1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Widows

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by MennoSota, Jun 29, 2017.

1. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What proactive plans does your church have in regard to caring for widows?

I notice many churches generally have no plan and often assume that family members are taking care of mom's who have had their husband die.

Are we, the church, failing in God's command that we care for widows and orphans?

2. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Serious question to ponder:

In a time when life insurance, retirement pensions and Social Security reign, is that a command for us?

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Care is not simply financial, but it is for all of life. One of the greatest issues that widows and widowers face is crippling loneliness. The church can help there and it doesn't cost much, if anything.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to stop and say that that has always struck me as a dangerous sentiment. Because the government does not bring with it the Gospel, and it is not the holy people working to God's glory.

Also, the church is called to care for its own to the point of genuinely sacrificial giving on the part of Believers. There are so many verses on this, that I would have to almost reference at least one verse per New Testament book to do an exhaustive treatment.

I'm not being angry or anything, its just that your sentiment seems to possess the distinct ability of leading people astray from biblical commands. I felt I needed to correct it immediately. Of course though, widows who are provided for already should not burden the church (1 Timothy 5:3-10).

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen. I agree entirely.

6. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just to clarify, I wasn't advocating. I was just presenting food for thought. That's why I wrote "serious question to ponder"

Too many times, people see something in the bible saying "do____" or "don't do_____" and give no thought to context.

Actually, I believe Americans have shaped our society in such a way that it's near impossible to live in such a way to honor some biblical principles.

The communal aspect of the early church (and Israel before that) would be mocked by most believers today. People are so career minded, or activity minded, that most have no way of seeing needs in the church.

As Baptist Believer said, it's more thsn monetary. But people seem content to *maybe* give a few bucks and never take a second look.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry I missed that.

Those Believers are being choked by the weeds and thorns in the parable of the sower, though. I was once one of them for years, so I understand they just need help, correction, and love though.

Paul was all about contextualizing the Gospel to his audience, so I definitely agree with you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, so far I see that no one has a church that proactively looks out for its widows.
    I find it interesting how we (myself included) tend to walk around biblical commands that are for the church. We pass it off as a 1st century culture or we find another excuse to not accomplish a task that we are commissioned to accomplish.
    I'm not convinced we are to give that blessing of caring for widows and orphans to the State.

9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is pure "holier than thou" nonsense. Because we don't choose to blab our church's compassionate works before the whole world does not mean our congregation is absent those works.

Matthew 6:3 But when you do merciful deeds, don’t let your left hand know what your right hand does,
    4 so that your merciful deeds may be in secret, then your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It's a command to the churches. No holier than thou because my church has no plan and doesn't look out for its widows.
    This command is in the bible, yet we ignore it.
    Why?

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet many churches have all kinds of programs for youth.

12. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Another subject for sure. We have adopted public school methods from Dewey and placed them in the church.
    Here I am concerned about our failure to have any plan to care for widows. I think the person who talked about life insurance and pensions has some merit. I also think that our visitation efforts are not up to snuff in regard to widows. We seem to have this mentality (myself included) of leaving it for someone else like the pastor to do. We don't have a strategy, as a church, to ensure that our widows are spiritually and emotionally cared for, let alone physically cared for.
    This is just something that is on my heart. TC, I don't mean to make you feel guilty. I just am wondering why this command gets ignored in our churches.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol, guilty? Judging from TC's home base, I would wager that his interaction and support of widows is robust, to say the least.

Offhand, in our local church, I can think of yardwork, home improvements, rides to the doctors office, meals, hospital visits, money to help with bills...and I'm sure instances I don't know about exceed those that I do.

Now, if you'd like to discuss methods, such as a standing widows committee or some other way of tracking care outside of the deacons, I'm all ears. I'm sure we could all learn from each other.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Tennessee Gal

Tennessee Gal Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe an area the church can help a widow, especially if she doesn't have family near by is to help with minor home repairs. I have a friend who doesn't live near her married children. She is active and faithful to her church.There are times something needs repaired and the men say they will help and then put it off or don't do it at all. She didn't ask often and now doesn't ask at all. She doesn't feel valued. She is also on a very limited budget and can't afford to hire things done .

15. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did you get that idea?

My church has all sorts of things going on to help widows and widowers in emotional, spiritual and practical ways. We just had a special prayer service midweek for widows/widowers. We have a program, led through the deacon body, to look in on widows, widowers and shut-ins to visit, take meals/food, and to clean their houses and do repairs if they are not able to do them. Financial assistance is also provided based on needs of the membership, with wealthier members of the church quietly financing helpful gifts. (That actually extends to other members of the church. A couple of years ago when I was in the throes of major health issues and severe cash flow problems because I couldn't work for a few months following a massive surgery, one of the ministers of our church stopped by and she dropped off a sack of groceries with a couple of gift cards for a local grocery store to get specific things. We had not told anyone that we were in need, but our membership is shrewd and thoughtful enough to discern that some help would be appreciated.)

We also have a group of people who regularly sit with the ill and elderly, and also with families while they wait while their loved ones are in surgery. There are many other things that we do that I'm sure I don't know about, but I can tell you of the things above because I have either been involved in that service or have been the recipient of that blessing.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please speak only for yourself, "we" don't.

Good question.

17. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is great! Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the Biblical instructions are for dealing with true widows. Family members bear the responsibility when present.

19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    that command was reapplied to us under the New Covenant also!

20. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We don't. You do.

Why? Backslidden?