1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured When are we SAVED?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by atpollard, Sep 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Believe me when I say that I'm engaging everything that you are saying, sir.

Goodbye, Barry...
    I wish you well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Barry Johnson

Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again. if your interested on the ' message of reconciliation ' I will be happy to engage on there . I'm genuinely wanting to go through those verses and if someone has an argument from the scriptures, I'm happy to be corrected . Let me know where I'm wrong on that thread about ' reconciled ' ect ..From the scriptures and not from ' credulity ' or ' logical necessity.

3. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Avoidance as ever .

4. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your theology points others in a different direction, which is good.

5. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not with scripture.
    Observe, question, interpret and apply. Let's try this on entire passages so we see context. I actually dare you to do this.

6. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every time you will fall into syllogism and inductive reasoning , without fail . Set the timer ...go !

7. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed, Barry's op has been addressed and Barry has resorted to "Calvin" as a crutch to avoid scripture. He does this often as a means of avoiding what God declares. It is time to dust off the sandals and walk away.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dave is the ' phantom ' responder . He never goes through anything. Its like a missle drop and fly by .

9. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no Gospel( Good news ) in Calvinism to point anyone to .

• Like Like x 1
  10. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not interpret scripture I let scripture interpret it self. Bet you didn't know it could do that. I take scripture literally. I can not add to it or ignore any of it the way you do through your interpretation. The Bible says not to add or take away from it. This is what you do with your interpretations.
    MB

• Like Like x 1
  11. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    ' keep reading ' principle .
    Revelation 20
    14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
    15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
    Notice why they are cast into the lake of fire ? whosoever was not found written in the book of life .
    Question how is a person found or not found written in that book ( singular ) ?
    The clue has something to do with being in Christ or not . Even you as a calvinist cannot argue that a person is found or not found in that ' book ' based on if He believed on Jesus ,death , burial and resurrection or not . I believe that's the reason why some will be in hell . Because they refused to believe the truth so as to be saved .

• Like Like x 1
  12. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dave G

I understand what you believe. I am asking you to address 1Cor 1:21.

....God was well pleased, through the foolishness of the message preached, to save those who believe...

Scripture, here, makes a direct connection between the preaching of the gospel and salvation. In fact, this is God’s plan to bring salvation to His people.

Would you answer this? Is the preaching of the gospel necessary for salvation? If it is, how is that not contrary to your stated belief we are saved in eternity past?

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see that the Gospel is God's means to notify His people of their salvation.

It is not an offer, but a promise given only to the "whosoever believeth".
    I also see that it is necessary for God's word to be believed and trusted...
    for without it, God's people would never know of the things that are freely given to them.

That said, I've decided that what I've stated thus far is as far as I'm going to pursue this.
    It's time I took a break from this forum, and perhaps a long one.

I've recognized the hard way that me discussing what I believe only leads to misunderstandings and arguments, of which I grow increasingly grieved in my Spirit about.
    Thanks for considering my posts and what they contain, and I wish all of you well.

#132 Dave G, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  14. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is false. You certainly interpret, but you ignore context and thus take one sentence to mean whatever you want it to mean.
    Here's an example of a verse out of context:

Luke 4:7 If you, then, will worship me, it will all be yours.”

The funny thing is that Barry likes what you say. Two peas...

15. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just to clarify, your “first post” to which I was referring was #36.

It was in response to this post that I posted a list of possible “WHEN” questions that this event could happen.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six hour warning
    This thread will be closed no sooner than 301 AM EDT (Mon) / 1201 am PDT (Mon)

17. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't know that this is your favorite verse. No thanks I'm not even tempted by your false doctrines.
    MB

18. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    And here we reach the dot and tittle that divides our theologies.
    Is “faith” also a gift of God’s Grace?
    I say “yes” and you say “no” and the scripture supports both views, but irrefutably denies neither (or this discussion would not have gone on since the 1500’s).

So “Shalom Shabbat” ... The peace of the sabbath be upon you.

19. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You cannot have saving Grace with out the Faith for it to come through.
    Eph 2:8
    MB

20. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Cor 1:21 does not say the gospel was God’s plan to notify His people they were saved in eternity past.

It says God is well pleased, through the foolishness of the message preached, to save those who believe.

Is the gospel necessary for salvation?

You said the gospel is necessary to notify His people are saved. That is not biblical, and quite frankly, borders on heresy because you deny the gospel is necessary for salvation.

If people are saved in eternity past, why did Jesus die at an appointed time in God’s plan?

peace to you

21. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    [Eph 2:8 NASB] 8 For by grace you have been saved[masculine] through faith[feminine] ; and that not of yourselves, [it is] the gift[neuter] of God;

“gift” must match the gender of the thing that is being given in Greek grammar. “saved” is masculine and “faith” is feminine so neither one can be the “gift”. “saved through faith” combined is both masculine and feminine and would match a neuter “gift”.

I am FAR from an expert on this, but that is my best understanding of how this verse works. So this verse could honestly be interpreted as “God gives you faith that saves you because of His grace” or OT could honestly be interpreted as “God gives you the gift of salvation through your faith, because of His grace”.

It cannot be interpreted that God gives you the gift of salvation, and faith just happens to be how God does it. It also cannot be interpreted that God gives you faith and that allows you to save yourself. Neither “saved” nor “faith” alone can be the “gift”.

I believe that the next verse and the earlier part about “while we were yet dead ...” suggests that the whole thing “grace, saved and faith” are the “gift” from God ... so that no one has anything to boast about except God.

Sorry, but I stand by my position that there are no “slam-dunk” victories to be had in a 500 year old debate, or we would not still be debating it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.