Why do fundamentalists tend to use the KJV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by wfdfiremedic, Jul 19, 2010.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Faith in His word, not human reasoning. Which is why, while many IFB churches primarily use the KJT, only a tiny few make it a part of doctrine.

As stated earlier back when this thread was on topic, most IFB churches who use the KJT do so because of tradition. It was what we 'have always used' and some see no need to change now.

Most do not make it a doctrinal issue, just a matter of choice. This is a stand with which I have no problem.

2. Mexdeaf New Member

Your own words argue against you. No one here doubts that we have the accurate and preserved Word of God. We just doubt that God thinks so highly of King James and of the Jacobean English language to make that the 'be all to end all' of English translations.

3. Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

interesting

We have a local IFB church which relatives of mine attend. It is a small church and VERY KJVO. In fact, they have a symbol that consists of a cross with a KJV on one arm and 1611 on the other arm that covers half the stage. This symbol is used on all of their material.

I do attend now and then just to visit with relatives at their place of worship and just keep my mouth shut when that issue arises (at least once per sermon). I would say that this is one of the most radical of the KJVO's I have ever seen. . . . and imagine, I didn't know what a KJVO was until I was in my 40's (I'm in my 50's now). I have thought about taking at least one of my Greek NT's to visit, but I would hope they wouldn't do something at our church that is probably just as ridiculous if we were to compare it to actual Biblical theology.

Let me add that they are a GOOD group of Christians and with the exception of that issue they take their faith in Jesus seriously. I'm afriad, however, that if I were to argue with the theology I would become an enemy very quickly. That is the sad part.

4. TomVols New Member

I can't believe it took this long for the thread to be derailed.

5. Mexdeaf New Member

I apologize for my part.

6. Winman Active Member

How has it been derailed? The question was why so many fundamentalist churches tend to use the KJB? I answered showing several Statements of Faith from IFB churches that use only the KJB. This is a very direct answer to the OP and is no derailment whatsoever.

It is not tradition, it is because they believe the scriptures have been preserved in the Received Text upon which the KJB is based.

7. Winman Active Member

[off topic]

8. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it's about 1,000 less words than the RT.

Yes, but they did it unwittingly.

9. jbh28 Active Member

This would be the derailment. The thread isn't about kjv only.

If the question was why do kjv only churches use the KJV, then you would be onto something. But the thread is why do fundamentalist tend to use the KJV. Most, it is not because of KJV only.

10. Mexdeaf New Member

Deleted- off topic and a waste of time anyways...

11. Mexdeaf New Member

To get back to the OP, the simple answer is tradition. Nothing wrong with that unless the tradition becomes a god.

12. Winman Active Member

That's baloney, tradition is not the reason. That is why I showed the Statement of Faith of several IFB churches. They all said they believed God's word was perserved in the Received Text. I could show you another 500 IFB churches that will say the same thing.

13. jbh28 Active Member

why don't you do that then

14. Mexdeaf New Member

"Monkey see, monkey do" doesn't make it Scriptural. I could have shown you 500 IFB churches in the 70's that prohibited wire-rimmed glasses and guitars in the pulpit, but that doesn't make it right or wrong.

15. Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    These must all be REVISED or NEW church doctrinal statements. None before 1965 that I've ever seen made such statements.

Many said the Bible was the inspired word of God but only after the Adventist's claim did any say only the KJV was the word of God. Adventist error was picked up (gracious word for plagiarized and stolen) and then passed on.

A whole new "doctrine" of "preservation of the KJV" or the "supposed KJV Greek manuscripts" had to be sucked out of the air. Then the poor missionaries with other languages - one our home church dropped was all upset because some Spanish translation was not based on the KJV. And a pastor at our camp rewrote the Greek to match the KJV (that leads to burning in hell imho) if you can imagine.

It is a modern phenomenon and hopefully, like the Adventists learned, it will run its course and be only a slight blip on the radar of fundamentalism.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Closing this thread since it has morphed into a discussion taking place on another one.