Where was Jesus for 3 days?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Southern Fried Baptist, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And we are ok with you being wrong......really!

2. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What error?

5. Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To answer the underlying OP question - "where was Jesus for those 3 days?"
    Luke 23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

John 7:33 Then Jesus said to them,[fn] “I shall be with you a little while longer, and then I go to Him who sent Me. 34 You will seek Me and not find Me, and where I am you cannot come.”
    19:30 So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.
    Jesus suffered the awful separation from his Father while on the cross. When he died he went to his Father in Paradise.

I don't think it profitable to discuss the geography of Heaven/Paradise. We will be with our Saviour in glory, awaiting the resurrection & the NH&NE.

We do need to consider those verses in 1 Peter 3:18-22 as they are readily misinterpreted.
    18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us[fn] to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, 19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited[fn] in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water.
    When did Jesus preach to the spirits in prison ? In the days of Noah. Note that Noah was a preacher of righteousness. 2 Peter 2:5 By the Spirit Jesus preached to the sinners of Noah's time.

Does 1 Peter 4 qualify this?
    4 In regard to these, they think it strange that you do not run with them in the same flood of dissipation, speaking evil of you. 5 They will give an account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. 6 For this reason the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
    Note the tenses - was preached ... are dead. The antediluvians heard the Gospel preached by & through Noah, rejected it & perished in the flood.

Peter is referring in 4:4 of those who will harm you if you become followers of what is good. (3:13)

These verses are not some novel teaching about the afterlife but straightforward Gospel teaching. Hear the Gospel - repent & live; reject the Gospel & suffer fearful judgment. The dead do not escape judgment by dying! Nor do they have an opportunity to repent after death.

Jesus suffered on the cross, his spirit was received by his Father in Heaven/Paradise (as the dying criminal was, & we will) at death, and rose in triumph on the third day.

6. Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

When? Where is that in the Bible?

7. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fine. What do you do with the prophecy of His soul not being left in Hades? Acts of the Apostles 2:27-31?
    [BTW, Jesus' separation from the Father was over before He gave up His Spirit to His Father, John 19:28.]

8. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is an interpretation. What I would like you to do is give an explaination of Acts of the Apostles 2:27-31 about not leaving Jesus' soul in Hades.

9. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why, the answer is very simple - after 3 days & nights on earth, Jesus was resurrected & His spirit went from paradise to back in His body.

And again, there's NO Scripture saying paradise was moved from hades to heaven. You made that up for some reason.

10. Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NT references to Hades - generally indicate a place of judgement aka hell, so why should Jesus be there? Notice also the use of the word translated "leave."

Does "leave my soul in hell/hades imply that the souls of David & Jesus were committed there? Note regarding David & the contrast with God's Holy One -
    29 “Men and brethren, let me speak freely to you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. 30 Therefore, being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that of the fruit of his body, according to the flesh, He would raise up the Christ to sit on his throne,[fn] 31 he, foreseeing this, spoke concerning the resurrection of the Christ, that His soul was not left in Hades, nor did His flesh see corruption.

David's body/flesh did see corruption but Christ's would not. Neither David nor Christ would be left in Hades - the place of punishment. Does Scripture say they would be committed to Hades? NO! Notice how Psalm 16 concludes -
    11 You will show me the path of life;
    In Your presence is fullness of joy;
    At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

David's soul/spirit did NOT go into Hades - at death he entered the presence of his God with fullness of joy. Jesus committed his spirit to his Father, and joined his crucified companion in Paradise.

11. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Abraham told the rich man there is Moses and the prophets which exlained about Hades/Sheol. It having two compartments. The rich man was in its lower place. See what God told Moses, Deuteronomy 32:22. David was thankful for God"s mercy, Psalms 86:13.

12. Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read what Jesus said, not what you think he said.
    22 So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
    Only the rich man was in Hades/Hell. In any case trying to impose geography on spiritual matters is not sound interpretation.

Let's try a different line - 3 heavens. 2 Cor. 12.
    God created the heavens (pl) & the earth.
    1 There are the created physical heavens - the universe as we see it;
    2 the spiritual realm we share with angels & demons - the area of spiritual conflict;
    3 the highest heaven, the eternal dwelling place of God beyond the reach of anyone or anything sinful.

Paul was caught up to the third heaven, aka Paradise.

13. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't know what you are talking about. The KJV is the most accurately translated version availiable
    MB

14. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    O course the only sound interpretation is yours. Hehehehe
    MB

15. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll back him up because it is you who refuse to believe what scripture says. This was written by David
    Psa 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
    Psa 16:11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
    MB

16. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. YOU don't.

"Easter" in the KJV's Acts 12;4 is a major goof.

"Thou shalt not KILL" in Ex. 20:13 is a poor translation.

There's NO manuscript support for the words "and shalt be" in Rev. 16:5.

And "hell" is a mistranslation of 'hades'. Jesus was in PARADISE for 3 days & nights, not hell. He said so Himself.

17. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not in 1611,

18. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh I'm sorry I for got you know it all Hehehehehehe:Roflmao

19. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can YOU prove me wrong?
    Go for it !

20. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You haven't shown that the Bible is wrong. Your the one making claims. Prove you are right.
    MB