When Did Jesus Ascend?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by richard n koustas, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Archeryaddict New Member

LVB John 20:17. ``Don't touch me,'' he cautioned, ``for I haven't yet ascended to the Father. But go find my brothers and tell them that I ascend to my Father and your Father, my God and your God.''

RSV 17. Jesus said to her, "Do not hold me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brethren and say to them, I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God."

SIM 17. Jesus said to her, ``Don't cling to me; I have not yet gone up to the Father. Go to your brothers and tell them this: `I am going to my Father and your Father, to my God and to your God.' ''

ASV 17. Jesus saith to her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended unto the Father: but go unto my brethren, and say to them, I ascend unto my Father and your Father, and my God and your God.

John 20:16
    Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.

I dont see anywhere in this verse where it says Mary grabbed a hold of Jesus
    it Plainly says she she turned herself and saith unto Him, Raboni; which is to say Master.

this is a prefect example of how people try to over analyze what is in the Scripture.

whether she Lached on to Jesus or not Is really not that big of an issue but drawing youre own conclusion of what the scripture plainly tells us is Not practical Biblical study.

I think this thread has been highjacked enough from its original topic of discussion Lets try to get it back on track. no need in beating a dead horse;)

2. richard n koustas New Member

Archeryaddict:

thank you for redirecting this thread...

everyoneelse:

now, did Jesus ascend between the time He spoke with Mary and 7 days later when He spoke to Thomas? From reading the text, in whatever version(!), it almost seems that Jesus was on his way to heaven and He stopped to talk to Mary on the way.

3. Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Richard, your original question was:

Myself and others have tried to explain that the key to understanding this passage, and the answer to your question is the proper understanding of the word "touch."

When you understand that he did not tell Mary not to make any contact with Him, then there is no reason to believe that He ascended between these two verses. I believe that He ascended in Acts 1:9.

4. Archeryaddict New Member

I believe
    he ascended after He spoke to Mary then came back for a short time.

5. Johnv New Member

Well, it certainly doesn't violate scripture, but scripture doesn't appear to support it outright either. It's certainly plausible, I suppose.

So long as one doesn't make a doctrine out of it, there's really no problem here.

6. Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This IS the answer to the original post.

Once the assertion was made that He ascended immediately after His encounter with Mary (based on the interpretation of the word "touch")...

...then the opposing view of the word "touch" HAD to be proposed to give way to another evident explanation of when He ascended.

We haven't strayed from the original topic as of yet, that I can see.

My opinion? He ascended 40 days after the Resurrection. Some were there to witness it.

Why would He have had a "secret" ascension, that no one witnessed, only to have a "secret" return that no one witnessed to finish out His purpose of the 40 days?

This debate ALL hinges on the interpretation of the word, "touch".

Peace-

YSIC
    Scarlett O.
    <><

7. richard n koustas New Member

I am not convinced that
    for two reasons.
    1-what Jesus said AFTER he told Mary not to touch (pick a version, any version). It sounds like He's on His way.

2-I have often wondered where was Jesus when He wasn't visibly on the earth. He was seen several times over 40 days, but where was He when he was not seen?

8. Archeryaddict New Member

9. Archeryaddict New Member

This IS the answer to the original post.

Once the assertion was made that He ascended immediately after His encounter with Mary (based on the interpretation of the word "touch")...

...then the opposing view of the word "touch" HAD to be proposed to give way to another evident explanation of when He ascended.

We haven't strayed from the original topic as of yet, that I can see.

My opinion? He ascended 40 days after the Resurrection. Some were there to witness it.

Why would He have had a "secret" ascension, that no one witnessed, only to have a "secret" return that no one witnessed to finish out His purpose of the 40 days?

This debate ALL hinges on the interpretation of the word, "touch".

Peace-

YSIC
    Scarlett O.
    <><
    </font>[/QUOTE]OK
    I dont think that any one in this debate was an actual eye witness to what actually happened,
    however we do have scripture that plainly tells us what did transpire between Jesus and Mary.
    and where Jesus went before revisiting the 12
    I also believe he went Back to heaven for one week and one day between his appearance to the desiples and his re appearance to Thomas

Mary could have been 50 feet away from Jesus when she recognized Jesus voice therefore making it impossible for her to grab ahold of Jesus.
    Absolutley no where in this passage does it indicate that mary grabbed ahold of Jesus. it Plainly indicated that she turned to him and said Master and he replied to do not touch me because I have not yet ascended to my father: but go to my brothers and tell them I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God and your God.

Jesus Missed His Daddy and He went to see him (Mikeoligy) :D
    for goodness sake Folks, if Jesus is Fully capable of appearing out of thin air to His disciples in a closed room I think he is Fully capable of going home for a few hours and returning to earth the same day by appearing out of thin air to His disciples.

[ January 07, 2005, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Archeryaddict ]

10. Archeryaddict New Member

for two reasons.
    1-what Jesus said AFTER he told Mary not to touch (pick a version, any version). It sounds like He's on His way.

2-I have often wondered where was Jesus when He wasn't visibly on the earth. He was seen several times over 40 days, but where was He when he was not seen?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Because Brother He was on his way!

I dont wonder any more, He was Seated at the right hand of the Father between visits!

Praise King Jesus Praise His Glorious Holy Name!

11. Johnv New Member

In the bog scheme of things, who cares when he ascended? The point is, he went to be the Father, and is seated at His right hand in glory, for the benefit of all of us. Praise God our Father and His Son Jesus CHrist, our Brother.

12. Archeryaddict New Member

Well John It is a good topic of discussion
    and I have enjoyed the discussion.

13. Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I care. In the sense that I want a proper understanding of what went on during those 40 days after He rose again.

There are more than 10 separate incidents that are recorded in the New Testament of Jesus meeting with both men and women after He rose from the dead. One of my favorites is His meeting with Cleopas on the road to Emmaus.(sp?)

He met once with over 500 people.

Acts 1:3 gives an implication that there were more than these recorded times when Jesus met with His followers after the resurrection. A lot more.

And the same verse gives an implication that His main purpose in remaining for 40 days was to complete a specific purpose. To give evidence to His resurrection.

The Bible is very clear. He was here for 40 days. 40 is a number that means completeness.

So I care when He ascended. Getting that point straight my own mind is so that it adds clarity to the understanding of the final days of His earthly reign is important.

What's not important is arguing the point with people who are as fixed in their opinion as myself.

"If you convinced me
    and I convinced you,
    wouldn't there still be
    two points of view?"

Vachel Lindsey

Peace-

YSIC
    Scarlett O.
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

14. Marcia Active Member

I agree with Scarlett. I think it is impotant. Jesus' ascension to the Father means something very significant - this was the end of his work on earth in a body and it was when he was given honor in heaven.

I think ascending to the Father was a significant indication of Christ's triumph and the completion of his incarnation; therefore, it would not have been something that happened without being recorded. If Jesus had ascended right after the crucifixion, and then came back, we have Jesus coming back twice. I just don't see this happening.

When Jesus told Mary to tell the apostles, "I am ascending to the Father," it did not necessarily mean that moment. He was letting them know (via Mary) that although he had resurrected and was there, he was going to ascend. He was not going to be around that long.

15. AZfiddler_Oct1996 New Member

yes anything in gods word is important....

16. Johnv New Member

If it were that important, scripture would have recorded it more succinctly. We know that Jesus died, rose again, and several days later, ascended to be with God the Father in Heaven. Sure, it makes for interesting discussion, but whether Jesus ascended between appearing to Mary and his disciples and came back is not a matter of doctrine, nor does it violate doctrine. Let us not make a doctrine out of it.

BTW - I conur with you. I believe that Jesus was on earth 40 days before ascending to Heaven.

17. Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that scripture did record the ascension succintly ( are we spelling that right ?)....

...however....

I hope I did not come off as trying to beat doctrine down anyone's throat. I was just trying to defend my point.

Sometimes I come on too forcefully. :mad:

Especially when I'm right.

Just kidding.

Peace-

YSIC
    Scarlett O.
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

18. Paul of Eugene New Member

Who knows what kind of jumping around between heaven and earth Jesus did between all his appearances? What difference does it make?

I do know that the words Jesus used didn't mean "touch me not" but did mean "stop hanging on" . . .

It was probably getting a little to tight and downright uncomfortable!