1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Who changed the sabbath?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Jason1, Jun 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Nice jest except for the blasphemy!

Yeshua didn't change the sabbath. He kept it just as His Father told him to. Anyone following a lawless Jesus is following the wrong guy.

The catholic church did try to change it and duped over a billion people into disobedience. It is their "mark" and they stand in opposition to the Most High.

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This makes no sense! Can you have eternal life and not be in his favor? If you can't have eternal life without being in his favor and that is defined by pleasing him by your works, then it is not a "gift" but it is merited by remaining in his favor by works.

Jerked out of context. What in the world is being described in verse 22 if it is not good works all done "in your name"? Their "many mighty works" did not keep them in his favor. They are called workers "of iniquity" because they attempted to enter heaven on the combination of faith ("Lord, Lord" plus their own works ("have we not done"). Look at the parable that concludes this sermon. There is no difference in the houses (life of works) but the difference is the foundation upon which those houses are built. That foundation is none other than Jesus Christ and his finished works that satisifed both the righteousness of the law and its penalty against his people (1 Cor. 3:11). What is it in the context that constitutes "doing the desire of my Father"? First it is a state of being or condition "Blessed ARE" (Mt. 5) - born again state. Second, it is having a righteousness that exceeds the best of religious men (Mt. 5:20) but equals the best of God (Mt. 5:46). Third, it is that righteousness received through new birth (Mt. 5) being manifested in the daily life as evidence of salvation, evidence of having been built upon the rock. Jason, you don't even know the abc's of Biblical sin or salvation and you need to stop trying to teach what you simply don't know and listen.

3. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This same authority was given to the Universal (Catholic) Christian Church. God makes a broad pronouncement and His chosen leaders on earth fill out the details. Christianity is the fulfillment of Judaism, so yes both are true - each within it's own time.

#63 Adonia, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  4. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The change was accepted by all of Christendom. It was only over a thousand years later that heretics arose to say something different.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No,m rather that the Church is not under the Sabbath now, but under the Lord Day, as they net and assembled on Sunday!

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So are you saying if we do not follow the OT sabbath we are lost and without God?

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And how was that? To heal on the sabbath? To instruct the healed man to carry his pallet on the sabbath? To "see the faith" of those who chopped a big hole in somebody's roof on the sabbath?

8. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Actually neither is true... All based upon a lie.

9. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yeshua commanded him to carry it in opposition to their oral law not to do it. Picking up something light is not work, but the pharisees deemed it was.

10. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Very possibly. The churches are in rebellion against the command of YHVH and punishment follows defiance.

Rev 22:14 “Blessed are those doing His commands, so that the authority shall be theirs unto the tree of life, and to enter through the gates into the city.

11. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Their works" yes. YHVH's commands - no. There is a big difference.

Iniquity = sin = breaking torah (1 john 3:4).

Jesus is the foundation because he is the living word (torah is the foundation also - same thing).

I'm not the one taking these out of context, but applying the proper interpretation of what sin is.

12. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is a true statement in all likelihood you are doing as you say.

#72 BobRyan, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  13. Jason1

Jason1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So do you simply rest from all your labors on the 7th day sabbath then if it is true?

I use sunday as one of my main work days as they did back then.

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just how 'light' was it? and how heavy can an object be that you are nasty for carrying it on that day?
    And how about those roof choppers? Is that work? Jesus saw their faith.
    You keep bringing up the Pharisees, and their self-appointed determination of what is 'work' on the sabbath. It's you who is like them, thinking you can tell everyone else what they can or can't do.
    What do you think about "sabbath elevators?" That's one I've only recently heard of. Apparently they are elevators that continually go up, then down, stopping at every floor, so the rider therein need not 'work' by pushing a button. How much more work have they already exerted by being where they are?
    Do you light a fire on the sabbath? Observant Jews take that in modern times to mean they can't change the position of a light switch.
    And do you think a person should be stoned for gathering wood on the sabbath? [you don't need to involve the Pharisees in that one.]

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I was just saying that the person posted a comment admitting that the 7th day Saturday is the Sabbath - but he worships on Sunday "anyway" and ignores the Sabbath as a "day of holy convocation" Lev 23:1-4 where "from Sabbath to Sabbath all mankind shall come before Me to worship" Is 66:23.

I agree that is what he is doing - but I don't agree that I am doing the same thing. Maybe I need to add a comment to my post to clarify.

16. John Yurich

John Yurich Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed.Nobody can edit/change God's Word - His Law --as Christ pointed out in Mark 7:6-13

In fact under the New Covenant "the LAW is written on the heart and mind" Jeremiah 31:31-33

There is not one text in the Bible saying "week day 1 is the Lord's Day" nor a single text saying "the Lord's Day is the day of the week - each week - that Christ was raised from the dead -- weekly"

"There REMAINS therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God" Heb 4:9
    "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship" Isaiah 66:23
    "EVERY Sabbath" BOTH Jews and Gentiles attended the synagogue for Gospel preaching Acts 18:4.
    "the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12
    The 5th commandment is "the First commandment WITH a promise" Eph 6:2 in that still-valid-unit-of-Ten

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Matthew 5 - Jesus condemns not only rebellion against the Law of God - He also condemned "teaching others" to do it.

I think we would all agree on that point.

19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And after he died, we are not under law but now grace!

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    even in the NT "SIN IS transgression of the Law" 1 John 3:4
    even in the NT "the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12
    Even in the NT "do we abolish the Law of God by our faith? God forbid! in fact we ESTABLISH the LAW " Rom 3:31
    Even in the NT "it is not the hearers of the LAW that are just before God but the DOERS of the LAW WILL BE justified... on the day when according to my GOSPEL God will judge" Rom 2:13-16
    Even in the NT "this is the NEW Covenant ... I will write My LAW on their heart and mind" Hebrews 8:6-10
    Even in the NT - breakers of God's Law - are in sin. James 2.
    8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you do well; 9 but if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.