1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Widows

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by MennoSota, Jun 29, 2017.

1. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Really? I can tell you that many, many churches fail to care for widows.
    If you don't fail in this specific command, what do you do, exactly?

2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who do you consider a "widow" that should be helped?
    I Tim 5 tells us what widows should be helped.

3. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    James 1
    [27]Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.

4. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would helping widows have to be programmed? Do you really need a standing committee to be a loving, compassionate body? We have widows in our church. Their lawns get mowed, snow shoveled, plumbing fixed, rides to the doctor and hairdresser and a multitude of other needs that are met.

We don't have any committee that attends to that. Usually, someone sees a need -or the widow actually asks for help - and we do what we can to help. That's what churches do. We don't announce our benevolence.

Good neighbors do that sort of stuff, too. Last March we got hit with about 4 foot of snow in a 24 hour period. I took care of about a thousand foot of sidewalk in the neighborhood while two neighbors plowed out driveways. We didn't call the local TV news. We just did it expecting nothing in return.

If your church or neighborhood isn't doing anything about the widows among you; now would be a good time to log off the BB and go do something.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I've hit a nerve.

Good for those who are helping. You're a rare exception.

As for myself, I went to the hospital to see a person who is struggling with her chemo treatment. No need to tell me about caring for others. Check out a thread in another forum to read about what God has brought my family through.
    The question I bring up is not meant as a personal accusation. It is an observation I have made from watching people.

6. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are many Christians who believe that the government needs to get out of the social service business and let the churches handle it. I read somewhere that it would cost EACH church over $700,000 PER YEAR. I'm not seeing that...most Christians aren't going to tithe..they hate that as much as they hate paying taxes. Personally, I feel it's rather selfish to think that all that God has given you is just for you alone.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone helps everyone out where I'm from. Town of 158 people, county seat has 2300 folks, county has 20,000 folks. We all know each other, or at least we know someone that knows someone else, and when somebody has a need, we help. Not being defensive, I ain't perfect, but just a perspective from where I live.

@kyredneck
    lives in the same kinda area. He can probably attest to it as well. If there's a need round here, folks will step up and take care of it. I don't know about other areas of the U.S, but we take care of folks in the mountains, widow or not.

• Like Like x 2
  8. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I grew up in a town of 300 people. In some ways people did help each other out. But, there was a lot of poverty and dysfunction as well.

Now I live in a metro area of 3 million. The new neighbors who moved in over the past 10 years don't want to talk and act as though you are intruding on their privacy by being a kind neighbor. I have met many elderly for whom very few people ever visit, even though there are so many Christians in the neighborhood. Instead, time is spent on personal entertainment, going to concerts, going to sporting events, etc. The choices for being active and doing something often keep people from committing to anything until the last minute when they have eliminated anything they think would be more enjoyable.

I merely observe that people are neglected quite often in the big city. This includes our widows.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is a good subject to bring up and one that is often ignored and I commend you for bringing it to everyone's attention.

I personally help widows in my neighborhood any way I can. In today's world, finances for them is not a big problem, but there are many things that they cannot do around their houses and that is where I come in. I take God's command to help widows seriously and I do what I can.

As for the Church as a whole, I know my denomination has programs for the elderly and my financial contributions help provide for said programs.

10. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is I Tim 5 corrupted?

11. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why would it be?

12. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's right. Ideally, we should all be doing our part in the community and for those near to us.

However, it helps to have some organization so that certain ones don't get neglected in favor of others. That's why our deacon body is in charge of coordinating service ministry:

Now at this time while the disciples were increasing in number, a complaint arose on the part of the Hellenistic Jews against the native Hebrews, because their widows were being overlooked in the daily serving of food. So the twelve summoned the congregation of the disciples and said, “It is not desirable for us to neglect the word of God in order to serve tables. Therefore, brethren, select from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may put in charge of this task. But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” The statement found approval with the whole congregation; and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas and Nicolas, a proselyte from Antioch. And these they brought before the apostles; and after praying, they laid their hands on them. - Acts 6:1-6

In our congregation, the deacons don't rule the church. Their primary function is to serve the needs of people in the congregation and in the community. The men and women of the deacon body also lead and coordinate prayer ministry and work with the pastoral staff on other ministry programs and initiatives.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amen! You are living as Christ said we ought to. At various times I have stopped and helped folks on the road and some have wanted to give me money. My reply is always the same - just pray for me.

14. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to it, widows with children and family are not the responsibility of the Church.

15. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That's not what it says. If the family is able, they should care for their mom.

This is not always possible and so it falls upon the church to care for the widows and orphans.

What Paul does, in writing to Timothy, is give a hierarchy of whom you should help, within that group of widows.

Nowhere does Paul say that widows are not the responsibility of the church.

16. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have no written plans, "bylaws" or anything like that, if that is what you mean. We take 1 Timothy 5:3-16 as the scriptural guidelines in caring for widows. We don't "assume" that family members necessarily are taking care of widows, but we do teach they are the ones who have the first responsibility.

17. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How's that working? What is the size of the congregation?

18. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is the job of the family.

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Count the local church wherein is my membership one of those who are very involved with the well being of each and every elderly/widow/widower and every church attendee but especially the elderly, widows, widowers.

Each one is known to the pastor and deacons with deacons assigned to the various needs as they arise both of monetary and work errand needs (fix a roof, etc).

We also have a Deacon's Benevolent Fund from which resource is taken to assist not only the elderly and widows/widowers but any in the church who are in need.

It works the other way BTW. Some of our widows who are well off are very generous givers.

I believe there are many local churches like my own where members are well looked after by the pastor and deacons.

HankD

• Like Like x 2
  20. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems like you think that serving widows and orphans is an obligation instead of an opportunity to love people and honor Christ.

I don't try to determine whether or not someone "deserves" my assistance before I provide it. I try to determine if I am in a position to help and then if the assistance I can provide would truly benefit the person receiving it.

Sure, people need to take care of their family members, but that does not always happen. Moreover, if we live in a spiritual community, we are called to bear one another's burdens and bless each other with assistance.

• Like Like x 1