John 13 is v.7, "What I do you do not realize now, but you will understand hereafter." A more faithful reading would be, "What I do now you do not know fully, but after these things you will know."

Peter knew what feet washing was. It was part of his everyday life. It could not be the custom Jesus had in mind when he said, "What I do now you do not know fully." What then did Jesus have in mind.

Here's my take: Jesus was teaching Peter a lesson in servanthood leadership. And by washing the feet of his followers Jesus was demonstrating that principle.

That is why he went onto to say, "If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a slave is not greater than his master, nor is one who is sent greater than the one who sent him. If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them." (John 13:14-17)

The other place we read of feet washing is in 1 Tim 5:10 and here it is described as a good work: "and having a reputation for good works: if she has brought up children, has shown hospitality, has washed the feet of the saints, has cared for the afflicted, and has devoted herself to every good work." (ESV)

Is it binding on the church as a custom? No. I think it is only binding in principle as servanthood leadership. But if a church does as its custom, then so be it. But there are other ways to demonstrate servanthood leadership.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

The verses of Jesus washing feet are not to tell us we need to wash feet in church. They are much more. They are Jesus demonstrating to us what being a servant of His means, it means we serve others, even when we must lower ourselves to do so, it is costly to us to serve Him. Jesus said the Son of man came to serve not be served. Too many times christian think they should be served, raising themselves above Jesus in so doing. He not only said, He did, thus showing us how to humble ourselves in service.
    So no, we should be washing our feet at home, as part of our routine maintenance of our bodies, but we should be serving others always.

#6 donnA, Jul 13, 2007
  7. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

I do not believe that feet washing is an ordinance of the church. But it should neither be criticised. Donna I believe has understood the ehart of jesus words. But to practice it is a good reminder of our need for humbleness.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Washing my feet should probably fall under the "sin unto death" thread :D

9. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

I believe that when a person washes another brother or sister feet I see them washing christ feet. It shows true love for that brother or sister. It shows that you love God because you love your brother or sister. I believe Christ wash them brothers feet because he loved them. It is a spiritual washing of the feet. And them that wash each other feet are just showing that Christ is there lord and savior. I love this old time way that I see and I really want to be apart of it. I love singing hymes to the lord. I like to go fishing on the bank and thank of all that he has given me and sing him a old zion song. My favorite song is Salvation the name I love. I love seeing old time brothers come together and sing them songs. I love hearing the gospel being preached. These thing are what make me happy for any other time I am sad.

#9 charles_creech78, Jul 13, 2007
  10. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I am a Primitive Baptist. I believe we ought to wash one another's feet following our remembrance of the Lord's Supper.

I do not care, really, to chastise those not of us who see Christ's example as a simple demonstration of something greater. It was certainly that. What I despise is the attitude we get from those who would mock our belief that we should follow the example Christ gave for us. What I despise is the attitude I have experienced from outsiders, and even some on this board in the past, who would say that the message is that of humbleness, but they state emphatically that there is no way they would ever touch someone's feet to wash them. Of all the hypocritcal statements! We are worthy of no more than Christ was. He showed meekness and humbled himself at his brethren's feet. Why do we think ourselves any better?

I love this practice that we have maintained. I wish more people could experience it. I can guarantee you that, if you're in the riht spirit, you will receive a marvellous blessing from performing this work for your brethren.

This was not an action just to wash someone's dirty feet. The jewish custom was not to wait until after supper was over to do such. That would make no sense. This was something deeper than a simple custom. Jesus said as much. His followers didn't understand; many today don't understand. I praise God that I am able to see and experience the kind of true love that it takes to physically get down on my hands and knees and wash and dry the feet of a brother in the church. I know of no greater way to express the humble spirit we should have toward one another than the very way Christ demonstrated it to his disciples and to us. Much pride must be swallowed to lower yourself to the position of the lowest servant. I praise God that His Son gave us this example and He has preserved it for us in scripture.

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Interesting dialogue coupled with the ultimate in Church leadership. Peter says as many of us would, hold on here, you are my Lord and my Master, you don't wash my feet. Washing feet is the job of the servant not of the master. Jesus responds exactly, and if I don't wash your feet you are not one of mine.

People still scratch their heads on this today. The Jews wanted a king like unto David. How many times do we exalt people in the Church? How many of us know of men who are in positions and feel some jobs in the Church are beneath them? Jesus is saying I am your Lord and Savior and the same has the servitude to wash your feet. And to take it one step further, If I am not able to serve you, you are not one of mine because I WILL serve those who are mine.

Jesus is teaching us, the position of teacher, preacher, elder, chior director, worship leader etc... is that of a servant. We are here to serve those who God has given to our care even if that means the lowly job of washing their feet.

So in verses 14 & 15 Jesus is saying to Peter, soon the sick will be healed simply by having faith and coming into your shadow. You will be known as great by men when it comes to positions in my Church. Don't get the "Big Head (or don't get it twisted as my daughter would say)", you are their servant. The Son of Man came to serve and so he sends us as servants into service.

If you wash feet for the sake of cleaning ones feet then you missed the point, if you do it from the heart and to serve your brothers (and sisters) in Christ then yes, wash feet (mow the lawn, scrub the floors, do the windows etc...). I may have stated this before, we wash feet as part of an ordination.

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Very well put Lebuick; Amen :praying:

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I think LeBuick's post was dead on.

Another lesson I have been told regarding the account of Jesus washing the disciples feet is that He was also teaching them that their daily sins needed to be forgiven. When Peter said "no, you need to wash all of me", Jesus said that he was already clean, only his feet needed washing. He was already clean in the sense that he was saved, but he got dirty with sin each day so to speak, so the washing of his feet symbolized restored fellowship with the Father when we asked for daily forgiveness of sins.
    Did that make any sense?
    Have you ever heard of that Bro. Bob?

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

No Amy, I have never heard that. I believe when we come to that point that we had better already examined ourselves to see if we are worthy.
    You sure make some good posts Amy. I read all of them.

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have never participated in foot washing, but I think it is a beautiful thing and I'm sure it's a very humbling experience. I always enjoy reading how you do things in the Old Regular Baptist churches.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I've heard that Amy but my questions were always about Judas. He had his feet washed also;

10: Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.
    11: For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.

If the purpose of the foot washing was to cleanse and Judas was not cleansed by the washing from Jesus then it would imply there is something Jesus can't do. Would you agree or did I miss the point?

17. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Examine yourself. Are you worthy?

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You make a good point. Although Jesus did say that not all of them were clean so we know Judas wasn't clean (saved).
    In verse 18 Jesus says "I do not speak of all of you. I know the ones I have chosen; but it is that the Scripture may be fulfilled, 'he who eats My bread has lifted up his heel against Me.'"
    Yet Jesus did wash his feet. So maybe the idea about washing the feet meaning forgiveness of daily sins is a bad analogy. It seems that Jesus washing the disciples' feet was in fact all about being a servant. That makes more sense. Thanks for making me think. :)

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Never.

20. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Amen. Self-examination is good and important, but I don't need it in order to answer this question. Never for me, either.