1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What Was Adam Pre-Fall

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Reformed1689, Feb 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do we have a sin nature? is the Spirit aspect dead in us until it gets reborn again?

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe our nature is the "flesh" or "natural". These are the words Scripture uses for the spirit that is of Adam (contrasted with the Spirit of God).

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do we have an immaterial aspect to us that sets us against God?

4. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am now very confused on your position. It is almost as if you seem to say that there is no difference between pre-fall Adam and post-fall Adam.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    or that we even have something called a soul/spirit!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Speaking ontologically I am saying that there is no difference between Adam pre and post fall with the exception that his eyes were open and he became "like God" in knowing good and evil.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you serious?

Look through my posts and count how many times I have said that I believe Adam was created flesh, with a physical body, a soul and a spirit. It was over 10 times this week. I even discussed this with a few members (@Reformed and @Van come to mind) who hold to man having two rather than three components.

We disagree and that is fine. But I really do not know how you come up with some of the things you say about other people and their beliefs as they have stated them.

The issue is you are poking around with wild ideas (like @Iconoclast has done) perhaps hoping that if you say it enough people may buy into the idea. We have to treat one another honestly. Ask before you imply about my views (or anyone else). Don't be an Iconoclast.

@davidtaylorjr , if you missed my argument that Adam was created with a physical body, a human spirit and a soul then let me know and I can either point you to the places or we can discuss it.

8. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Adam was dead in sin prior to the fall? I'm not trying to trick you into a corner, I'm really trying to understand where you are coming from.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe Adam was dead in sin prior to the Fall. The term "dead in sin", IMHO, refers to the state of man who are in bondage of sin and death. We cannot apply this to Adam any more than we can apply having the indwelling of the Spirit (spiritual life) to Adam.

I believe that God created Adam as natural man (as opposed to spiritual man). First comes the natural (the flesh) and then the spiritual (the Last Adam becomes a life-giving spirit). So Adam, natural man, was created without sin (God did not create sin). Adam allowed the temptations of the flesh (the appeal of the fruit) to birth sin (see Jame's explanation of sin).

The result was that Adam was still natural man, but his eyes were opened and he "became like God knowing good and evil". Because of sin death entered into the world and spread to all men (natural man became enslaved to the law of sin and death).

10. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me, this explanation seems to actually try and skirt the issue. Adam wasn't spiritually dead before the fall, but not spiritually alive either? You can't have it both ways. Was he just in a state of limbo?

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see what you are saying, but no. It is actually neither because the term cannot be applied pre-Fall.

Consider these questions pre-fall: Was Adam sealed with the Spirit? Did Adam have the Spirit indwelling in him? Did Adam have everlasting life? Had Christ become a "life giving Spirit"? Did Adam have "Christ in him"? Was Adam of the "imperishable seed"? No. He was not. We cannot say Adam had "spiritual life" because this life refers to the "rebirth".

Was Adam "spiritually dead"? In a biblical sense, you could say he was. Adam did not possess "spiritual life". But at the same time pre-fall death had not entered the world. The thing is Adam's spirit never died. He was created natural man (1 Corinthians 15) not spiritual man. It seems to skirt the issue because the question is invalid. The question itself skirts Scripture.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, this goes to our disagreement on the definition of spiritual life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bottom Line--Scripture is clear, we are not being "restored back to Adam's pre-fallen state." We are being Transformed, from glory to glory, into Christ.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, probably does.

Are you familiar with John Piper?

Piper refers to himself as a 7 point Calvinist. The last two points are double predestination and the best of all possible worlds.

I believe that we are living in the best of all possible worlds. I base this on faith in the nature of God. We may not see this in our lifetime but I believe that God governs the course of history so that his glory will be more fully displayed than would have been in any other possible circumstances. This does not necessitate my view that Adam was created natural man (not spiritual), but it does support the context. I believe Adam was created natural man and placed in the Garden, God knowing without a doubt that natural man would miss the mark, Adam's sin was a part of God's plan. It was always about the Redeemer, not about man but about Christ as the Firstborn.

That is part of the presuppositions I hold, and again while this is not the reason I hold my view it is one support.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Adam did not need to have the Holy Spirit indwelling Him pre fall, nor the messiah to die in his stead as of yet!

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How glorious was Adam though before the fall? Coudl he not have been created higher then even the angels of God?

17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Adam and Eve were also not immortal. The tree of life was available which would have changed that.

18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No sin, no death!

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not, as Genesis seems to indicate that he was the pinnacle of the creation of God, said to be made in very image of God....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.