1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why I am not a Calvinist.. the ACTUAL topic of this thread

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by BobRyan, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saved-By-Grace

Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't really know where you guys get your theology from? You speak of a sinners always wanting to reject Jesus Christ, this is complete nonsense. I was not saved till I was over 20 years old (I am 56 now), and yet I cannot remember a day when I wanted to reject Jesus Christ, and even though brought up in a Church of England home, never even heard about Jesus! If you ask the nuns of the Roman Catholic church, if they "reject" Jesus, will probably thing you are off your head! As the Apostle Paul says, HOW shall they hear, IF no one TELLS them?

No sinner can ever come to Jesus Christ for salvation, in and off them selves, as they must respond to the convicting of the Holy Spirit, Who would be calling them to Jesus for salvation. Salvation starts from the Lord in the sinner.

God responds to Cornelius, who was seeking Him in prayer, by sending Peter with the Gospel Message for the salvation of his soul. Did you read verses 34-35 in chapter 10 of Acts?

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see much a difference (actually, I don't see a difference at all) between saying "all who believe in Him" and "whosoever believes in Him" will have everlasting life.

That said, you are right that John 3:16 deals with God's universal love for all mankind. Calvinism itself does not teach otherwise. Calvinism (the Canons of Dort) teaches that Christ died for all mankind that all who believe would be saved.

3. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I might be wrong here. But does not Calvinism teach that only the elect were actually "redeemed" on the cross by Jesus Christ? And, that from eternity past, God has chosen only the elect, who will come to Him for their salvation? If this is the case, how can Jesus have "died for all mankind", that is, for their sins? There is no point in the argument used by some, who say that all the human race does benefit from Christ's death, and then say that it is that He makes the sun and rain fall on the whole world. This is a useless argument, as for 1000's of years before Jesus came, the sun and rain were blessing the lost!

4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think you'll find it is. :)
    I don't think you'll find I do, but it is for you to prove.
    whatever that means.
    If by 'the WORLD' you mean all the people in the world then either you or the Bible is mistaken because not all people are convicted. Spend a few hours in door-to-door visitation, especially in Britain and you will see what I mean. 'WORLD' here means both Jew and Gentile.' But the question here is whether the 'DRAWING' is effectual or ineffectual. God's drawing is always effectual.
    'And He said to him, "Follow Me." So he left all, rose up and followed Him' (Luke 5:27-28).
    "My sheep hear My voice and I know them and they follow Me" (John 10:27).
    'But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb and called me through his grace to reveal his Son in me.....' (Galatians 1:15-16).
    'But God.......even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ' (Ephesians 2:4-5).
    On the contrary, I have answered you posts assiduously. You have yet to make an effective answer to my posts #12 and #30.
    It is necessary, when discussing Bible doctrines to compare Scripture with Scripture. The truth of God's word is not found in 'It is written,' but in 'It is written again' (Matthew 4:6-7). The devil can quote Scripture.
    So you admit the doctrine of 'Total Depravity'? Perhaps we're getting somewhere. Yes, the sovereign power of God gives life to the spiritually dead, but it does not give those raised the power to put themselves back to death.

So you believe that God will put His laws in someone's mind and write them on his heart, be his God, and make him one of His people and he may yet not be saved and may yet refuse the Gospel? Sheesh!
    Yep! It's true though. You yourself admit that people cannot make themselves good.
    :Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao Have you never read sermons by Spurgeon, Whitefield and other great Calvinist preachers on this very text? Why on earth would you suppose that Calvinists don't believe it.
    I answer your texts one at a time. If you don't like my answers, that's your problem. You have made precious little effort to deal with my texts.
    All dealt with in my posts #12 and #30. I can cut and paste them for you again if you like. :)

I can see that there are two more posts waiting for me, but I have a life outside this forum, so that will be all for now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinism does teach that those who believe (the elect) were chosen from the foundations of the earth. Some Calvinists teach that God chose out of fallen men a people to save. Other's teach that God chose prior to the Fall to save a people. So there are some differences.

Calvinism itself teaches that Christ died for all mankind indiscriminately (John Calvin taught this in his Institutes), but that Christ also died to save only those who believe (so the atonement - that is, having one's sins atoned for - is discriminate. Only those who believe will be saved.

I believe their error goes far deeper than TULIP.

6. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 John 2:2 says, "And He Himself is the propitiation concerning our sins, and not concerning ours only, but also concerning the whole world."

where the Greek, "ἱλασμός", means "atonement, sin-offering" (Liddell and Scott Greek lexicon). The LXX uses "ἱλασμός" for the Hebrew "kippur" (atonement, Brown, Driver, Briggs Hebrew lexicon).

"the whole word" is not limited to the saved only, which is seen from the same phrase in chapter 5, verse 19, where the saved are contrasted to the wicked world. The conservative Bible commentary of Jamieson, Fausset and Brown, says this on 1 John 2:2

"Also for the sins of the whole world. Christ's advocacy is limited to believers (1Jn_2:1; 1Jn_1:7): His propitiation extends as widely as sin: note, 2Pe_2:1, "the whole world" cannot be restricted to the believing portion (cf. 1Jn_4:14 and 1Jn_5:19). 'Thou, too, art part of the world: thine heart cannot think, The Lord died for Peter and Paul, but not for me' (Luther)."

7. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I live in England and the opposition to the Gospel is here just as it all over the world!

I keep seeing your reasoning in many places, that "world" means "Jews and Gentiles". Did you know that this is exactly the same as saying, the "entire world"? The human race consists of TWO, Jews and non Jews, if you were the one, then you were not the other. When Paul says that he took the Gospel to the Jews first, he means the whole nation of Israel. And when he says that thereafter he was to take the Gospel to the Gentiles, he meant the rest of the human race. I don't see any other way to understand this?

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The desire of God is not the same as His will though, and Jesus death secured a certain salvation for some, not just a possibility for all!

9. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    can you provide any Scriptures for this? This sounds very much that God is not sincere in His desire to save everyone, because though He does, yet His will forbids this? Because Reformed theology has done away with human free will and responsibility, they have resorted to such absurd reasoning.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do not do away with human free will and responsibility, but we state that the free will remaining is in bondage to our sin natures, no longer have real and total free will, as there are things now that we will no longer want to even do!

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Calvin did not restrict the "whole world" to the elect. Neither does Calvinism. Jesus is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe. Again, you are not arguing against Calvinism but against some Calvinists.

12. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Name one person in this thread who has claimed John Calvin died for him/her.

Can you say "red herring?"

13. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    my point is why do people have the need to call themselves, "Reformed" or "Calvinist", etc, why not just a Christian or follower of Jesus Christ?

14. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    where in Scripture does it say that our wills are in bondage?

15. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    in what way is Jesus Christ the Savior of the whole world? Can ALL then be saved? what does this do to the teaching that God elected some to eternal life, and left the rest?

16. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

17. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem here is that if you understand propitiation rightly, then you have universal salvation. Propitiation is a transaction between the Son and the Father and we can neither ratify nor nullify that transaction. So it must be that "whole world" means something other than everyone without exception.

The Archangel

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus said that we are enslaved to slave, that ONLY those whom he set free are really free, correct?

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, would be restricted to meaning just to whom was the transaction actually intended to benefit?

20. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    This means that after a sinner is saved, that they are "free" from the Old Covenant under the "law", and made alive in Jesus Christ. A spiritual exchange takes place. It has nothing to do with the teaching like that of Luther on the "bondage of the will"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.