Why is there evil in the world?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Amy.G New Member

What?????

There was a "time" before Satan's fall, before the fall of man, when evil did not exist and God was praised by the angels.

There will be a time in the future when Jesus will put all His enemies under His feet and once again evil will be non existent, for all eternity.

God needs NOTHING to cause Him to be praised. He is praised because HE IS.

2. Amy.G New Member

That's a dumb question. It's like asking if God was a giant purple people eater would He still be God. :rolleyes:

3. Luke2427 Active Member

For MERCY, Amy- you're not paying attention.

Tell us how He gets praises for mercy.

4. quantumfaith Active Member

5. quantumfaith Active Member

6. Luke2427 Active Member

7. Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are miss representing what I said. God has responsibility for his creation especially since they are free moral agents. God is accountable to himself and cannot act contrarily to his nature. If Man sins its on him and he reaps what he sows. It just so happens that man has sin and is reaping the consiquenses of it. I did not say God is accountable to sinners. He is not accountable to sinners. That is an entirely different thing. Sinners are accountable to God acting contrarily to his plan for them they then are sinners. God provides salvation to all men who would avail themselves of it. God therefore acts justly. This would not be the case if double predestination were in effect. Your view suggest that they acted according to how God designed them thus how could they have sinned?

8. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TS...You seriously feel that all men are Moral free agents?

9. Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe man has an ability to choose. I believe that man has the inclination, leaning, conquisipence, tendency, etc to sin and that his judgement is marred by sin. But I do not go to the extent of Calvin. I don't see his view reflected in scripture and I definately don't see it reflected in reality. If you have a propensity for something you can still choose against it. After all didn't God warn Cain not to give into his desire? If Cain could do nothing other than murder his brother God was wasting his time and Cain's time by warning him not to do it. However, God gave Cain insite into Cain's own nature and how sin affected it. Sin is lying in wait and will pounce if given the opportunity. Cain gave it the opportunity but I don't believe it was a foregone conclusion.

10. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you do not believe that Human kind is born innately bad....is that where we differ? thats our disagreement point, that you believe that man is born good & has to be on his guard against sin so as not to be tripped up? I just want to make sure I have that correct before you & I go into a long discussion & then open it up for the fanatics on both sides start throwing around their nonsense which I find highly comical.

In fact, & I know you can appreciate this.....I find these guys who get real serious, funnier than heck & they have been over the last few months a rich source of amusement for me. :tongue3:.... Keep it up fellas cause I really love a great belly laugh.

11. quantumfaith Active Member

EWF, is it the Marine in you that has you up so early. 940 here in Dublin

12. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ROFL..... the Marine in me would be in a pub sampling the suds of life in Dublin & I hope your thoroughly enjoying yourself along with Mrs Dave.
    How was your flight?

13. quantumfaith Active Member

It was great. Uneventful, just how I prefer flights. Went to pub last night for some dinner, Guiness's and Irish Music and dance. Who says, white men cant dance. These Irish are fantastic dancers. A couple of more Guiness and even I may have been able to dance.:smilewinkgrin:

14. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Im actually meeting with Chris Christy this AM.....My fat little dumpling of a governor, to see if we can get New Jersey rolling again. Lots of work to do & I dont think he wants me opposing him. I know his wife, we used to take the train into NYC together.

15. quantumfaith Active Member

Good luck with the meeting. Don't know much about him, but he is a republican, so he cant be ALL bad.

16. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Splendid....glad to hear your both having a good time. Id say buy yourself one of those warm Irish wool sweaters (their great for warmth & durability) but you live in a warm climate already so you dont need it. I like craftsmanship & those sweaters are a work of art to me.

17. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But ya shouldnt be talking to me...go have a jolly time of it!

18. Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No. I don't believe that either. I believe that man is made in the image of God which is good. I also believe that man has a sin nature a propensity if you will to lean towards sin and not seek God. That is bad. I don't believe the bad does away with all good nor do I believe we are born free of the stain of sin. Man is concieved in sin. However, man still has the imprint of God's image on him. This sin nature must be dealt with as are the sins which we've chosen to do. Jesus Christ deals with both.

19. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Listen, youve been through this & heard all the arguments before. Like you said you made your choice so why belabor the issue. Just dont disrespect my convictions & we can coexist. Really Im not here to become a zealot....rather to learn, to have conversation & to laugh at the sanctimonious self-righteous legalistic nut jobs which up to now haven't disappointed me.

20. Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How can I disrespect an individual who has chosen Catherine Zeta-Jones as an avatar? It has made my sojourn at BB a bit nicer. And now that I think about it I'll have that glass of chilled Mad Elf.