1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where is the Bible?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Harold Garvey, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

No spoken words "exist". They have no substance. Written records exist. With modern technology sounds can be recorded.
    You should have read to the end of the chapter (Jeremiah 36:32, KJV)--
    Then took Jeremiah another roll, and gave it to Baruch the scribe, the son of Neriah; who wrote therein from the mouth of Jeremiah all the words of the book which Jehoiakim king of Judah had burned in the fire: and there were added besides unto them many like words.
    So, clearly the second scroll had additions; it was not a exact copy. It was a whole new work; an original.

#101 franklinmonroe, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2009
  2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Let's not forget use of the word "Easter" in Acts 12:4

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I love this argument. Joseph and Jesus Himself were a part of the world then, huh? Did not God use Egypt to preserve?

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should be ashamed of yourself. You have no credibility Mr. Mitchell.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh? Here is a facimile of an actual 1611 KJV Bible. It is the passage that all KJVOs love to quote - Isaiah 14:12 where the "modern versions" use "Day Star" instead of "Lucifer" as the KJV uses. But if you would take a close look at the margin note - and then look up in the Notes to the Reader, you will see the purpose of the margin notes. The purpose is to show the alternate, yet equal reading of the passage.

http://dewey.library.upenn.edu/sceti/printedbooksNew/index.cfm?TextID=kjbible&PagePosition=772

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not really. I myself am becoming less of a fan of the NIV although I still have numerous copies. As I've been studying textual criticsm, I'm finding that I really prefer to have a more literal translation of the Bible to be able to study it. If I want to just read, the NIV is a great translation, but I've been doing much more in depth stuff and the NIV just doesn't suit that as well as other translations. So I think RevMitchell would be saying that it would be a good translation to have to just read (in the woods) but to study? There are better translations for that out there.

7. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The AV1611 itself does much to quash many of the KJVOs' arguments, such as the marginal note for Isaiah 14:12 you mentioned, the marginal note for the 2nd them in Psalm 12:7, which cancels the KJVOs "Psalm 12:6-7 thingie", and the preface "To The Reader", which, along with the translators' marginal notes, are left outta almost all current KJV editions.(Mosta their jive came straight outta Dr. Wilkinson's book.)

I gotta chuckle every time I see a KJVO's handle with "1611" or "AV1611" in it, as I doubt if that person has ever read the AV1611 at all, judging from what they post. And sorry, but the later KJV editions are NOT the AV1611!

8. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lemme setcha straight on a few facts, BYP. First, no one in the Vatican wrote vaticanus. They acquired it C. 1438-1445. it was already ancient then.
    Next, St. Catherine's Monastery, where Sinaiticus was discovered, is GREEK ORTHODOX, not RC.
    Next, there's NO SCRIPTURAL SUPPORT FOR KJVO, not even in the KJV itself. How, then, can you justify it, with NOTHING FROM GOD endorsing it ? ?

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What I find interesting about the KJVO argument is that they get so angry towards the vaticanus - when parts of the KJV are BASED on it.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm dying to have a KJVOist tell me where in the Spanish Reina-Valera or German Huffnung translations I can find scriptural support for KJVOism.

11. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    annsi, when Revmitchell referred to "going to the woods" I don't think he was talking about using the NIV to read and study.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That was brought to my attention.

If he meant it the way I thought in my innocent mind, good.

If he meant it in the way you guys think, I do think that is disgusting. Period.

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What in the world does anyone think I meant? Or do I want to know?

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Doesn't matter at this point, since the original comment was edited out by a moderator. We should drop it and move on.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I need to get that straitened out. I don't know how it was taken but I don't want to leave that lingering out there considering the responses.

[snipped]

Mod note: Thank you for clarifying, this kind of disparaging remark is not permitted about any translation of the Bible.

#115 Revmitchell, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2009
  16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

We do not go around in circles. We put forth arguments that are left unanswered by you. You claim there are no mistakes in the KJV. I have already given you one. You have failed to answer it. Let me refresh your memory.

1. Romans 6:2 "God forbid" Neither God or forbid are in the Greek text.
    2. Acts 12:4 The word "Easter" is a mistranslation. It is the only place in the entire NT where the Greek word "pascha" is not translated passover. It is a wrong translation. "Pascha" always means passover.
    3. The Hebrew word "rheem" means wild ox or possibly "wild goat." It does not mean unicorn, as the KJV translates. The Word of God does not dabble in Greek mythology. This is a wrong translation.
    4. Phil.3:20 uses the word "our 'conversation' is in heaven. The statement is false because of a wrong translation. Our conversation (usually meaning behaviour) is not in heaven; it is on earth. The word in this verse means citizenship. The translators of the KJV butchered the verse here as well. One would never get that meaning out of this verse unless they had the help of the Greek or another translation.

You talk of mistakes. There are just four of them. I could cite many more. But that ought to be enough. There are many meanings that are lost when going from one translation to another. What did it mean when Jesus said "it is easier for a camel to through the eye of a needle..." Remember: they didn't have stainless steel sewing needles back in that age.
    Meaning is lost in translation.

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Did not know that. But nothing I said was "disgusting".

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I will vouch for that.

19. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RevMitchell & DHK, there's another very obvious goof in the KJV at 1 Timothy 6:10. The love of money is NOT *THE* root of ALL evil.

We have discussed this ad nauseam, & I'm not trying to start that discussion over. But, RevMitchell, I would ask you to consider the Greek rendering of that verse, as well as reality, to see that the CORRECT rendering - "the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil" - is quite in line with the Greek.

And also, there's no Scriptural support for KJVO, so how can a Bible-believing Baptist dare believe a doctrine of worship found nowhere in Scripture, but made entirely by MEN?

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I didn't think you did until I found out there could be another interpretation of what you said. I'm the one who said "disgusting" and I'm sorry if that is not the way you meant. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.