1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why I do what I do the way I do it

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

How will you know if I've done the work?

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No. But it should not try to be the feet either.

Neither should the feet try to be the hands, etc...

If you are a scholar, a God-gifted teacher- speak like one.

If you are not- do not.

If the hands try to be the feet and hoist the body up on themselves and attempt to carry the body wherever it goes then they are destined to hurt themselves and the Body.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You show it.

You quote your sources. We ought to do that anyway.

4. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Luke

I am 100% disabled with a mental handicap, but I would still rather have my handicap than your arrogant, superior, condescending, nasty attitude towards others.

You have to remember that we are ALL students of the Bible. You have not cornered the market on 100% biblical understanding and knowledge.

Furthermore, you are NOT God's enforcer. It is not your job to smash everyone to bits that you don't agree with.

Can you spell d-o-g-m-a-t-i-c?

You may have left the IFB because they are dogmatic, but you have become just as dogmatic as any radical IFBer I have ever seen. Are you kin to Jack Hyles? Was he your father?

This thread is a joke..

Amy was right, this thread is just plain dumb.

John

#44 seekingthetruth, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2011
  5. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I agree, but I do think it should serve as a warning to temper those of us who are not up to the level of Jesus, Paul, or the prophets in our handling of real people who have real misunderstandings about difficult texts in the Bible, lest we become convinced that the definition of "righteous anger" is "I am right, and I am angry."

6. seekingthetruth

Besides Luke:

If you weren't wrong then you wouldn't be trying so hard to justify yourself.

John

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

This thread makes me wonder what was going through William Tyndale's mind as he was translating the bible into English for the "common plow boy" to read and understand. I wonder if he supplied a copy of systematic theology with each bible he hid in all those sacks of flour to be smuggled to Christians.

8. seekingthetruth

Luke

I have a verse for you:

1Ti 3:6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

This is refering to the qualifications for a church elder (pastor or deacon). But since you are assuming the role of elder here on the BB i figure it applies to you also.

Do you think all of that pride you have might just be a sign that you are a novice? I hope youdon't fall.

John

9. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

:smilewinkgrin:

10. seekingthetruth

Evidently he is the brain.....just ask him

John

11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This message is hidden because Luke2427 is on your ignore list.

:sleeping_2:

12. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

It sure is nice to know that Jesus doesn't have this arrogant attitude toward us non-intellectuals that Luke does. Some people value God's Word and His approval; some value education and elitism.

Good thing Luke was not around during the early church; he would have been critical of the unlearned Apostles, and no doubt would have criticized their lack of education. Perhaps he would have been more sympathetic toward the Pharisees; they were very well educated.

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

:

That is not in question.

14. seekingthetruth

Yes it is. You have it very clear that those of us that are not as educated as you should keep our mouths shut.

John

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

If it is arrogant to believe that it is evil for people to handle the Word of God haphazardly then I am proud to bear the title.

But when someone knows nothing of the things I speak about in the OP and interprets the word of God on a public forum like this as if he does know what he is talking about- that is the epitome of arrogance. He does not care what the Church has historically believed- I think that means he has a dark heart. He does not care what the text says in the original language- he is moved by dark forces.

True humility will drive a man to study and handle the word of God with wisdom and reverence.

And I think true humility will drive a man to despise and condemn the arrogance of those who do not care enough to study a text properly before they proclaim their inept interpretation of it.

16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No sir. I have said no such thing.

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Tyndale began a Bachelor of Arts degree at Hart Hall (later Hertford College) of Oxford University in 1512; the same year becoming a subdeacon. He was made Master of Arts in July 1515 and was held to be a man of virtuous disposition, leading an unblemished life.[6] The MA allowed him to start studying theology, but the official course did not include the study of scripture. He was a gifted linguist, over the years becoming fluent in French, Greek, Hebrew, German, Italian, Latin, and Spanish, in addition to his native English.[7] Between 1517 and 1521, he went to the University of Cambridge. Erasmus was the leading teacher of Greek there from August 1511 to January 1512, but during Tyndale's time at the university Erasmus was away.[8] According to Monyahan, Tyndale may have met Thomas Bilney and John Frith whilst there.[9]

18. seekingthetruth

You said we should not comment on things we have no knowledge of. Well, we all have some knowledge or we wouldnt' be able to comment at all. So, i guess it comes down to the degree of knowledge we have. And how do we determine that?

I assume that since you are the one complaining about us "ignorant" people that you are also the standard we must meet in order to intelligently converse.

Which in a nutshell means that if we are not as smart as you then we should keep our mouths shut.

John

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Tyndale was a brilliant man, but apparently you missed my point. The Christians that received his smuggled bibles were ignorant! They had been denied the scriptures for many years. Who taught them?

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The point is that Tyndale was an extraordinarily brilliant man who wanted to enable the common man to become greater scholars of Scripture than the current corrupt clergy of his day.

To argue that Tyndale did not see the value, indeed the necessity of an understanding of original languages, etc... is to argue nonsense.

Tyndale knew where the process must begin- with common people having the Scriptures. You have absolutely no support for this idea that Tyndale thought that that is where it should end- none.

I contend, based on the fact that he himself was VERY educated, that he saw the value in education.

Do you doubt this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.