1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why do people think that Baptists came from AnaBaptists?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, May 5, 2020.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are justified fully the moment trust in and receive Jesus as Lord, and then good works shall follow a true salvation!

• Like Like x 1
  3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 'works' to which James is referring:

27 Pure religion and undefiled before our God and Father is this, to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world. Ja 1
    15 If a brother or sister be naked and in lack of daily food,
    16 and one of you say unto them, Go in peace, be ye warmed and filled; and yet ye give them not the things needful to the body; what doth it profit? Ja 2

...are the very same works of which we're all going to be judged by in that day of judgement:

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
    35 for I was hungry, and ye gave me to eat; I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink; I was a stranger, and ye took me in;
    36 naked, and ye clothed me; I was sick, and ye visited me; I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
    41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels:
    42 for I was hungry, and ye did not give me to eat; I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink;
    43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in; naked, and ye clothed me not; sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Mt 25

Thus:

5 but after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up for thyself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;
    6 who will render to every man according to his works:
    7 to them that by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and incorruption, eternal life: Ro 2

Justification by faith ALONE is unscriptural.

4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 4:5, ". . . But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. . . ."
    Titus 3:5, ". . . Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, . . ."
    Ephesians 2:8-9, ". . . For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, . . ."

6. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well now. Good works come out of Salvation. Faith without works is dead. Better a living Baptist than a dead one.

7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok. Nothing about justification by faith ALONE. You're ADDING to the scripture/gospel when you argue for justification by faith ALONE.

8. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you talking about before turning to Christ or after? There is a difference, at the least, I hope you understand the difference.

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ALONE aka without works.

10. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back to the topic, has nobody mentioned John Smyth's interactions with the Mennonites while he and Helwys were forming the beginnings of the General Baptists?

11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith apart from works is barren?
    24 Ye see that by works a man is justified, and not only by faith. Ja 2

12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Grace has through faith in Christ. Those three are not alone. The term alone is used in regards to faith without works in order to be saved. Romans 4:5.

13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Believe how you want. The religous and lost trust in their works, Matthew 7:21-23. Justification by faith without works is not the same as being justified by works. One is saved by the former, without works. The latter justification in one's works is a matter of actaully having being saved without the works in the first place, Ephesians 2:10, 2 Corinthians 5:17.

#33 37818, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
  14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...is NOT found in scripture as regards justification by faith. You're ADDING to the gospel. (actually you're thoughtlessly parroting an error you've been taught)

15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The regenerate are apt to not even realize they're doing good works:

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungry, and fed thee? or athirst, and gave thee drink?
    38 And when saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
    39 And when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? Mt 25

...because of the law that has written upon their hearts these works come NATURALLY:

13 for not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified:
    14 (for when Gentiles that have not the law do by nature the things of the law, these, not having the law, are the law unto themselves;
    15 in that they show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness therewith, and their thoughts one with another accusing or else excusing them); Ro 2

The 'heart change' which instills 'the golden rule' in his redeemed and brings about faith in Christ must occur BEFORE anything else.

16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never tbe problem foi the regenerate. It is a problem for the religous and lost trusting in works not according to God's wiii, Matthew 7:21-23.

17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not adding anything. You disallow an interpretation you do not like.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Abraham and David justified before God by faith alone!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One musty before justified before God and have the rebirth before good works even count for anything at all!

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His justification seems to be quite catholic here!