1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What makes a religious group "demonic"

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Salty, May 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sammantha Wiley

Sammantha Wiley New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    - Forcing members attend their church and work for free.

- Forcing academy students' family members to attend THEIR church, nowhere else.

- Using the little students in choirs and taking them on field trips, so they can earn money.

- Forbidding hearing and deaf students to use their voice.

- And so many more

Maybe the list above is not so "demonic" but it does make up a cult.

My friend wrote this about Harvest Baptist Church of the Deaf in Ringgold GA, which is where I grew up.

Leaving a Cult and Rewiring My Brain | Facebook

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was talking to a Baptist pastor one day.
    His church had a pianist - but she would be leaving soon
    BECAUSE
    she was taking a job as a teacher at a church that had a Christian School.
    All teachers were required to be members of that church. This pastor told me the real reason for that rule was so that teachers would give their offering to there church.

Hmm - should we call that a cult?

3. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And here is a scripture for you....

Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. - 1 Corinthians 14:39

But... I was raised Baptist and believed with all my heart that speaking of tongues was of the devil and originated somewhere in the jungles of Africa. It was only by experiencing these things myself that I learned otherwise....

George Clark Rankin - Rockytopva Testimony

And along with George Clark Rankin....

During these forty-five long years, with their alternations of sunshine and shadow, daylight and darkness, success
    and failure, rejoicing and weeping, fears within and fightings without, I have never ceased to thank God for that autumnal
    day in the long ago when my name was registered in the Lamb's Book of Life.

4. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I must say also that I am currently a member of the Pentecostal Holiness church, which was started in North Carolina by a Methodist evangelist by the name of Abner Blackmon Crumpler, who willing to accept speaking in tongues, did not accept the idea that it was the initial evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Crumpler was re-elected president of the body; however, with a majority of the delegates having experienced tongues, he permanently disaffiliated himself from the church.

Charles Stanley, a former president of the Southern Baptist church and senior pastor of First Baptist of Atlanta, was born in Dry Fork, VA. With all his success as pastor of a megachurch and a major television personality, Stanley never forgot his Pentecostal roots. In most of his books he acknowledged his upbringing in the Pentecostal Holiness Church and wrote glowingly of his grandfather George Washington Stanley.

https://www.intouch.org/read/blog/book-excerpt-a-lesson-from-my-grandfather
    Pastor Charles Stanley, Retouching His Pentecostal Roots

5. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Paul... Passing through Ephesus... Finds Christian disciples! And noticing that something missing from their life goes on to ask...

1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
    2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
    3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
    4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
    5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
    6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. - Acts 19

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus will be King over His kingdom age !

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Instruction for the Apostolic Age, not for today!

8. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Scripture?

9. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    oh! I get it! We live out of the Spirit and in the flesh! The Spiritual stuff was all for the Apostolic Age! And what were the gripes againt the Apostolic Age?

Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent. Revelation 2:4-5

The source of light was the Holy Spirit! In which they walked away from, against the Lord's wishes!

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Holy Spirit Himself testifies that the scriptures alone are all that we need for today!

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you are absolutely correct about Stanley. Back in the 90's he did a 3 week series on Eternal security - during that series he brought up the fact he was raised as a PH. He then mentioned how frighten he was knowing he could loose his salvation at any time and end up in Hell. He was so thankful that he learned of the truth - which assured him of his eternal security.

I remember that series well, (I managed a Christian radio station) my Secretary was PH and after two days - she turned off the monitor when Stanley came on- she could not stand to hear anything about Eternal Security. Other than that - she was an excellent secretary!

#91 Salty, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They were not saved until they heard the Gospel by Paul. and God did the tongues to indicate that they now were included in the body...
    Much,. most of what happened in Acts was recording down the transition time between the Covenants, and not norm for today!

13. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well then... What would I call the infilling of the Holy Spirit? In the old Pentecostal Holiness ways it would come through in the character. And if they could not discern the Holy Spirit within they would, as they were often in revival... Tell you to come back tomorrow night! And smile a little as they said it! I can imagine Abner Blackmon Crumpler's concerns over the Holy Spirit being too much about tongues and his decision to leave the denomination he himself started. I believe George Clark Rankin came through to the Holy Spirit in the revival described below....

"During these forty-five long years, with their alternations of sunshine and shadow, daylight and darkness, success and failure, rejoicing and weeping, fears within and fightings without, I have never ceased to thank God for that autumnal day in the long ago when my name was registered in the Lamb's Book of Life." - George Clark Rankin

I believe George Clark Rankin walked in the innocency of the Holy Spirit until leaving for the university.

George Clark Rankin - Rockytopva Testimony

I believe that the university life exposed George Clark Rankin to all the intellectual evils that would threaten his faith and walk in the Holy Spirit

14. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is now if you can see it. Do this; Nobody preaches the gospel of the Kingdom today. I've never heard it all my life. They preach the gospel of the Pharisee's future kingdom. = a false Kingdom and a false Christ.

Peter preached the true gospel of the Kingdom in Acts 2. It includes Jesus' present reign on David's throne from Heaven. And Jesus' payment for sins on the cross including his death, burial, and resurrection. If you spend time with it, it will be probably the first time you ever heard the gospel of the kingdom Peter, Paul, and the rest of the disciples preached.

15. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perfect description of today.
    Even so come Lord Jesus!

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus stated the Kingdom will still be for Israel, just future, but that now the church into great Commission!

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't he thought go off into that heretical teaching of "millenial exclusion", which was very odd for one holding to eternal security to teach!

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that 1906 was not of the Holy Spirit, but we are to be continually refilled by the Spirit, evidenced by fruit and witnessing and lifestyles!

19. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Church IS Israel. The unbelieving Jews are not.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    National israel still has their time with Him yet to come!

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.