1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

While Colin Kaepernick Refuses To Stand...........

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It may have been debunked in YOUR eyes. But in the yes of the folks whose brothers and fathers are being murdered by the police and denied due process of the law, ain't nothing been debunked.

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I think he did both. He made it very clear what his purpose is. And if that causes some to think he was being disrespectful, so be it.

When it comes to right and wrong, sometimes you got to do things that make folks uncomfortable or upset in order to see change take place.

I know a man from Galilee who did the same thing.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Comparing Kaepernick to Jesus is absurd.

If Kaepernick wants to make a difference, he can make a much greater impact by not fanning the flames in the midst of a tense situation. That's not being like Jesus. That's just being stupid.

He's acting like a petulant child, and he's getting the reaction appropriate to a petulant child.

If he wants to appear at a protest, he can do that. If he wants to make speeches, he can do that. If he wants to do commercials, he can do that. He can do what he wants, obviously.

What he can't do is to avoid backlash. Backlash creates the opposite of understanding and awareness.

And I'm not approaching this from the perspective of someone who denies the legitimacy of some of his comments. I'm very sympathetic, actually, and that's what irritates me. He's making things worse, not better. Fomenting anger will only increase the problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

That's your opinion. I think he has utilized the very same technique that MLK Jr and others during the Civil Rights Era did and they patterned that after the ministry of Christ.

That again is YOUR opinion. He seems to disagree. And Jesus often fanned the flames in the midst of a tense situation so I don't know why you'd think that was not being like Jesus.

White people are just upset that he said what he said. The flames are fanned every time a white person denies that nothing is wrong.

So I say again, good for him for just not caring what the white people who don't care about the injustice are saying.
    If you say so. I've listened to lots of outlets. HE's being applauded.

He chose to protest by not standing during the National Anthem. Perhaps if more white people pretended to care more about the lives of those black people being murdered by the police than they do about a man not standing for an anthem, he wouldn't need to protest.

What he's doing is rallying the troops to take a stand. If all the black players in the NFL, NBA, and MLB took the same stand, I guarantee there would be some understanding and awareness.

Movements take sacrifice. And I applaud the young man for being willing to sacrifice for what he believes is right.

How much worse can it get? Police officers are still murdering unarmed black people and not being sentenced. Please let me know how it can get worse so I can tell some of the mothers who have lost their son or husband.
    White folks sitting around acting like their is no truth to what he has said is what increases the problem.

As I said in another thread sometime back. From a Christian perspective, this mass stick our heads in the sand and act like nothing is going on is the same approach a lot of Christians took during slavery and Jim Crow until they were forced to confront the truth from the bombing in Birmingham and the foolishness on the Edmund Pettus Bridge.

6. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I just said in the other thread, Kappy has been radicalized. Guess the freak will have to remove the loads of tattoos he has all over his body.

Let him sit there. Jimbo Harbaugh brought out the best of him but I doubt Chip Kelly, as good a head coach as he is, won't be able to do much with him now. He didn't revolutionize the QB position, and he's not going to revolutionize football. "Of course, we didn't pick up that LB blitz, Colin!".

7. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just like everything you say is your opinion. I don't even have a response to you other than to suggest that his technique is "the very same technique" used by Dr. King is not properly giving weight to Dr. King's legacy. Dr. King didn't do publicity stunts. He took stands when his life and health were on the line. Eventually he paid the ultimate price for doing so.

Context matters. That's the difference.

Fighting injustice is good. It just has to be done the right way.

Everyone can have fans.

Possibly.

We'll see.

More, and more often

I agree with this part.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a fan!

[​IMG]

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In fact I have a lot of fans!

[​IMG]

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I think he already knew there might be some backlash. But by and large , the black community is with him.

And I think you're gonna see more and more black and white people expressing their discontent with the systemic racism evident in the policing in this country.

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Man the only legacy I care about is that of Jesus Christ. Dr. King walked on the same sinful soil that I do.

Publicity stunts? Kaepernick made it clear what his purpose is. Just because you think it's a publicity stunt doesn't make it so.

He's standing against wrong in the same manner that Jesus did. So yes, context matters.

And who gets to decide the "right way" for the folks who are the recipients of the injustice? The oppressors?

That's as bad as having little boys go to confession with the priests who were molesting them.

Yep. I'm now one.

12. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then don't invoke Dr. King as justification for someone's actions.

Publicity stunts have purpose. Some are for visibility; others are for awareness or other issues.

Remind me again when Jesus was rich and made a public gesture made noticeable only because he was good at playing a game.

Does Kaepernick have a point? Yes, I would say so. I disagree with parts of what he says, but I get his idea.

My point is that you don't have to make your point through deliberate insults. That creates backlash. And if you're trying to stop brutality against minorities, then creating backlash is probably not the best idea.

Prior to this event, Kaepernick could have had a voice that spoke to all kinds of people. He's narrowed his window with his actions.

I'm sure that Kaepernick isn't exactly representative of those being oppressed. He may have experienced some discrimination in his life, but he's a wealthy NFL QB, not someone just barely getting by. That makes a difference.

He can protest, and if he feels passionately, he should protest. I just wish he had chosen another way.

We really aren't on opposite sides here. Unlike some on here, I don't oppose BLM, etc. I just think Kaepernick did more harm than good.

That's your right, obviously.

13. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I didn't invoke Dr. King. The only person I ever invoke is Jesus Christ. Dr. King adopted the wayof Christ. Christ didn't adopt his way.

This is a movement. It isn't a publicity stunt.

I said in the "manner".
    What deliberate insults? He deliberately said what he was NOT trying to do and those who want to say he was insulting are just saying that mostly because they don't like what he said.

The backlash has been created by the folks who don't like his reason for doing what he did. There's already brutality against minorities. His taking a stand against that in the manner that he has won't do anything but galvanize his support from the black community.

So what? We've had one murder after another of unarmed black men and a lot of white folks have shown that they just don't care.

It's right in that vein of crack cocaine addicts being arrested because so many were black, while the current heroin epidemic users are being called a national health crisis.

White people, even those in the church, have traditionally not responded to anything as an issue to be dealt with unless it was adversely affecting white people.

The people he needed to hear it heard it and understood why he is doing what he is doing.

So?

There were white people who came down from the northeast and marched and died with the Civil Rights leaders back in the 60s. They weren't being oppressed either. But their humanity let them recognize that what was taking place was just WRONG.

Nope. You're speaking from the perspective of a white man. There are plenty of affluent black men who will quickly tell you that their wealth and status has not made racist forget that they are black.

And here again is the crux. You and a lot of white people don't like the way he chose. He chose the way he did , I'm sure in part, because it's time for folks to get their heads out of the sand. As I said before, the oppressors can't tell the oppressed how they should protest.

I never thought we were on opposite sides. :) But I also understand why Kaepernick did what he did the way that he did. And from some perspectives , it may look like he did more damage than good. But I'm telling ya, he will be a modern day Civil Rights leader in the eyes of the black community.

It is indeed. It's been a long time since I've seen a young person with so much to lose willing to sacrifice it to help right a wrong.

So I say Kudos to Colin Kaepernick.

14. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you on this point.

That's right. My point was not that he could never speak up for them. Perhaps I worded it poorly.

I'm also speaking from the perspective of a white man who has a "black" (commonly) first name with a last name that sounds Middle Eastern to the uninformed. I'm certain my resume has been junked on numerous occasions because of these factors. I know that's not the same as being shot by police (which I in no way condone, except when completely justified), but I don't have the experience of the average "Joe Smith."

I also have a serious mental illness and have seen the insides of inpatient ward, so I know what it feels like to be confined against my will (thankfully, only for a short time).

15. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

He hasn't sacrificed anything. Not a single thing. Instead, he's spit in the faces of those who have sacrificed.

If I deliberately say that I'm not trying to hurt you, and then I punch you in the face, it doesn't matter what I said my intentions were. It matters what I did.

He can say all he wants about not intending to insult the military and those who made a sacrifice. But actions speak louder than words. And when his actions are in direct contradiction to his words, his words become mute.

I couldn't care less what his reasons were. He disrespected me. He disrespected my battle buddies. He disrespected the revolutionaries. He disrespected the flag. Whatever his reasons, whether I agree with them or disagree with them, he did something deplorable. Of course, I'll fight to the death for his right to do so. But I will hate his actions all the same.

So says you and the BLM (proven liars, btw). When I've looked at the cases myself (and even you will have to admit that I'm being absolutely honest) I've agreed with a few. But the "big" ones have all shown to be absolute nonsense (Brown, Martin, etc). I've seen a few videos that show police overacting or going too far. But most aren't. Some are even perfect textbook examples of how to handle a suspect, and yet because the suspect is black, the police are automatically in the wrong.

Again, he has sacrificed nothing. Rosa Parks? Now she took a stand. She stood to lose something. She was willing to sacrifice. In 1951, those thirteen parents who filed "Brown vs The Board of Education", they had something to lose and were willing to sacrifice.

Those people are heroes. This football player with nothing to lose? He's not.

There are some perceived wrongs here. That's a fact. My perception is that there isn't nearly as many as are claimed, and I stand by that it is a fact that many that are claimed aren't. But there's a way to do things, and there's a way to not do things in order to exact a change. His way isn't the way to do things.

Look at the real heroes. Did they insult anyone? No. Did they harm anyone? No. Did they threaten violence? No. They took a peaceful stand, and they won.

Now look at BLM. Insulting? Yes. Harming? Yes (financially, obstructing justice, etc). Threatening? Yes (releasing the address of perceived murderers and sending letters threatening their life).

Do you really want to compare this horrid, horrible movement to those champions from the past? There is no comparison. They are nothing like those who took a stand in the past.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Considering his current on field performance, local sports talk has posited this may be his way out. The Niners cut him for non-performance and nobody picks him up for the same reason. In his mind, he gets to blame racism rather than his inability to hit open receivers.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it hasn't. If that were true, then why are we continuing to discuss his behavior instead of the issue it was supposed to have drawn attention to?

As much as you keep trying to bring up the issue he was trying to highlight, the discussion continues to focus on his behavior, and not what you want to try to keep pointing his behavior towards.

Thus, it failed, whether you wish to admit it or not.

Even he admits that he probably should have done something differently. I'm not disputing his reasons for what he did; I think he has valid points, and I agree with him on those points. But he used the wrong method.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you said. Completely.

I'm also reminded of the concept of the offensiveness of the gospel. Yes, the gospel is inherently offensive, but our preaching of the gospel doesn't need to be MORE offensive.

Being deliberately offensive is OK if there are no other means available, but if there is a less offensive way to achieve the same objective, we should always opt for the less offensive option.

Kaepernick didn't take that option.

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    King was an adulterer, and su h shall not inherit the kingdom.